Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 PM

30 posts, read 82,361 times

Advertisements

I have looked into that in Prince William County you need 60 to 100 homes to approve of the program and at least 50% of the homes have to be active with the watch. My family moved into our come about six months ago and I have tried to talk to my neighbors. I don't feel that a lot of my neighbors wish to be a tight nit community like I hoped they would and quite a few of them are the reckless drivers in question. I just wish they were willing to stand strong and fight this.

I am going to start trying to get to know my neighbors better. I know their are quite a few family's in my community and I wish to get to know them and vise versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 PM

555 posts, read 2,707,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigans Mum View Post
I have looked into that in Prince William County you need 60 to 100 homes to approve of the program and at least 50% of the homes have to be active with the watch. My family moved into our come about six months ago and I have tried to talk to my neighbors. I don't feel that a lot of my neighbors wish to be a tight nit community like I hoped they would and quite a few of them are the reckless drivers in question. I just wish they were willing to stand strong and fight this.

I am going to start trying to get to know my neighbors better. I know their are quite a few family's in my community and I wish to get to know them and vise versa.
That area used to be very tight nit (in the 80's). After that it seemed the "original" home owners moved away (a lot to Lake Ridge). With the foreclosure rate in the state streets it isn't looking any better for the immediate future. I'll PM you about the police aspect of this. You are right for confronting the problem, you can't just let this occur when you have a little kid.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:43 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,996,729 times
I don't think Nemesis said anywhere in their post that the OP deserved any kind of retaliation. The fact is, in this day and age, retaliation IS a fact. Nor can anyway say that someone burns rubber usually isn't the type to be stupid/threatening or daring. There is no way to know what type of person this is...no one knows what other things, if any, this person has/has not done.

I say to the OP, be careful, keep your doors and windows locked and even maybe invest in an alarm system. I would also suggest not intruding on neighbors that don't want to be close knit. Some people just want to keep to themselves. Do, however, find the neighbors who WANT to be friendly and join forces with them to get a watch together or whatever steps are necessary to keep your neighborhood safe.

While I do agree that we shouldn't shut our eyes to things, we also need to be careful when we have children/babies to care for. So it is wise to be VERY discreet.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
That area used to be very tight nit (in the 80's). After that it seemed the "original" home owners moved away (a lot to Lake Ridge). With the foreclosure rate in the state streets it isn't looking any better for the immediate future. I'll PM you about the police aspect of this. You are right for confronting the problem, you can't just let this occur when you have a little kid.
Thank you very much nitrovic. This means alot to me.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Morrigans Mum, please don't be frightened away from your neighborhood, and continue to try to get to know your neighbors. What you're doing is what's necessary to reverse and reclaim communities that have experienced a rough stretch.

Thank you Mike. I have a young family and we vow to do what we can to make at least our street a safer place.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM

194 posts, read 591,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigans Mum View Post
"...expect a brick at your window in the following weeks. You brought it upon yourself...."
That was just foul. You shuld be ashamed of yourself.
Like I stated in my whole explanation that you left out, if the person driving the car is under 20, that is what kids do.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
Like I stated in my whole explanation that you left out, if the person driving the car is under 20, that is what kids do.
Every person I have whiteness looks to be around 20 or obviously older.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 AM

194 posts, read 591,223 times
^ You should be ok then.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I don't think Nemesis said anywhere in their post that the OP deserved any kind of retaliation. The fact is, in this day and age, retaliation IS a fact. Nor can anyway say that someone burns rubber usually isn't the type to be stupid/threatening or daring. There is no way to know what type of person this is...no one knows what other things, if any, this person has/has not done.

I say to the OP, be careful, keep your doors and windows locked and even maybe invest in an alarm system. I would also suggest not intruding on neighbors that don't want to be close knit. Some people just want to keep to themselves. Do, however, find the neighbors who WANT to be friendly and join forces with them to get a watch together or whatever steps are necessary to keep your neighborhood safe.

While I do agree that we shouldn't shut our eyes to things, we also need to be careful when we have children/babies to care for. So it is wise to be VERY discreet.
Yes Nemesis did say that.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
You're right. What she did was fine, but out of the ordinary. It reminds me of situations I faced as a youth, playing sports outside, particularly hockey, and the old-school protective family across the street would call the cops because we we're playing hockey in the middle of a street. Cops would come and be like are you serious, and leave. The same ideology should be absorbed as in the same view with the story at hand.
Playing hockey and reckless driving in a neighborhood with kids around are TOTALLY different. It is apparent you do not have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia