Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM

17 posts, read 62,571 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can you please recommend me private schools(elementary) in Fairfax county in the cities like herndon, reston, fairfax, vienna, oakton and etc..
Thanks.
esha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM

33 posts, read 113,675 times
Not that I'll be a great help (raised locally but attended public schools and don't have any kids yet), but what sort of private schools are you looking for? A particular religion? A particular program such as gifted, ESL, special ed? Socially prestigious schools? The public schools in NoVA are pretty decent for most students... (unlike DC *ahem* !!!)

Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,108,073 times
Here is a link to private schools in NOVA: Northern Virginia Real Estate - MLS Homes for Sale (BTW, the list is not all inclusive since I don't see our church's school listed).
It might help to narrow down your choices and ask here about a few you may be interested in or be more specific as to what you are looking for (as the PP said).

Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,717 times
Westminster School in Annandale has current openings and bus service.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,095 times
For advanced kids, there is Nysmith in Herndon. Pretty pricey though.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,923 times
Our daughter attends Flint Hill School in Oakton & we're very happy with the school. Some others that I have heard of are Eldin School in Reston, Merritt Acadamy in Fairfax & Green Hedges in Vienna, Best of luck with your search.

Last edited by Melbourne Family; 06-16-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 38,883 times
Default Flint Hill School, Oakton

I went to Flint Hill School in Oakton, VA and loved every minute of it. I went in high school, but again, I loved it. And what teenager loves anything?!? Check it out, the teachers are great, there is a strong sense of community, they appreciate the outdoors and encourage camping and trips. These are qualities which appealed to me beyond the name to get you into college

Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 AM

9 posts, read 55,859 times
I have been looking into private schools in the same area for quite sometime now. GreatSchools.net is a good source. Choose your area or zip code proximity and sort by "school type" and you will be able to see a list of all private schools. Many have parent reviews as well, which I've found very helpful. But do keep in mind that some of the information there may not be perfectly up-to-date. Another link that I've found useful: Private Schools in Northern Virginia- Private School Directory

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM

22 posts, read 139,912 times
Do NOT look at Westminster School. We were so disappointed with our kids' experience at the school and we are leaving after two years. The rigid and oppressive discipline structure includes detentions, demerits and strikes, starting at age 7. Second graders get detentions (which they have to serve after school) for not having a sharpened pencil, leaving one item blank in their homework or forgetting book. The whole system is stressful and anxiety producing. The website and the admissions office don't talk about this - you have to ask for the Student/Parent Handbook and read it BEFORE signing your child up for the school.

You should also take a look at the previous year's Yearbook and note the dwindling class sizes. It says a lot when many of the middle and upper grades are barely half-full. There will always be spaces available at Westminster while the current administration is in place.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 PM

262 posts, read 583,054 times
My son went to Flint Hill School in 8-12th grades. It was a great school with wonderful, caring teachers. I highly recommend looking at it. They have a lower school (elementary grades) and a upper school (middle and high school). I wish we had started there while he was in the lower school. He was accepted by every college he applied to and ended up going to a top notch school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia