Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,833,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I don't hate NoVa--I really like it here. DC is my favorite city I've lived in, and I've lived all over. I don't think people here are any more unfriendly than people anywhere else. I've lived in tiny towns, small cities and huge cities, and people here are no more or less friendly than in any of those other places. I do find it a bit odd that my neighbors are so unfriendly--they make an effort not to wave or say hello. But it was the same way where I grew up, too.

The only thing I don't like about the DC are is that I feel the cuisine isn't quite as good as some other places I've lived. Hubby and I have only found one restaurant in all of DC that we really like in the two years we've been here. We just don't think the food is good here overall. For instance, we love tapas, but haven't liked any of the tapas places we've tried.

I would love to stay here in NoVa if the housing prices weren't so steep. We're thinking about moving to the midwest, haven't made a decision yet.
Thanks for taking up for my hometown! Have you tried this Tapas place in Old Towne Alexandria? I cannot remember the name, but there are two restaurants there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 PM

395 posts, read 524,583 times
[quote=Artsywoman;5325831]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
UGH! Richmond sucks. I did graduate from VCU too and thats about all I could take of that backward town.
Im sorry you cant appreciate RIchmond. Generations of my family have called it home. While its not perfect by any means, its a great city with a lot of potential and it has personality as a I said before.

Do you honestly think that Northern Virginia with its track siding houses, McMansions, Washington Redskins fans in their SUVs, and rows of strip malls is more appealing? To me it ain't. I grew up in Loudoun, and will never move back. Richmond has a more artsy, creative crowd. NOVA has become Yankee through and through. You cant even get sweet tea at most places. I hate what they have done to my Virginia, but I will never move back to Loudoun or NOVA because its simply unliveable there.

In NOVA people go to work, then come home and watch their big screen TVs. Then they get up , go to work and come home again. They never even say "hello" or "kiss my__" to anyone. They are so wrapped up in the SUVs and their McMansions, and their Starbucks coffee.

I like Richmond. I love the Fan. I love Carytown. I love how people dont ask what you do for a living, but rather what church you go to. I think Richmond is more interesting than boring old NOVA.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 PM

834 posts, read 2,280,484 times
Quote:
NOVA has become Yankee through and through.
Considering "yankee" is used to describe the northeast and NOVA is full of people from all over the United States and even other countries, isn't it a bit of a stretch to call the entire region "yankee"? Nevermind stretch, it's completely inacurate. NOVA is a melting pot. If you hate it, that's fine but you can't blame the northeast for everything you don't like.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Considering "yankee" is used to describe the northeast and NOVA is full of people from all over the United States and even other countries, isn't it a bit of a stretch to call the entire region "yankee"? Nevermind stretch, it's completely inacurate. NOVA is a melting pot. If you hate it, that's fine but you can't blame the northeast for everything you don't like.
Im not blaming the Northeast. I just feel that the mentality of NOVA has become more pushy and materialistic. I have met many Northerners who are not at all like that - but the Northeast culture is immersed in that lifestyle.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 PM

40 posts, read 170,876 times
[quote=blueva;5328172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Im sorry you cant appreciate RIchmond. Generations of my family have called it home. While its not perfect by any means, its a great city with a lot of potential and it has personality as a I said before.

Do you honestly think that Northern Virginia with its track siding houses, McMansions, Washington Redskins fans in their SUVs, and rows of strip malls is more appealing? To me it ain't. I grew up in Loudoun, and will never move back. Richmond has a more artsy, creative crowd. NOVA has become Yankee through and through. You cant even get sweet tea at most places. I hate what they have done to my Virginia, but I will never move back to Loudoun or NOVA because its simply unliveable there.

In NOVA people go to work, then come home and watch their big screen TVs. Then they get up , go to work and come home again. They never even say "hello" or "kiss my__" to anyone. They are so wrapped up in the SUVs and their McMansions, and their Starbucks coffee.

I like Richmond. I love the Fan. I love Carytown. I love how people dont ask what you do for a living, but rather what church you go to. I think Richmond is more interesting than boring old NOVA.

Hey BlueVA - its obvious you love Richmond and thats great - I would too if my family had lived there for generations. But I have to say NOVA isn't boring by any stretch, NOVA itself offers a lot in the way of things to do before you even consider that its on DC's door-step.

I heard the stories about VCU from people who go there - while it might be exaggerated it is apparently a known fact that the area around the campus is sketchy.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 PM

[quote=NW2NOVA;5328825]
Quote:

Hey BlueVA - its obvious you love Richmond and thats great - I would too if my family had lived there for generations. But I have to say NOVA isn't boring by any stretch, NOVA itself offers a lot in the way of things to do before you even consider that its on DC's door-step.

I heard the stories about VCU from people who go there - while it might be exaggerated it is apparently a known fact that the area around the campus is sketchy.
Actually its right safe. They have police there at all times. You know, DC is more dangerous than Richmond? Also frankly, being at DC's "doorstep" is what makes NOVA less appealing. Its become so crowded up there. People refuse to live where they work and greedy developers tear up more land so people can have their McMansions.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Im not blaming the Northeast. I just feel that the mentality of NOVA has become more pushy and materialistic. I have met many Northerners who are not at all like that - but the Northeast culture is immersed in that lifestyle.

huh? Again, NOVA/DC is full of people from all over the WORLD. Just look at this board. People who live there are from Washington State, California, the midwest, the southwest, look at the all of the Asians who live there, many of them coming straight from China and Japan, look at all of the people from India. It's a melting pot of people.

And there is no "northeast culture" This is what I was saying to you in another thread. The south likes to talk about being "southern" like it's a race, or ethnicity. It's not. But if they want to think of themselves as such that's fine. People in the northeast do not consider themselves "northern". There is no northern culture. It's more about what ethnic group you are from. Depending on where you are, there are groups of Irish, Italian, Polish, Germans, Indian, Spanish, Jewish, etc sections. People are more into their ethnic group than they are being "northern".

The way DC is, is because it's one of the biggest cities in the US and it's full of people from all over the world. ALL large cities are full of pushy and rude people. All of them. It's just the way large cities are. It has absolutely nothing to do with people from the northeast being there. Sorry but that is so short-sighted.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
huh? Again, NOVA/DC is full of people from all over the WORLD. Just look at this board. People who live there are from Washington State, California, the midwest, the southwest, look at the all of the Asians who live there, many of them coming straight from China and Japan, look at all of the people from India. It's a melting pot of people.

And there is no "northeast culture" This is what I was saying to you in another thread. The south likes to talk about being "southern" like it's a race, or ethnicity. It's not. But if they want to think of themselves as such that's fine. People in the northeast do not consider themselves "northern". There is no northern culture. It's more about what ethnic group you are from. Depending on where you are, there are groups of Irish, Italian, Polish, Germans, Indian, Spanish, Jewish, etc sections. People are more into their ethnic group than they are being "northern".

The way DC is, is because it's one of the biggest cities in the US and it's full of people from all over the world. ALL large cities are full of pushy and rude people. All of them. It's just the way large cities are. It has absolutely nothing to do with people from the northeast being there. Sorry but that is so short-sighted.
I do see your point. There is a Northeast culture though, its just that Northerners are used to it. Only a Southerner would recognize it as such. In general- The Northerners are friendly- but rushed and its just a faster paced environment. Much less social - and more about how much money you make, car you drive. Im not saying that type of thing cant exist in the South- its just that its less accentuated.

Also Northerners tend to say "you guys" instead of "y'all" and dont drink sweet tea in general. Don't really put emphasis as much on going to church, or revivals. Aren't as chatty with the neighbors.

Again- Im not bashing North, its just the difference. And if you relate more to one thing, its just a preference. Im sorry if it offended you. I like people from all over too- I just feel that Northern Virginia is becoming more Northeast in nature because of influx from the North and non-Virginians, and I relate more to Southern way of life.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Only a Southerner would recognize it as such.
As I just proved with the ant/ont topic, it seems that you think if something is not southern, then it must be northern. The north and south make up about 1/3 of the US. That's it. What about the rest of the United States? I still maintain that the DC area is a melting pot just like any other big US city. Northern VA, Maryland are closer to being the northeast in feel....yes..... but DC is the way it is because it's full of people from all over the world. It's its own little world. Just like Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 AM

105 posts, read 352,310 times
Quote:
I do see your point. There is a Northeast culture though, its just that Northerners are used to it. Only a Southerner would recognize it as such. In general- The Northerners are friendly- but rushed and its just a faster paced environment. Much less social - and more about how much money you make, car you drive. Im not saying that type of thing cant exist in the South- its just that its less accentuated.

Also Northerners tend to say "you guys" instead of "y'all" and dont drink sweet tea in general. Don't really put emphasis as much on going to church, or revivals. Aren't as chatty with the neighbors.

Again- Im not bashing North, its just the difference. And if you relate more to one thing, its just a preference. Im sorry if it offended you. I like people from all over too- I just feel that Northern Virginia is becoming more Northeast in nature because of influx from the North and non-Virginians, and I relate more to Southern way of life.
I guess I might be an oddity. I grew up in NoVA and till about 7 years old had a heavy accent due to where we lived. Then throughout middle school it went away.

The oddity part is that I say "you guys" and "y'all" it just depends on who I am speaking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia