Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I work at the Washington Navy Yard and I leave my house at 5:20 a.m. and I am at my desk at 6:00 p.m.
Yikes! That's a LONG commute!

I agree with you about local traffic. There were days when, either in the morning or afternoon, we'd spend just as much (or more) time getting to/from the HOV lanes as we would on the HOV lanes themselves. The key is to try different options, and see which option gets you to the HOV lanes the fastest.

Traffic, and this whole area, are so much more enjoyable now that we're retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Yikes! That's a LONG commute!

I agree with you about local traffic. There were days when, either in the morning or afternoon, we'd spend just as much (or more) time getting to/from the HOV lanes as we would on the HOV lanes themselves. The key is to try different options, and see which option gets you to the HOV lanes the fastest.

Traffic, and this whole area, are so much more enjoyable now that we're retired.
Ooops!! I meant 6:00 a.m.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 38,534 times
I know this may be off topic, but I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the company, CBAIA?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferm1 View Post
I know this may be off topic, but I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the company, CBAIA?
Never heard of it. Do you know what the initials stand for? Is it in Woodbridge?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM

no, it is in stafford. the initials don't stand for anything. it is a gov't contracting company.

what about living in woodbridge? i have read that it is the armpit of virginia? why? i am from texas--the border where the drug cartels are killing people, and the killing is spilling over here. i am curious about this armpit reference. i was offered a job and need some direction on where to live.
the company is in stafford near quantico. i would like to live somewhere between stafford and d.c. no kids, no husband (maybe the same thing?) --just kidding. i will not be buying a house. any suggestions?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
no, it is in stafford. the initials don't stand for anything. it is a gov't contracting company.

what about living in woodbridge? i have read that it is the armpit of virginia? why? i am from texas--the border where the drug cartels are killing people, and the killing is spilling over here. i am curious about this armpit reference. i was offered a job and need some direction on where to live.
the company is in stafford near quantico. i would like to live somewhere between stafford and d.c. no kids, no husband (maybe the same thing?) --just kidding. i will not be buying a house. any suggestions?
Well, natually, as a resident of Woodbridge, I do not think it is the "armpit" of Virginia. Certainly, there are some parts of Woodbridge that I really DO NOT like at all that I wish would disappear. But there are also some great areas that I enjoy. I actually like parts of Woodbridge over Fairfax (where I spend a lot of time also). Like on weekends, I get around quite easily to the mall, the various stores, etc. They planned most of Woodbridge quite well and, with the exception of Rt. 1 that has nothing on it anyway, traffic within Woodbridge flows quite freely. I cannot say the same of most areas of Fairfax when I'm out on the weekend. Smaller roads there, more development, and the feeling of WAY more people. For instance, go to Wegman's in Fairfax at any given time and it is swamped and miserable. Go to Wegman's in Woodbridge and it is MUCH more enjoyable.

Fairfax has its "armpit" areas too but I think residents there like to gloss over it. My friend lives in a very old neighborhood just outside of George Mason and let me tell you--there are Christmas lights up in July, stadium sized Redskin flags flying on a flagpole in the front yard, and all sorts of atrocities!

But, yeah, Woodbridge overall has a lower economic level and it has to deal with Rt. 1. Rt. 1 is the bain of any town's existance it seems. It is just ugly, ugly, ugly most of the way on the east coast. It drags down any town it runs through and the worst of Woodbridge is there. It's a shame because a tad bit South of Woodbridge they've built some great neighborhoods but the eyesore of Rt. 1 will always detract from them.

So, of course, I don't think it's quite the armpit but I won't lie and say I wouldn't like to move to Fairfax but for many different reasons (shorter commute, better school system).

As far as being single and living here, I just don't know. I think most of single people like Occoquan as it is a bit trendier, but it's not a hubbub of single life activity.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM

thanks! i am not frenzied about the "single" lifestyle, in terms of clubbing and all that. i am looking for a place that has older, quaint apartments or cottages. for example, usually, there are smaller, quaint, less expensive places near colleges or universities. any place like that in or near woodbridge?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
thanks! i am not frenzied about the "single" lifestyle, in terms of clubbing and all that. i am looking for a place that has older, quaint apartments or cottages. for example, usually, there are smaller, quaint, less expensive places near colleges or universities. any place like that in or near woodbridge?
Not really. The town of Occoquan is what I would call "quaint" with older townhomes (as well as very new townhomes and condos that overlook the river). It is not cheap there, though, but not horribly expensive either. But it is an old, historic town and they try to keep it that way so it is rather nice. We don't really have cottages here.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,857 times
Cannon Bluff is a nice neighborhood in the area, as are most of the neighborhoods off of the PW Parkway - you can get a lot for your money these days in some of these areas that were once very expensive for most residents in the area. The commute doesn't have to be bad just take the VRE and save miles on your car. I have not been impressed with the PWC schools personally - I chose to put mine at Cardinal Montessori in Woodbridge - which goes to 6th grade. She will go to Aquinas after that and then the new catholic HS. We are not Catholic, but those schools are better than the PWC schools - unless your children can get into the Signet or GT programs, I would not consider public schools. The middle of the road students always get the shaft. There is some new development in the area, which has good and bad - but there is a nice Harris Teeter now! A few good places to get a quick bite to eat also. The Chinn center is a nice place too, and its close by. As an aside, I grew up in the area most of my life - I went to Hylton HS when it first opened and my husband went to OP - so I have some history as both a youth and as an adult.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 30,560 times
From the realtor; here is the info I got:

King Elementary
Beville Middle
Hylton High
Now, my oldest is still 7 years away from HS and a lot can happen to any area, good and bad, in that time, but I got mixed messages on Hylton high by reading the board, but deciphering message boards is a little tricky sometimes.

These schools are the worst schools for any of the neighborhoods off of Hoadly and Davis Ford Rd. (which is a continuation of Hoadly). Honestly I would keep looking at other neighborhoods in the vicinity. The Elementary schools you want to look for are Marshall, Ashland (I think the southern part of Hoadly goes there - could be wrong) and Westridge (kids who live off of Davis Ford go there). For Middle school, definitely Benton and for High Schools - Forest Park or Osborne Park. Honestly most of the neighborhoods near the one you are considering are districted for much better schools. I would look at neighborhoods on the Western side of Hoadly, or to the North off of Davis Ford Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia