Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 PM

243 posts, read 812,851 times

Advertisements

ABC stores can be somewhat expensive and really overpriced but hey if you're willing to pay those prices.... ABC stores are worth going into though. And they're literally like Starbucks... ABC stores are on every corner! hehe But the free mugs are always pretty awesome too. ;-]

The Costco that we always shopped at is off of Alakawa Street downtown. You can take Nimitz Hwy or Dillingham Blvd.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
ABC stores can be somewhat expensive and really overpriced but hey if you're willing to pay those prices.... ABC stores are worth going into though. And they're literally like Starbucks... ABC stores are on every corner! hehe But the free mugs are always pretty awesome too.
They're great places to buy inexpensive gifts to take home... like shell necklaces for $1. And in some places, they are the easiest place to find that sells alcohol.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:47 PM

53 posts, read 197,461 times
The bus is pretty slow, but it will get you places. Going from Waikiki into town is really really easy though and is only about a 20 min ride, so if you do decide to spend a day shopping around the Ala Moana area, visiting the downtown, you can definitely take the bus. If you're going further than that, renting a car and driving definitely saves some time.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 AM

217 posts, read 640,278 times
I have to disagree for the flip-flops. The first time we went to Oahu, my guy bought a pair of flip-flops there and they disentagrated within a day, ABC did replace them, but those also broke. We went to surf shop and coughed up the money for some reefs. he's been wearing them for three years now!
as far as cheap trinkets, yes, you can do abc but if you really want to save money, go to the swap meet at the aloha bowl on wednesday or on the weekend (not sure which day, saturday or sunday) you can get way better deals there and also find some of the fun foods. one of the things we got there - beach towels! what a great souvenir - and you can get em for about ten bucks - the big ones - we also had to buy a bag to take all our goodies home in, but again, it was about ten bucks
i'm not a hawaii expert by any means, but i have been on vacation to oahu twice, and YAY! am going back again in November for another ten days (can't wait!). we always rent a car but i'm lucky in that i have free parking where i stay.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Thanks and reps to everybody who has replied. I appreciate all the insight.

OpenD - thanks for the moon info; also I am SO looking forward to the more equal day/night thing as we're in Oregon where our days feel really short right now. I'm a Texas girl originally and just the difference between the daylight hours in TX vs OR affeccts me.

Dthraco - thanks for the ABC tips, I'm really not interested in shopping for CPC (cheap plastic crap) but we might pop into an ABC just to see what they're like.

Kixette - that's too bad about the flip-flops. I definitely go for quality. I've had havaianas flip flops for 5+ years that still seem like new!

Also, and update: We're now staying at Turtle Bay on the norhtern part of the island. I'm not sure if it's technically part of the "north shore" or what... but I love that it's in a less busy, less populated area of Oahu! The kids are happy because it looks like Turtle Bay still offers lots of fun things to do (horseback riding, surfing lessons, etc.). There are also some geocaches within walking distance of the hotel, so we're excited about geocaching in a new state!

There's a bus (#55 I think...) that takes the Kam hwy (Kamehamewa hwy) to Ted's Bakery (takes about 15 minutes, I think) and we plan to do that, and then walk over to the South Beach area, then maybe take the bus down the Kam hwy a little further to Waimea Valley (botanical garden) and explore that area as well. That'll be how we spend one of our days.

Keep the advice/insight/wisdom coming, I'm totally appreciating it! Thank you!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixette View Post
I have to disagree for the flip-flops. The first time we went to Oahu, my guy bought a pair of flip-flops there and they disentagrated within a day,
Da bes' kine slippahs (we don't call dem flip-flops hiyah) are Scott. I've seem them at WalMart for $17 recently, also Sears and many shoe stores.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
When we went the travel agent said to take the bus, parking is very expensive. We tried that and there were just too many weird people
on the bus. We ended up walking a lot, from Waikiki as far as the zoo
and back, then rented a car for a few days to go farther away such as Pearl Harbor, Sunset beach, Dole and Snorkeling.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:49 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
When we went the travel agent said to take the bus, parking is very expensive. We tried that and there were just too many weird people
on the bus. We ended up walking a lot, from Waikiki as far as the zoo
and back, then rented a car for a few days to go farther away such as Pearl Harbor, Sunset beach, Dole and Snorkeling.
HEY! I resemble that remark!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
We tried that and there were just too many weird people on the bus.
Dose aren't weird people. Dose are kama'aina.

Now you know why there is an attitude towards touristas.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM

243 posts, read 812,851 times
Yep, OpenD pretty much has said it all. Nicely put.
Oh and to add to da slippahz... I got mine at Kapolei Kmart for $15. Not a big difference but still...

Weird = Kama'aina brah! Just be careful K? some of the homeless people can be a bit scary lol
Then you got those high sku kids that don't know any bettah.

Turtle Bay is really nice and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. I used to work at the restaurant there as a buss girl... But the food is ono!!! You should try it. You'll love it.

Happy travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu