Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times

Advertisements

I ended up suggesting Meadowlark Gardens. But I think the south side of Lake Anne and the trail along the canal would be ok for a wheelchair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
This wheelchair question made me take a second look at the trail photos. You know what, looking at those photos I'm noticing something. In fact, it's something I notice about Reston in general. You're absolutely right, Scranbarre, there's no grit. There's no graffiti! And no trash on the ground, either. Do they have a whole crew devoted to keeping the place clean, or are people there just unusually careful about littering?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:24 PM

965 posts, read 4,503,500 times
Normie, thanks for "taking up my cause" so to speak and asking others for ideas about wheelchair accessibility on the Reston paths. It looks like it's going to be a pretty day on Sunday, so my little 85-year-old pal and I are going to give the South Lakes trail a shot and go exploring. As I mentioned to you already, because she can walk short distances with assistance, I think we can get over the bridge.

JfromReston: My little pal and I have already been on the Glade Stream East trail that you suggested, and she loved it. Thank you very much. We were there for about two hours just looking around at the houses, yards, trees, etc. We only went as far as the "zig zag," so we'll be going back to complete the trail. It's just that I need the area where I park the car to be as dry as possible because the ground can turn into mud. This old, stupid rain these past few weekends has been getting in the way. That's what has me so interested in that trail that is in the Barnes & Nobles parking lot - it's a solid surface, no sinking in the mud if the ground is kind of moist.

We will probably stay off of the WO & D Trail because of the bicyclists, who I have seen when I drive through Vienna and on Hunters Mills Road on my way to Reston, and they are going at a good clip; BUT Meadowlark Gardens would be a good choice. Thank you, normie.

Caladium: There were twigs, leaves, and nuts on the path, but they were not obstructive. We just rolled right over them.

ScranBarre: There were folks on the Glade Stream East trail: one bicyclist who beeped a cute little horn; a serious bicyclist who did not beep, but was not a problem; a person on the phone; two joggers; and a group of three people walking a dog. I did not find it to be crowded, but then again, we were on the trail on a Sunday during the early season of the Redskins games (1 p.m.), and people may have been at home in front of the TV. With their current record, maybe not so much. I did not find it to be very busy when we were there.

A big thank you to everyone for their input! I, too, hope the rain slated for Saturday does not knock all the leaves off of the trees.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
You're quite welcome, Virgo, and I hope you really enjoy yourself! I drove out of my way a bit just to pass by one of the trails in South Reston today on my way to a friend's home in the Fairfax/Oakton area, and the trail I saw looked beautiful---passing by a lake. It looked like a nice quiet stretch for a good relaxing day out.

As Caladium and I both advised there are some (not all) bikers in Reston/Herndon who think they "own" the W&OD Trail and are very aggressive, perhaps intentionally to discourage traffic from runners. I got into a shouting match one day with one on the stretch near Wiehle Avenue in Reston when I first moved down here because he came within an inch of clipping my elbow and didn't warn me as he zoomed up from behind, startling me terribly. Like it or not, cyclists, the W&OD Trail is for everyone---whether they be riding a cycle, running, pushing a stroller, walking a dog, jogging, power-walking, roller-blading, zoomba-ing, break-dancing, ambling along in a wheelchair, or yes, even riding a horse (as I've seen in Purcellville/Hamilton).

It is very scenic this time of year on the W&OD between Purcellville and Hamilton, so if you're up for a drive out there you may wish to check it out. I haven't been out there in about two weeks so I'm not sure how many more trees near the trail have been clear-cut since then (if it's for another McMansion-ville I'm going to vomit), but you may wish to park along Ivandale Road and enjoy the scenery.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,250,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
JfromReston: My little pal and I have already been on the Glade Stream East trail that you suggested, and she loved it. Thank you very much. We were there for about two hours just looking around at the houses, yards, trees, etc. We only went as far as the "zig zag," so we'll be going back to complete the trail. It's just that I need the area where I park the car to be as dry as possible because the ground can turn into mud. This old, stupid rain these past few weekends has been getting in the way. That's what has me so interested in that trail that is in the Barnes & Nobles parking lot - it's a solid surface, no sinking in the mud if the ground is kind of moist.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Glade Stream East. There are several other places in South Reston with road access. There is a map at http://districts.reston.org/maps/Map..._map_guide.htm that will show you where the trails intersect residential streets with good places to park and easy access. Here are a few access points for you to try.

Park at the boat ramp on Lake Audubon (*31 on the map) and take the flat trail that goes along Lake Audubon toward the Lake Thoreau dam.

Where the trail crosses Wakerobin Lane (near South Lakes High School) there is plenty of parking and a gentle slope down to Lake Audubon (may be a hard push back up). Once you get to Lake Audubon you can take a right turn and go on a nice flat trail along Snake Den Branch.

*23 on Howland drive will get you to the zig-zag in the Glade East Trail where you previously turned around. I'm not sure about the logistics of this access (in many be a little steep).

Old 10-24-2009, 07:29 AM

FYI, the trees that get clear cut near the W&OD are cut by the utility company, not housing developers. It's a controversial issue that flares up every year. Both sides make compelling points but usually Dominion Power ends up winning.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 AM

Hey, if anyone's out on Lake Anne today could you post a photo here? It would be great to include a shot of the lake with autumn leaves.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Hey, if anyone's out on Lake Anne today could you post a photo here? It would be great to include a shot of the lake with autumn leaves.
I took one and I'll try to remember to send it to you to post. I'm having trouble posting photos for some reason.

I'm glad I took this yesterday, I have a feeling that deluge last night may have knocked down a lot of leaves.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 AM

Calling all you Restonians--let's add some spring photos to this collection. Reston is known for it's flowering trees and azaleas, so I'm sure a few of you have beautiful shots.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Calling all you Restonians--let's add some spring photos to this collection. Reston is known for it's flowering trees and azaleas, so I'm sure a few of you have beautiful shots.
Still a little early for that. The trees aren't going to be at peak for another week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia