Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,628,188 times

Advertisements

If you're working on international terrorism (I have a close relative in the field), it helps to have background in the local culture and politics since most 'terrorism' is rooted in ethnic and religious differences. His background is Phd in History and foreign service. There's a lot of demand for analysts fluent in Arabic, Farsi, Pashto, and other languages spoken in Central Asia and the Middle East.

Georgtown Center for Peace and Security Studies (Master of Arts)

http://sfs.georgetown.edu/learning/graduate/

Last edited by lchoro; 08-19-2009 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM

230 posts, read 1,218,257 times
Well, maybe you can try and get the job first, then see if they will PAY for your masters. Often times, as long as you can articulate the degree relates to your current job, they will do it here in this area. Some private companies do, some do not. Most government jobs do.
It's going to be a very personal choice for you. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,395,279 times
As someone currently getting a degree in a similar field from a brick-and-mortar institution...I say you should give AMU a try. Gov't employment is a crapshoot anyway, at least for those of us without a TS clearance or military service.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,737,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
K. I'll definitely love the job, I'm just trying to fastrack my career by not losing a semester of schooling since I have a rather akward graduation time. Again, thanks for the feedback.
That's totally understandable. My main reasons for saying this are:
1) You could always change your mind after you actually work in the field
2) You could find out that the degree isn't worth much, or is worth more than you thought from a different school, etc.
3) You might run the risk of being "too" qualified. I know some people who ran off to get their Master's right away and are having difficulty finding a job because they are too expensive for too little work experience. Still others got the degree and then found out that they didn't want to do anything that actually used it, so it was a waste of time and money.

From listening to people, fields like that are very experience-heavy, in that experience weighs as much, if not more, than education. Besides, it gives the agency/company the opportunity to mold you into what they want (while footing the bill). Also, the friends I have at NDIC put off graduate school for 2 years and are still the youngest people in their classes. Most of their classmates are director-level. Basically, not going to school for a few months won't leave you "behind". It varies by field, but I remember reading that the average graduate student is about 25 years old when they start. For a lot of quality MBA programs they don't really consider candidates without 5 years or so of applicable work experience.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 PM

66 posts, read 101,014 times
most intel jobs require TS clearance and military experience as flyers29 said. If you are young and have a college degree, I think military service should be considered.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM

413 posts, read 1,166,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasticx View Post
most intel jobs require TS clearance and military experience as flyers29 said. If you are young and have a college degree, I think military service should be considered.
Yeah I'll have a TS/SCI, BA in Political Science, and all-source intel training when i graduate in the fall, just no "real" experience. Booz Allen and Man-Tech are the only defense contractors I'm aware of that are hiring entry level positions. They usually look at a college degree as the equivalent of 4 years of experience.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM

577 posts, read 2,065,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
Yeah I'll have a TS/SCI, BA in Political Science, and all-source intel training when i graduate in the fall, just no "real" experience. Booz Allen and Man-Tech are the only defense contractors I'm aware of that are hiring entry level positions. They usually look at a college degree as the equivalent of 4 years of experience.
What kind of job are you looking for exactly? Homeland security jobs can mean anything from personal security, public health, explosives expert, emergency management, disaster exercises, nuclear safety, port security, etc. What angle are you interested in? Besides a degree in "Homeland Security" you might consider one in Emergency Management with a concentration in a specific area.

As far as schools go, the best thing to do is talk to people in the field you wish to be in and see if the school you're considering is recognizable to them. The general public doesn't have to have heard of it but it should be a school that means something within the field you're interested in.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Depending on your field and the jobs available there also is (and this is just a short list):

Raytheon
ICF International
BAE Systems
L-3 Communications
CACI
SAIC
Deloitte
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education

Old 08-20-2009, 05:33 PM

413 posts, read 1,166,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
What kind of job are you looking for exactly? Homeland security jobs can mean anything from personal security, public health, explosives expert, emergency management, disaster exercises, nuclear safety, port security, etc. What angle are you interested in? Besides a degree in "Homeland Security" you might consider one in Emergency Management with a concentration in a specific area.

As far as schools go, the best thing to do is talk to people in the field you wish to be in and see if the school you're considering is recognizable to them. The general public doesn't have to have heard of it but it should be a school that means something within the field you're interested in.
I've already stated it before but I'm looking at intel. analyst positions and Man-Tech and Booz Allen are the only DC area companies hiring without experience.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Yes, that's why I mentioned that they all got a job with the government first. The FBI has some sort of entry-level program that helps you get your foot in the door with regards to security/intelligence experience, and then later you can work towards an Analyst or Agent track.
I'm going to have to agree with juniperbleu - you may not be able to find a job with the title you seek. It's hard to compete with so many people in this area already having experience. Start with something more entry level and move up from there. Your bachelor's degree training doesn't amount to much in the defense industry in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia