Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:25 PM

55 posts, read 141,824 times

Advertisements

yeah i guess it just depends on who you hang out with :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:34 PM

395 posts, read 523,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason0711 View Post
yeah i guess it just depends on who you hang out with :P
I dont want to paint the wrong picture for visitors , thats all.We may have gotton more Northern/Liberal over the years, but many are still Bible Believin'

Shoot, Seminary Schools are right here. Along with The Southern Baptists Missions Boards and The Southern Baptist Convention.
Those hell bound VCU kids are not of my concern, lol

Old 09-20-2008, 04:40 PM

55 posts, read 141,824 times
most vcu kids are from Nova lol

Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 PM

395 posts, read 523,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason0711 View Post
most vcu kids are from Nova lol
Thats because NOVA sucks, lol

Old 09-20-2008, 09:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
I too grew up in Loudoun County and have a Virginia accent (most people think Im from the Shenandoah Valley, though) I say Y'all only but I know a lot of NOVans that say "you guys" pretty much. Y'all is dead up there, more Richmond you hear it.
Good point there: I knew a guy who grew up maybe 60 miles from me in Arlington and he had a very thick Southern accent that I had trouble understanding.

Living here in Arizona; with the exception of some of the 'Hispanics', we really do not have regional accents----------and, I am describing an area (western USA) that would swallow up the Northeast with plenty of room left over.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
So let me see if I understand some of the Richmond loving posts.

Northern VA would some how be comparable to Richmond if it had the following: more evangelicals (no thanks), sweat tea and grits, more residents sympathetic to the "southern" way of life, a Carytown -- which by the way is nothing more than an inferior version of Old Town Alexandria or even the Clarendon area, ohh and less cookie-cutter plastic sprawl that is also ALL OVER the Richmond area aside from right in the city.

And this so called diversity that exists in Richmond has only been apparent to me in areas right next to VCU. Any college campus, especially one that emphasizes the arts is going to have a large amount of diversity regardless of the city or town.

Even though I do love sweat tea, I'm just not buying the Richmond blows NoVa out of the water argument.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM

28 posts, read 76,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I agree. I used to be a regular on this forum, back when I lived in Cascades (Loudoun County).

Then we bought a retirement home in Georgia. After we moved, I stopped posting here.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Georgia. The mountains are beautiful, the people are great, the hiking is awesome.

But now I am back up in Loudoun for an extended visit. And you know what? From the moment I passed over the state border, I began to feel happier. Within 1 day, I started calling myself a Virginian again, and on CD forums I began talking about life in Loudoun County as if I still lived here. I love being home, and yes (to my amusement) I am still calling this "home."

I've actually begun seriously considering a swap with some friends--they can have the house in Georgia, I think I want to move back here.
I work in Loudoun and live in Reston. In ten years, Reston will be another Tysons Corner and Loudoun will be next. I'm glad you like it here. I just hope I can afford to stay.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Jeff, Even though I am gone, I still will always love my home there. I do not understand why people trip out about it up there, but they do. I mean the rent has gotten terrible, and that is why I left mainly, because I couldn't make it on this disability income. I also left because of a crazy ex. I do however email and talk to some friends there and its still my hometown! I love Florida and the beaches too! You have good and bad everywhere.
Artsy, in what part of NoVa did live? IMO, people who aren't from around here think it's just too congested and the real estate is too expensive. but IMHO, you have EVERYTHING here. The mountains are 100 miles west, and the beach is 100 miles east. You can ALWAYS get a job here. Well anyway I keep gushing about it here, but I know it's not for everybody. I've learned to tolerate everything I dislike about it, and I try to remember that if I can't be happy here, I'm never gonna be happy anywhere.
That said, I did have alot of fun in Florida and did want to stay, but, basically, I wasn't ready to leave the nest.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM

177 posts, read 456,577 times
I work in NOVA but live in MD. My experience with NOVA residents have not been all that good. Most I've met were snooty, slightly bigoted, and just a little classist.

That said, loads of cute chicks out in NOVA.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
I work in NOVA but live in MD. My experience with NOVA residents have not been all that good. Most I've met were snooty, slightly bigoted, and just a little classist.

That said, loads of cute chicks out in NOVA.
I have to agree with people on several points. I hate mcmansions as much as the next guy. They are ruining the character of the older neighborhoods. The people who build those things don't care about that, and there is a good example of the selfishness and materialism here in NoVa. Again...it's not just here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia