Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,771,461 times

Advertisements

I really think their statement was essentially made as an ad hominem attack due to their sense that I was failure to them, and so they reacted very negatively to their perception of a total failure on my part to be in a successful relationship. In my experience, they also generally regard being introverted as the equivalent of a capital crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Did they give you any specific reasons for this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM

A very good point, thx for mentioning. I will certainly see what other options are available...there were quite a few options that I saw on meetup.com that I can go through. The D&D thing was just one thing that looked neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Honestly not trying to be snarky here, I'm being sincere -- are there actually a substantial number of women who play Dungeons and Dragons, or is joining that kind of group going to just draw you further away from social situations where you'd be mingling with and getting to know women?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
You might want to keep the D&D thing on the downlow. That's usually a big red flag to women.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,691,016 times
Agreed.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might want to keep the D&D thing on the downlow. That's usually a big red flag to women.
Thanks for the heads-up, very good to know...I hadn't really thought of the possibility that D&D could be a major turn-off to the ladies. Will be sure to keep in mind for future reference!

Old 12-25-2009, 01:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Okay I'll give you the ultimate secret to get women to hang with you. Take cooking classes and learn to cook really well and become very conversant in the subject. You will have no trouble attracting and hanging onto them once they find out how good you are at it. I've never known a chef with a bad love life.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 AM

239 posts, read 712,107 times
I dont think it is narcissisum, if it was then you would not admit to needing help with dating- you would just assume every woman (and man) loves you. Then get a lot of dates because you would tell people how great you are and they would believe you (I was with a narcissist...you dont sound like one).

With the D&D thing, I say give it a shot. I am not into gamers, I dont like video games, but some women do. And if D&D is something that you really like to do, dont you think women should know and hopefully you will find someone with like interests? My friends son, he is young, met his current g-friend on a gaming site. Apparently they are Very well suited for each other.

Your friends think you are homosexual...have you asked them why? Is is because of something specific? Or they are just mean and say you are gay?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,206,801 times
There are two things I love to do, fly fish and ride motorcycles. For the 45 years I've fly fished, I've always had this fantasy of someday meeting a gorgeous woman out on a desolate stream in northern Maine that loved fly fishing and found me irresistible. During the 45 years, it's partially happened once. I was fishing in Westfield, Maine and around the bend came this GORGEOUS woman nymphing upstream towards me! I couldn't believe it! We talked for a couple minutes, then around the bend came her significant other (if I remember correctly, a rather large fellow), thereby dashing the fulfillment of my fantasy.

The point I'm making here is that men and women are wired differently. They tend to like different things and the chances of you finding one that likes what you like are about the same as my dream coming true. Hence the whole "marriage is hard work" thing. So, one should not ask themselves "What do I like" and then try to find a woman that likes what you like. You need to ask yourself "What do many women like" and then try to put yourself there (ideally it's something you kinda like or can tolerate easily). Cooking is a great example, and learning is another. When I went back to get my Masters, I met several really neat women, and had I not had the inconvenience of being married for 30 years, would have enjoyed getting to know them better. I'm sure if you think about it, you can come up with a bunch of things that would be right for you.

Sorry if I offended any of the gals, but.......

Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 AM

239 posts, read 712,107 times
No offense taken; you have been inconveniently married and wanting to (or thinking to) pursue relationships with other women while married.

No offense to bangorme, but I hope that most men do not take your advice.
I would love to meet a man who knows what he likes and is not afraid to admit it. A man who wants to share with me his loves and mine. More than likely there will be something we both absolutely love.

So if you like D&D, dont be afraid to admit it. You took the fist step in looking into gaming sites or whatever, go for it. The more you put yourself out there the more likely you are to meet someone. If you meet a woman who likes similar things, then it's more likely you will get past date 1.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:29 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,206,801 times
Wow, never have I seen a posting so misinterpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treebw View Post
No offense taken; you have been inconveniently married and wanting to (or thinking to) pursue relationships with other women while married.
This was an attempt at humor (sorry you didn't get it), not a statement on infidelity. Are you married treebw? Either way, please realize that over the years married folks meet many people they find interesting, attractive, and funny other than their spouses. Acknowledging that is merely facing reality and has nothing to do with infidelity, which is a character issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treebw View Post
No offense to bangorme, but I hope that most men do not take your advice. I would love to meet a man who knows what he likes and is not afraid to admit it. A man who wants to share with me his loves and mine. More than likely there will be something we both absolutely love.
LOL, read the OP treebw, which was about meeting and dating women. Your comment also has nothing to do with my post, which was focused on MEETING women. Using your convoluted logic I'd still be standing in a trout stream hoping for a miracle lol.

Please, lighten up. The rest of your post made some sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia