Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I know if I'm going around the corner or Harris Teeter I'm not worrying about looking my best.
You obviously have never been to the Reston Harris Teeter. That place is always swarming with fashionistas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:59 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,246,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I completely agree with this statement.
And I see well dressed people in whatever insecure car (BMW or Mercedes) talking on the cell phone, one hand on the wheel, driving with lots of pedestrians around.. Even in parking lots..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 AM

464 posts, read 480,000 times
Some do. Some don't.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM

66 posts, read 180,824 times
So - I handle myself and raise my children to treat everyone with respect - no matter how they look. It's a pretty shallow approach to life to make snap judgments based solely on someone's appearance - and you'll get what you deserve if that's truly how you approach life. Other than absurdly irrational situations mentioned in some of the posts in this thread (showing up in a swimsuit at a child's school event for example) - it's pretty amazing to me that so much emphasis is placed on the symbolism of someone wearing exactly the right fashion for the day over the substance of what value that person brings to a given situation or to life in general.
And you wonder why the rest of the US thinks that this area is a vortex of self-rationalization on any given subject that makes absolutely no sense to someone outside the DC vortex. I'm certainly willing to chalk some of this up to generational context (millennials versus boomers versus Gen-x), but by the time you get to Gen-X and Millennials they are generally more focused on content rather than symbolism. Boomers were the generation that refused to talk about many subjects because "you just shouldn't speak of such things" and they are certainly the ones that grew up learning to wear suits to every occasion and all day every day at work. Millennials are young enough to still be attracting their mates, and probably caring much more about wearing that makeup at midnight for the grocery store run.
In all cases - it's sad if that's as far as the discussion goes. Each generation offers unique perspective and unique context that could enrich everyone's life if they were able to focus on the content rather than the package.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:01 PM

107 posts, read 251,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

How you dress reflects how you view yourself and your obligations toward others. People who go out in sweatpants are the same ones who run stop signs, walk four abreast on the sidewalk, chew with their mouth open, and have loud cellphone conversations.

It's a slippery slope, and it all starts with a dirty t-shirt.
Wow. I'm sure you were wearing a dirty shirt as you wrote that post as your post is filled with prejudice. A person with such obligations towards others would not post such a statement. May your run-ins with 'dirty-shirt wearing lawn pushing two liter drinking flip flop wearing weekend warriors" be few and far between. Your hypothesis about those who wear the clothing you refer to in your post be of low self esteem is untrue. I can vouch for that. I kick astronauts, but you could not derive that from my togs or my lack of makeup. This is one of the reasons I do not like the DC area; the snobbery here is exhausting.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
How is it "snobbery" to simply expect others to be reasonably covered when they go out in public? I didn't say they should wear fancy name brands or dress formally; I myself don't do either one.

Shorts and a clean t-shirt at the grocery store? Fine! I do it all the time. But clothes with holes, stains, or that reveal parts of you that couldn't be shown on prime time TV? That's different. Even a low-income person can dress with pride and self-respect in public--and many do.

The pics in this link are the extreme example of what should not be done:

www.peopleofwalmart.com.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,289,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
So - I handle myself and raise my children to treat everyone with respect - no matter how they look. It's a pretty shallow approach to life to make snap judgments based solely on someone's appearance - and you'll get what you deserve if that's truly how you approach life. Other than absurdly irrational situations mentioned in some of the posts in this thread (showing up in a swimsuit at a child's school event for example) - it's pretty amazing to me that so much emphasis is placed on the symbolism of someone wearing exactly the right fashion for the day over the substance of what value that person brings to a given situation or to life in general.
And you wonder why the rest of the US thinks that this area is a vortex of self-rationalization on any given subject that makes absolutely no sense to someone outside the DC vortex. I'm certainly willing to chalk some of this up to generational context (millennials versus boomers versus Gen-x), but by the time you get to Gen-X and Millennials they are generally more focused on content rather than symbolism. Boomers were the generation that refused to talk about many subjects because "you just shouldn't speak of such things" and they are certainly the ones that grew up learning to wear suits to every occasion and all day every day at work. Millennials are young enough to still be attracting their mates, and probably caring much more about wearing that makeup at midnight for the grocery store run.
In all cases - it's sad if that's as far as the discussion goes. Each generation offers unique perspective and unique context that could enrich everyone's life if they were able to focus on the content rather than the package.

very good post

Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
How is it "snobbery" to simply expect others to be reasonably covered when they go out in public? I didn't say they should wear fancy name brands or dress formally; I myself don't do either one.

Shorts and a clean t-shirt at the grocery store? Fine! I do it all the time. But clothes with holes, stains, or that reveal parts of you that couldn't be shown on prime time TV? That's different. Even a low-income person can dress with pride and self-respect in public--and many do.

The pics in this link are the extreme example of what should not be done:

www.peopleofwalmart.com.
I often just wish people would wash their hair!! I must be pretty sensitive to the "dirty hair" smell or something because it just gets me. My grocery shopping routine is always "early on Sunday morning." I am always behind someone in line who has a greasy clump in the back of their hair and I can smell it from 6 feet away. Turns my stomach every time. I realize people don't need to wash their hair constantly, but when you get to the point of smelling, you need to wash it before you go out, I think.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,470,839 times
It's unfortunate but people differ on their definitions of personal hygiene and fashion sense. I work in an IT company, and our dress code is casual, but I see people walk in slippers/sandals, which to me is an absolute no-no. But these are the same people who will show up in black-tie attire for company parties, so I know that what they wear at work doesn't reflect their attitude or lack of respect towards others.

For personal hygiene, I see people walk around with 2-3 days of stubble and this, again, for me is a no-no. But I have accepted this and moved on rather than casting aspersions on them.

I am sure there are a lot of things that I think are perfectly okay, but others might find them objectionable. Would I like it if others formed incorrect opinions about me? Should I even care? Probably not, but while it is true that "first impressions are very important", we live in a society where you can't please everyone...so just pick your battles (and your outfit) carefully!

Thanks,
K

Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 11,938 times
I agree that bad hygiene is a no-no, but nit-picking about everything from an ugly face (not everyone can help that) to weight issues (who are you, God's gift to men/women?) is just being mean and snarky.

So yeah, I can see someone from Europe or NYC being that way, sure. Enjoy the NOVA area, then feel free to leave. Ta ta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia