Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,067,877 times

Advertisements

How easy is it to get where you need to go by bus/public transport on the island of Oahu?

We are probably staying in a hotel in Waikiki, but we'd like to visit the Valley of the Temples, and tour some farms and plantations, and also take some great hikes in a few of the state parks. We'd also like to visit North Beach and hopefully watch some of those massive giant waves. We might visit Doris Duke's Shangri-la and we will probably visit some museums.

We're not interested in the touristy luau's or doing a ton shopping (though I'm sure we'll be packing home more than what we brought with us!). We mainly are seeking out the beautiful places and hiking and relaxing on less crowded beaches. etc. We also want to taste the foods that are common in Hawaii that we do not see here on the mainland. I've never even seen a taro root, for example!

Is it true that as people are leaving a home or someplace, it's pretty common - or at least not shocking - for people to "trade up" and take your shoes (do they call them "rubbah slippahs"?), leaving you their old ones?

I find that hilarious, and I actually hope it happens to me - if it's true that it really happens there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,040,905 times
I would rent a car for those outer area adventure days, even if it's only for a day or two.

PS: No on the slipper swap, at least my experience.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
How easy is it to get where you need to go by bus/public transport on the island of Oahu?
The public transportation website for Oahu is at TheBus Home Page

Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Just went to the bus website... looks like the bus is s l o w but would get us there. Aside from being slow - which would be kinda cool in a way for an outsider - time to people watch and watch the scenery go by - is there another reason why the bus isn't great to take? Is it dangerous?

Parking at the hotels I'm looking at is around $30/night, but the cost of parking at other places costs, too... plus gas... but a bus pass for the whole month is $60 or w/o the monthly pass it'll cost around 5 bucks round-trip per trip...

Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,103,538 times
There's a great parking lot corner of Kuhio Ave and Paoakalani Ave at the Aston at the Waikiki Banyon. If I recall, only $10 or $15 a day. The hotel just across the corner from there is the Castle Ocean Resort. Not the nicest place, but GREAT rates and nice employees. Only a couple blocks from the beach, and Starbucks.

Renting a Car for a couple days gives you the freedom to really explore, definitely would recommend that. You asked in another thread if you could walk the beach at night safely, I felt safe. But was offered weed a couple times...pass thanks.

I never rode the bus, so can't really comment. Did ride tourist buses to the Polynesian Culture Center (Best Luau!).

Check out the book - Oahu Revealed. It's blue and sold at Barnes and Noble. It has TONS of great info.

Remember this...ABC. They are like Starbucks in Seattle, one on every corner of Waikiki. They ahve tons of most everythign you want, pricey, but readily available.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM

682 posts, read 2,797,034 times
Quote:
Just went to the bus website... looks like the bus is s l o w but would get us there. Aside from being slow - which would be kinda cool in a way for an outsider - time to people watch and watch the scenery go by - is there another reason why the bus isn't great to take? Is it dangerous?

Parking at the hotels I'm looking at is around $30/night, but the cost of parking at other places costs, too... plus gas... but a bus pass for the whole month is $60 or w/o the monthly pass it'll cost around 5 bucks round-trip per trip...
It's not dangerous, but it's a really slow way to get long distances. It also won't take you to places like trailheads... so you'll add maybe an hour of travel time plus a mile or two (each way) of hiking just to get from the bus to the trailhead. You can't take it to the Tantalus trail system, for example. Do buses stop at the Pali lookout? I don't even know. It just seems like a lot of time spent on the bus rather than hiking / seeing sights / on the beach.

I commute on the bus to / from work. The 15 min drive takes an hour. So extrapolate to the 40 min drive to Kailua or the hour drive to the North Shore. Is that really how you want to spend your vacation?

Maybe don't rent a car for the whole trip, but decide on a few days that will be for excursions, and rent a car for those days? Also, I can't think of anywhere I pay to park *except* for Waikiki (and Chinatown on an unlucky day). I don't pay at the beach, at the trailheads, or at any of the other places you mention. Oh... $1 at Hanauma Bay, I guess. Not so bad. I think the real mistake is staying in Waikiki!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM

You guys makes some great points. Thank you for the tips and wisdom... we might just rent a car. You guys are right - do we want to spend our time waiting for and on buses or do we want to get there, get out, and have fun!? It's prolly worth it just to rent a car.

I'm very curious about the ABC stores. ABC keeps popping up whenever I'm online researching Oahu... one blogger even claims they sell the best flip flops (slippers) and another said it's the best place to buy tickets for shows? And now I learn they have coffee, too? Wow!

Any advice on how to prepare your skin for the Hawaiian sun? I'm really worried about us getting burnt to a crsip after having lived in Oregon now for so many years - we're whiter than Casper! I read on one Hawaiian travel website that sunscreen kills the coral, so don't use it if you're going to swim in something besides a pool?

More questions (I'm sorry!)...

What's the best CostCo to go to? I know it seems weird to be visiting Hawaii from the mainland and have "visit CostCo" as one of the things to do on your list... but I heard that the CostCo's on Oahu carry lots of locally produced items that you cannot get on the mainland... like 100% Kona Coffee and Macadamia Kisses! I'm thinking the prices there at CostCo would be better than at the touristy shops or smaller grocery stores/marts....

This might be a dumb question... but if there's going to be a full moon for example here in Oregon... would there also be a full moon at the same time in Hawaii? I'm sorry if that's a really dumb question...

Old 01-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
... I think the real mistake is staying in Waikiki!
I know!!! I tried to convince my crew of staying on the North Shore area (I might not be saying that right) but I was overruled. They wanted the Hilton at Waikiki Beach because of the cool new pool or something - waterslides, waterfalls, etc. I'm like, "We're in Hawaii!! We're surrounded by OCEAN! Why do you need a pool?" But whatever... I'm just happy to be going at all.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,103,538 times
ABC Stores are like little 7-11's food and alcohol wise, but also have a bunch of other touristy stuff...Kona Coffee, Macadamia Chocolate, Calendars, aspirin, towels, sunscreen, etc. If you save your reciepts and spend over $100 (SUPER EASY) they give you a 'free' gift...I got a mug.

As far as sun tolerance, just use sunscreen liberally. Better to go back white than to go back burnt to a crisp. Never read about the sunscreen killing coral...wouldn't catch me in the water without sunscreen on (10am-3pm anyway).

I LOVE Waikiki. It's not a bad thinig to stay there IMHO. You are close to the beach and the INternational Marketplace, etc. It's alive and warm and full of Aloha.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
This might be a dumb question... but if there's going to be a full moon for example here in Oregon... would there also be a full moon at the same time in Hawaii? I'm sorry if that's a really dumb question...
Yes, the phase of the moon is the same all over the world. What varies by location is the time of moonrise and moonset.

One thing that surprises some people is the nearly equal lengths of day and night here, due to our proximity to the equator. The further north you go, the longer the days are in summer, and the longer the nights are in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu