Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,699,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Mmmm, I've always said "downtown DC"...you know, to sort of differentiate the "city" parts (office buildings, etc) from the "suburban" parts (SFH neighborhoods) of town...
Me too. "Downtown" can be NW, SW, NE, etc. It's the part that has the majority of business AND the touristy stuff like the Mall, museums, etc.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,733,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMomatHome View Post
Have you never left the state and noticed a road with the same symbol in other states? I doesn't go from VA to Baltimore. It goes from Florida to Maine. I've lived in many states. This is the first state I've lived in where people don't differentiate between county, state, and US roads when using a number. I've been in every state that US 1 goes through and this is the first area I've heard it referred to as "route 1".
(they do call it uselss 1 in south FL, but that is another story.)
To be honest, I've never heard it called "US-1". Sure, that's what the sign says, but everyone I know has always called it "route 1" (yes, I've been out of the state).

By the way, if this bothers you pull out a map of southeastern Pennsylvania and try to find "the Blue Route"

Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,887,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
LOL@ buggies. A buggy is what the Amish ride around in as far as I'm concerned. I don't like pop or supper either...it's soda and dinner
I don't think there's much - if any - overlap between the populations of 'pop' and 'buggy' speakers/users.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:18 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,353,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I don't think the 'pop' vs. 'buggy' user populations overlap.
I grew up saying "pop" and "buggy", although "buggy" and "cart" would be more easily interchanged. "Soda" (other than ice cream soda) was new to me when I moved here 17 years ago.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,887,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I grew up saying "pop" and "buggy", although "buggy" and "cart" would be more easily interchanged. "Soda" (other than ice cream soda) was new to me when I moved here 17 years ago.
Ooh... fascinating. Where are you from? I grew up saying 'pop' but never, ever heard anyone say 'buggy' (for 'shopping cart,' I mean) before I moved here (granted, it's been just one person). I was always under the impression that 'pop' was limited (at least in the fairly recent pass) to the Northern Midwest and Ontario (not sure about the rest of Canada), and that 'buggy' was a Southern thing. I do suspect, though, that 'pop' used to be more widespread across the US... according to my SO (a Gen Y, 'soda'-using native of WA who grew up in TX), 'pop' sounds sort of quaint and/or hokey to the general public - especially the young general public - these days. This just makes me inject more pride into each of my utterances of 'pop.'

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-12-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,353,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Ooh... fascinating. Where are you from? I grew up saying 'pop' but never, ever heard anyone say 'buggy' (for 'shopping cart,' I mean) before I moved here (granted, it's been just one person). I was always under the impression that 'pop' was limited (at least in the fairly recent pass) to the Northern Midwest and Ontario (not sure about the rest of Canada), and that 'buggy' was a Southern thing. I do suspect, though, that 'pop' used to be more widespread across the US... according to my SO (a Gen Y, 'soda'-using native of WA who grew up in TX), 'pop' sounds sort of quaint and/or hokey to the general public - especially the young general public - these days. This just makes me inject more pride into each of my utterances of 'pop.'
I am from Northeast Ohio. My wife is from northwestern PA and grew up saying pop. She puts the "cart" back into the return area or takes it up to the store. (Have to keep this thread somewhat on topic, don't we? )

Old 04-12-2010, 07:47 PM

389 posts, read 1,231,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
We call it "Route 1" in Massachusetts, too.
OK, I'm over it. I was having a bad I'm missing FL day.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,033,554 times
This is one of my huge peeves. Put the damn cart back! Rampant in NJ.

Also, in NJ it is always "Route 1."

Last edited by Alltheusernamesaretaken; 04-15-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM

54 posts, read 145,343 times
After shopping, I try to find a car sporting political bumper stickers that are the opposite of my affiliation. Then I smash the cart into that car repeatedly. Sometimes, if I have a friend with me, we'll actually lift the cart up onto the car.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,697,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickonfreeze View Post
After shopping, I try to find a car sporting political bumper stickers that are the opposite of my affiliation. Then I smash the cart into that car repeatedly. Sometimes, if I have a friend with me, we'll actually lift the cart up onto the car.

Let me guess...you're a Republican?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia