Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM

34 posts, read 206,781 times

Advertisements

So is Honolulu a safe city compared to Hong Kong? According to some statistics it said Honolulu is the safest large city in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 PM

45 posts, read 295,323 times
I don't know about Hong Kong, but I'd hardly say Honolulu is safe. I love Oahu, but Honolulu can be crazy. We have a huge crystal meth problem. Our violent crime rate may be lower then other cities, but we have an enormous amount of property crime. That said, I have seen multi-person fights break out in the middle of the street down town at night. Remember it may be Hawai'i, but it is the 11th largest city in the country so we have the dame problems as all big cities. Put that together with a large military population (sorry guys but its true) and a good amount of racism and it can leaf to problems. Despite all of this, there is no better place then HI. If you avoid trouble (and leave no valuables in your car!!) you should encounter a problem. This city is great

Old 11-25-2007, 04:26 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,230 times
It was rated as one of the safer cities.

I was just reading a list. Detroit, Camden, and Oakland ranked as the most dangerous.

Manhatten was ranked the safest and Honolulu was top 5

Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 76,181 times
Default Is waikiki (ala wai blvd) safe?

I will be moving to Waikiki HI within the next month and am moving alone. I am in my 20's and want to make sure that the area i am moving into will be a safe place for me to live in. I will be on the north side of Ala Wai blvd. Anyone that know's the area is this a good place to live in?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeefe View Post
I will be on the north side of Ala Wai blvd. Anyone that know's the area is this a good place to live in?
I think you are talking about the McCully/Kapiolani area. It's an okay area, during the day I am sure it's fine. During the night you should just be watchful of your surroundings, always lock your doors, etc.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 PM

86 posts, read 698,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionlimius View Post
So is Honolulu a safe city compared to Hong Kong? According to some statistics it said Honolulu is the safest large city in the US.
I have never been to Hong Kong so my answer will only focus on Honolulu. I consider most parts of the city to be safe during the day. At night things change some. Waikiki at 2 a.m. can be unsafe with some of the drunk people and fights are quite common. Some of the areas West of Downtown namely, Chinatown, Palama and a few parts of Kalihi have some rough stuff going on but nothing like some Mainlands cities have. Unfortunately, drug usage is high in all Honolulu and all of Hawaii but violent crime is not common and it's unlikey to be random.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 77,580 times
I neve been to hong kong . but this question is for the honolulu . if you are talk about ala wai cancal near waikiki it is safe in the day time . but be very careful at night time .

here is a list of the city in oahu

ala moana blvd - homeless
waikiki kaipolani band stand crimal and homeless
waikiki/ala wai can - at 12am till 5am be very care there is some drug people
waikiki/kapahlulu -crimal and drug
kakaako downtown -homeless shealther stay /beg for money
manoa area mostly seem like (hurt area to get hurt easier boulder or big rock
kaimuki are dangerous
palao valley allot of forgein is in this area
maunalani height is one of the safe place
koko head area
kahala area - best area to live
kalani valley - mostly drugs/crimal
waipue - this area flood allot
aina hina same thing as waipue and heavy wind and rain
waiale iki some safe place
hawaii loa ridge - it is so high and so expense in here
niu valley (you will me some kids swear at you and not be polite and some of the area is unsafe.)
kuliouou area(most jeehavoh witness
hahione valley -mostly nice and friendly neighboard and the people are really helpful
kaalakei valley (unsafe)
mariner ridge is a expense area to life
kaimiloiki valley , marines cove , kamehame ridge (unsafe)
kalama valley - same as hahione valley area
portlock -unsafe
nuuau - very careful over here in the early morning hr 12am -5am allot of homeless
ewa - same thing
kapolei area mostly sex offer
pearl harbor - is mostly racisam commuity
salt lake pretty nice people / friendly
kalihi - expectly this is the one you have to watch other for . deal drug and etc
makakilo area - allot of nice people
waipahu - allot of fight and mostly blackout in that neighboars
pearl city allot of crimal and break in too
aiea same as pearl city
waiane coast - heavy rain and wind and fight and crimal allot more in this area very careful
milliani area careful some guys might be following you home unsafe
wahiawa same as waiane area
haleiwa - moslty allot of business
north shore moslty homelss
kaawa - mostly flood and lightling

kaneohe area mostly allot of break in and acciendts
kailua area allot of rock following down
waimanalo - heavy rain and wind - you roof can fly off and it allot of the people are nice and friend some is drug deal
that all

you chinatown area - stay area

Old 12-08-2007, 03:18 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy1 View Post
I have never been to Hong Kong so my answer will only focus on Honolulu. I consider most parts of the city to be safe during the day. At night things change some. Waikiki at 2 a.m. can be unsafe with some of the drunk people and fights are quite common. Some of the areas West of Downtown namely, Chinatown, Palama and a few parts of Kalihi have some rough stuff going on but nothing like some Mainlands cities have. Unfortunately, drug usage is high in all Honolulu and all of Hawaii but violent crime is not common and it's unlikey to be random.
i agree with you and there are other parts of the island that are questionable. to reiterate: hawai'i was rated one of the safest states to live in.

i strongly disagree with another poster's "advice". first of all, MANY of the areas that are described are spelled incorrectly. secondly, kailua does have falling rocks but on a very very RARE occasion. the city has taken measures to stablize the hillside at the entrance to kailua town. also, the most recent incident happened in lanikai. the couple has lived there for decades and this was the first time a boulder came crashing into their home. most of kailua is flat and stretches from lanikai to aikahi with many subdivisions in between.

Last edited by kani-lehua; 12-08-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: emphasis

Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 80,123 times
Thank you, Kani-Lehua! I just joined this forum and was wondering what I joined. Like any other big city, the evening brings out the bad seeds. Stay away from Chinatown after sunset and use your common sense everywhere else.

If you're not sure, ask someone.

Aloha,
Honolulu Sprite

Old 12-09-2007, 12:58 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoluluSprite View Post
Thank you, Kani-Lehua! I just joined this forum and was wondering what I joined. Like any other big city, the evening brings out the bad seeds. Stay away from Chinatown after sunset and use your common sense everywhere else.

If you're not sure, ask someone.

Aloha,
Honolulu Sprite

mai mea wale aku 'oe!
(don't mention it!)

looking forward to reading your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu