Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Newt Gingrich used to get his hair cut there and may still. Not sure if that's a plus or a minus...
Interesting that he would choose that place over many in DC or, presumably, Great Falls/McLean. Guess he lived close enough to Alexandria or otherwise thought the service was worth the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,586 times
Well, it isn't Gainesville, but I always liked one at the corner of Williamsburg Blvd and Sycamore Street in Arlington. I can't remember what it was called, but a quick Google map shows that it appears to be simply called "Barber Shop." I don't remember whether they used a straight razor or not, it's been years, but I enjoyed the place because it was full of old guys shooting the breeze and a lot of Redskins paraphernalia.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
Most of the Barber Shops I see in Northern VA have Asian Women cutting and they speak very little English and it is like an assembly line.

In my day back in small town Iowa, we used to go to a Barber Shop that had all kinds of magazines about hunting and fishing with regular customers and the barbers visited with all the regular customers about men's topics. They were our friends and were very social.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,591 times
Most of the barber shops in the area seem to employ Vietnamese or Korean women.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 PM

96 posts, read 175,082 times
There are several "old-fashioned"/"old style" barber shops in Fauquier and Loudoun Counties. My DH uses Plaza Barber Shop in Leesburg where Office Depot is located. He is 35 YO and loves the "old-fashioned" barbers and the warm towels and hot shaves with haircut for around $15 w/o tip. Barbers have over 30 years of experience. We take our boys there also.

Plaza's Yelp! reviews and info below--enjoy!

Plaza Barber Shop - Leesburg, VA | Yelp

There are some women barbers/stylist there too. Small town atmosphere and service. Since we live on a farm on the Fauquier and Loudoun lines, we go between both counties for barbers depending on where we are running errands, etc.

Hope that helps--

Menmom1

Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
That hasn't been my experience or observation in Alexandria. Perhaps it is different further out?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Not out here in Winchester. There are two shops I know of downtown that are owned and operated by African-American men. Would probably fall under "old fashioned" barber shops the OP is seeking, but it would be quite a haul.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM

254 posts, read 423,265 times
I understand finding a place that does edge ups (like those in Barbershop the movie) because those are hard to find (sharp lines and sick fades). However, I never understood the idea of guys getting their face or neck shaved with a razor blade. So you look great for a day or so. Then the hair grows back lol.

I learned how to cut my hair years ago and save over $1000 a year since I cut my hair 1-2x a week with t-liner, razor, fades, guards, and all. (I like to look sharp hehe)

Supercuts ain't got *&(# on me!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM

128 posts, read 158,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
That hasn't been my experience or observation in Alexandria. Perhaps it is different further out?
I live in Alexandria and the one I used to frequent was operated by 4 Korean ladies. They're nice and do a good job. A lot of the businesses here are operated by Koreans (and, no, not just the cleaners!), they're very enterprising people.

Oh, and in case you didn't know already, STAY AWAY from the head butchers in Hair Cuttery. I went to two or three of those before and each time I had to check my scalp for blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia