Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,078,311 times

Advertisements

I hope to meet some kama'aina, maybe the bus is more our style. I'm used to people that look different or seem weird to outsiders - I live in Eugene, Oregon.

So, if we come upon some sea turtles lounging on the beach - is it OK to touch them (I almost said pet... but it seemed wrong somehow)... I know they are a threatened species... so is it better to just leave them alone?

What other wildlife should we watch out for? Are there those big nasty wild boar piggy things like you see on Lost! Holy cow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I hope to meet some kama'aina, maybe the bus is more our style. I'm used to people that look different or seem weird to outsiders - I live in Eugene, Oregon.
Oh, then you'll feel right at home, only warmer.

Quote:
So, if we come upon some sea turtles lounging on the beach - is it OK to touch them (I almost said pet... but it seemed wrong somehow)... I know they are a threatened species... so is it better to just leave them alone?
Yes, just leave them alone. Same same the wild birds, sealife, etc. Many of Hawai'i's indigenous wildlife species are endangered.

Quote:
What other wildlife should we watch out for? Are there those big nasty wild boar piggy things like you see on Lost! Holy cow.
I doubt you'll see any except maybe on the back of a hunter's truck. To feral pigs, humans are the big nasty threat.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Thank you OPenD. I am so excited about our trip.

Arod - that food better be good at Turtle Bay, I've been looking at the menu's from the different restaurants there and it's kinda pricey! $15 for a fruit and cheese platter? Just fruit and cheese, seriously. $18.95 for some orzo pasta with mushrooms. Uh-huh. But it does sound delicious, reading the menu's makes me so hungry I forget that money doesn't grow on trees.

I'm not a drinker at all really, I only have a glass of red wine once in a blue moon, (usually like an Oregon Pinot) but I am looking forward to trying some different mixed drinks in Hawaii. I've never even had a mai tai. Do they serve them in coconut shells? I LOVE coconut.

OH - what is haupia? Is it like coconut flan or pudding or jell-o or something? Tapioca without the pearls? I can't wait to try some.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM

I googled it! Mmmmm. Sounds good! Haupia

Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I googled it! Mmmmm. Sounds good! Haupia
It's a seasonal thing, but every Christmas McDonalds puts Haupia Pie on their menu for a while. Just like their apple pie, but with coconut filling.

Mai Tai has no coconut in it. I HAVE seen it in hollowed out pineapples, but only at high end places. Ditto for Pina Coladas in coconut shells. But ask!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM

682 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:

Honu: you are required by law to stay 10 feet away. It can be hard. I almost tripped over one because I thought it was a rock, then made some crazy un-graceful movements to try to get 10 feet away, and almost fell on it. Plus, the law doesn't apply (I hope!) if they come towards you in the water. They move faster than I can in the surf, and I can't always stay far enough away. But no, don't touch them or go too close. Admire from afar and take a picture.

Wild boar: I have seen them on the North Shore... a small one munching by the side of the Kam highway (I'm sure he is no longer with us) and one on a hiking trail. But that's two in several years, so I doubt you'll see one. True, I have seen several on the backs of trucks.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM

So, totally eat my way around this delicious island but don't touch the critters. Got it!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
So, totally eat my way around this delicious island but don't touch the critters. Got it!
Harder still, don't let the critters touch you.

Mosquitoes are bad this year.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 PM

53 posts, read 197,713 times
I always ride the bus. Sure there are some "weird" people occasionally but everyone is harmless. It's a good way to get outside of the tourist bubble and immerse yourself in the more local side of Hawaii.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 PM

Kanz I was going to rep you thanks for replying but it said I had to spread the love around a bit first. I don't remember ever repping you before? That's weird... anyway - thanks. Do people wear swimsuits on the bus? Is Hawaii - Oahu - so casual that you can go around with a towel wrapped around your swimsuit and people don't think you're gross?

I'm not sure I'm planning on doing that, just curious. I've been reading lately that Hawaii is very casual... I'm thinking about only bringing two pairs of shoes - flip flops and sneakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu