Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Well as this thread has worn on I have come to the realization that I will be seen as schlumpy once we move to NOVA, fortunately for me I really could care less what others think of me, life is much to short to worry about what others think, way to much living to do. I would think however, that outside this forum most people in NOVA really don't walk around wondering about snobbishness, schlumpiness or keeping up the Jones anymore than they do in any other area in the country.
Meh. You should fit in around here just fine! I honestly don't care how people dress. Hell, today it was so hot on my run I must have committed a "fashion faux paus" because I took off my shirt on the W&OD and instantly felt people's eyes glaring into me judgmentally as if my Casper-like countenance was ruining the otherwise perfect vistas they had of Milan...errr...Reston. Those darn Spandex-wearing cyclists and their "I'm laughing at you on the inside" looks they flashed me as they sped past! LOL!

My one complaint? Why is it acceptable for women to wear halter tops, midriffs, or bikini tops out and about shopping, exposing a lot of flesh, but guys can't take their shirts off? Why can't WE have eye candy too?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
*sigh. These are the same women who complain that they "can't find a man" in the D.C. area. Gee...I wonder why?
For what it's worth I can't find a man here either, and I go to great lengths to try to make myself as "hot" as a scrawny Italian recent college grad can. LOL! It might just be that the dating scene in this area is much more challenging than in many other areas.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
For what it's worth I'm a Federal employee, and even on "casual Fridays" I still wear dress pants, dress shoes, and a button-down shirt (albeit no tie). Not all of us are told we don't have to have a "decent" appearance. Say what you will, but if I was heterosexual Elena Kagan would be pinned underneath me right now in an aggressive lip-lock with me! She's my type!
My husband works for the Federal Government. He wears a suit and tie every single day. Not sure where y'all heard that Federal Employees don't have to dress up. All the professionals that I know of with the Government wear suits and ties.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
My husband works for the Federal Government. He wears a suit and tie every single day. Not sure where y'all heard that Federal Employees don't have to dress up. All the professionals that I know of with the Government wear suits and ties.
The general rule of thumb I learned years ago in business etiquette courses is that you never want to be "outdressed" in a professional setting. It is better to walk into a conference with another firm where you're wearing suits and they're wearing polo shirts and slacks than the other way around. In my particular line of Federal work I interact regularly with many major Federal contractors in the region. Some are very laissez-faire with attire with employees looking like they are actually headed instead to the country club. Others? Even the administrative personnel have to dress to the hilt as if they were Donald Trump's own personal assistants. I always keep a suit dry-cleaned and waiting in my closet, and I stow away a tie for an "emergency" when I have an impromptu meeting and want to up the ante a bit professionally. Some gum doesn't hurt to make sure you can quickly freshen your breath.

I think the general grievance in this thread, though, is mostly how people in NoVA dress outside of professional settings. Want to hear a vignette? Tough. I'm a hot-blooded Italian who is going to ramble anyways!

Before moving to Reston I worked for numerous years in sales with Lowe's Home Improvement to help support myself through college. We closed at 10 PM. I was rushing to clean my department at 9:57 PM when a very scruffy-looking guy entered the store and started walking towards me. Naturally the first thought in my mind was "Oh geez! Looks like I'll be staying late tonight after all!" He looked like he had just gotten up from a drainage ditch. His face had dark grease-stains. He was wearing a white "wife beater" (I hate the term) t-shirt, which he tucked into a faded pair of Wrangler jeans with no belt. To the untrained eye one would think "He's probably a drunk who wandered in." Guess what? I patiently explained products to him, took the time to answer all of his questions, etc., and I even convinced him to open up a new credit card account with our store. As I helped him fill out the application I inadvertently noticed his annual household income---$376,000! Now, that might be pocket change for a salary in NoVA, but in Scranton, PA that's quite a tidy chunk of change. It turns out he was a successful business owner. I earned a commission for the credit card application and for his large-ticket purchase because I didn't rush to judge him or fob him off based upon his countenance. I'm sure others who were less my senior in my department would have had him leaving in a huff.

Some very bright and affluent people may just be the ones you are all raising your eyebrows at as they walk around out in public looking "frumpy."

Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Yep, me too. I am a female government employee and M-Thursday I have on either a dress or a suit, pantyhose and all. On Friday's, I do schlep down to the khaki pants and blouse look with sandals. Our manager has stated absolutely NO denim in any form.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:

Before moving to Reston I worked for numerous years in sales with Lowe's Home Improvement to help support myself through college. We closed at 10 PM. I was rushing to clean my department at 9:57 PM when a very scruffy-looking guy entered the store and started walking towards me. Naturally the first thought in my mind was "Oh geez! Looks like I'll be staying late tonight after all!" He looked like he had just gotten up from a drainage ditch. His face had dark grease-stains. He was wearing a white "wife beater" (I hate the term) t-shirt, which he tucked into a faded pair of Wrangler jeans with no belt. To the untrained eye one would think "He's probably a drunk who wandered in." Guess what? I patiently explained products to him, took the time to answer all of his questions, etc., and I even convinced him to open up a new credit card account with our store. As I helped him fill out the application I inadvertently noticed his annual household income---$376,000! Now, that might be pocket change for a salary in NoVA, but in Scranton, PA that's quite a tidy chunk of change. It turns out he was a successful business owner. I earned a commission for the credit card application and for his large-ticket purchase because I didn't rush to judge him or fob him off based upon his countenance. I'm sure others who were less my senior in my department would have had him leaving in a huff.

Some very bright and affluent people may just be the ones you are all raising your eyebrows at as they walk around out in public looking "frumpy."
I recall reading a similar story once in Reader's Digest or something about a sweaty, dirty blue-collar guy walking into a store who turned out to be a business owner himself. I try not to judge a book by its cover but we are all human, no? I should say though that considering median household income in Loudoun and Fairfax Counties top the nation at just over $100K, $376,000 would get one pretty far unless you're raising the Brady Bunch. :P

Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
All the professionals with the federal gov't that I know do wear either suits or uniforms, Mon-Fri, however some offices do have "casual" Fridays, where the employees can wear khakis, button down or polo shirts but noone has a day that it is appropriate to wear denim to work.

I am not to sure how the thread got to this point since it orginally started out by the OP wondering why NOVA women dressed so schlumpy when he saw them out in Shirlington while out to lunch.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I am not to sure how the thread got to this point since it orginally started out by the OP wondering why NOVA women dressed so schlumpy when he saw them out in Shirlington while out to lunch.
Welcome to the NoVA sub-forum, where each and every thread manages to veer off-topic through some sort of rambling or conflict! LOL!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Meh. You should fit in around here just fine! I honestly don't care how people dress. Hell, today it was so hot on my run I must have committed a "fashion faux paus" because I took off my shirt on the W&OD and instantly felt people's eyes glaring into me judgmentally as if my Casper-like countenance was ruining the otherwise perfect vistas they had of Milan...errr...Reston. Those darn Spandex-wearing cyclists and their "I'm laughing at you on the inside" looks they flashed me as they sped past! LOL!

My one complaint? Why is it acceptable for women to wear halter tops, midriffs, or bikini tops out and about shopping, exposing a lot of flesh, but guys can't take their shirts off? Why can't WE have eye candy too?!

I guess if I had to be honest I really could care less about fitting in, I am who I am. I did notice that the OP was talking about younger women though in the orginal post so maybe since I just try to dress age appropriate and I am not a young woman I won't be considered schlumpy after all. What does schlumpy mean anyway? Never mind just found it in the urban dictionary.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 05-26-2010 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: got off my lazy tush and answered my own question.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Welcome to the NoVA sub-forum, where each and every thread manages to veer off-topic through some sort of rambling or conflict! LOL!
That's what keeps it interesting !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia