Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times

Advertisements

It's official: Pittsburgh is the most liveable city in the U.S. | News In Brief | Marketplace from American Public Media (http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/business-news-briefs/2011/02/its_official_pittsburg_is_1_in.html - broken link)

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/business-news-briefs/US.jpg (broken link)

I love Honolulu myself. But does it go on the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Wow ... am I ever laughing

I have lived in 5 of the 10 cities on the list ... and spent considerable time, multiple visits, in 3 of the others ... I am sputtering ... who ever came up with this nonsense?! Without being specific on the pluses and minuses of each, let me just make a quick jump to a comment about Honolulu (which city I enjoy a great deal). Honolulu is so different in both culture and environment than any of the others, that to make a relative judgement is about like comparing apples to -- oh, say -- catfish ... they are both living things and edible (sorta) ... but they aren't even in the same classification of life.

Anyway, "liveable" is what you like ... while I was born in Detroit, I don't consider it liveable, and I love Honolulu ... yet, I do know folks who prefer Detroit ... so who am I to argue with personal taste?

(and Pittsburgh?!?! ... don't get me started!)

Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
PITTSBURGH! What a joke! I spent one day in Pittsburgh at the Wm Penn hotel. I went outside to see the city and was back in my room in 45 minutes. PITTSBURGH!??

Old 07-26-2011, 12:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Well, according to their own website "The Economist Intelligence Unit is the world's leading resource for economic and business research, forecasting and analysis. Like The Economist, we are independent of all governing bodies and corporations, leaving us free to deliver accurate and impartial business intelligence." However, they also want folks to pay them for their opinions. If this is the level of data they put out, it is surprising they can afford a web presence. Perhaps they are using some sort of arcane criteria that nobody else knows about? Either that or it is a classic case of GIGO.

They have Pittsburgh and Detroit on the same list as Honolulu and I'm not sure what criteria would put all three of those places on the same list. Especially with the hit that the rust belt cities have been taking lately.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's official: Pittsburgh is the most liveable city in the U.S. | News In Brief | Marketplace from American Public Media (http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/business-news-briefs/2011/02/its_official_pittsburg_is_1_in.html - broken link)

I love Honolulu myself. But does it go on the list?
Having lived in four of the 10 cities, I have no idea why they chose Pittsburgh. I do understand why Honolulu is on the list, though.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
The Economist Intelligence Unit is considered a very prestigious organization, but having read the linked article, I suspect that the results are based purely on data in the five categories they considered. I'd be surprised if they included any subjective input from people who actually live in these cities. I've never been to Detroit, so I can't judge personally, but I haven't read anything positive about it as a place to live, since their economy crashed. (Maybe the fact that you can buy houses in abandoned neighborhoods for as little at $3,000 made Detroit score high in affordability.) Pittsburgh, on the other hand, consistently rates high in these surveys, and I have a friend who lives there and loves it, so I can't discount that rating out of hand. I'm surprised that Portland, Oregon didn't make the list -- surely it's more livable here than Detroit is. As for the 10 most livable cities in the world, no US cities made the list, but the cities that did are all places I'd like to visit. On the other hand, the Economist is a British publication, and 8 of the 10 top world cities are in Commonwealth countries. Is there perhaps a bit of Anglo bias there?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:12 PM

236 posts, read 648,908 times
The Economist is crap. The Detroit metro area is nice enough if you don't mind winter, but Detroit proper is a hellhole for the most part. Pittsburgh is boring and also has crappy weather. Atlanta's too hot (and landlocked), and Minneapolis is too cold. The other cities are somewhat defensible, but I agree that Portland and many other places are probably more liveable than the above 4, or possibly even D.C. and Chicago.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
I have a friend who moved from Pittsburgh to Maui a year ago. He said there's nothing to do there but drink.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:15 PM

406 posts, read 866,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I have a friend who moved from Pittsburgh to Maui a year ago. He said there's nothing to do there but drink.
Hey Wink, do you have anything good to say about Hawaii?

Mickey

Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Hey Wink, do you have anything good to say about Hawaii?

Mickey
Pittsburgh isn't in Hawaii, it's in Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: