Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 AM

79 posts, read 231,187 times

Advertisements

I agree becca, but my wife loved that yorkiepoo, I think she wants another to help her forget. Kind of like how someone gets a new boyfriend to forget the old. Not saying it's right, but I can understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
I don't understand how people have that concept. If you know it's not right to get a replacement dog, especially one from a backyard breeder/mill - why do you still insist on doing it? You would be part of the problem. Every BYB/mill dog that is bought provides a space for more to be produced. And the cycle continues...

Take your wife to the Humance Society one day just to check things out - the people there are super helpful. Contact the various rescue organizations - I used to volunteer with the Hawaii Dog Foundation when I lived there. Quick check on both their websites shows several small breed dogs available.

Or go with a reputable breeder - typically they are involved in shows, health test their dogs to make sure their lines are free from genetic diseases/traits, don't sell their dogs to the first person to give them money, etc.

Here's a list of reputable yorkie breeders from the breed club - http://www.ytca.org/breeder3a.html#HAW

Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 AM

79 posts, read 231,187 times
Thank you very much Becca, I will use a reputable breeder as well. I understand fully what you are saying and don't want to be part of the problem.

thank you!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
mahalo becca for all your post. designer dogs are bred from backyard breeders, puppy mills and people who are in the business to make money period. the health for the animal is not a concern.

phanos sounds like any small fluffy puppy would make your wife get over her loss and move on. no dog can ever be the same as the the dog that passed even if it is the same breed. some great small dogs she might like that are bred in hawaii and can be found

Pomeranian
Chihuhua the long haired are adorable
Cavalier king charles
Maltese
the list is endless.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
mahalo becca for all your post. designer dogs are bred from backyard breeders, puppy mills and people who are in the business to make money period. the health for the animal is not a concern.

phanos sounds like any small fluffy puppy would make your wife get over her loss and move on. no dog can ever be the same as the the dog that passed even if it is the same breed. some great small dogs she might like that are bred in hawaii and can be found

Pomeranian
Chihuhua the long haired are adorable
Cavalier king charles
Maltese
the list is endless.
I try to educate people as much as possible. So many people these days just want to go to a pet store to pick out a puppy without realizing what the horrible background is. Backyard breeders are almost as bad. I made the mistake previously of getting one of my dogs from a BYB - thankfully he hasn't had any issues, but I made sure to learn as much as I could. I actually just got a new puppy a few weeks ago from a reputable breeder that I drove 7 hours to go pick him up from. Couldn't be happier that I was patient and waited for the right time AND the right breeder.

To the OP - if your wife is into non-shedding dogs, maybe you can consider Italian Greyhounds (I have 3!)...they shed very little. I am friends with the lady that runs IG rescue in Hawaii so could definitely point you in the right direction. The breed isn't for everyone though, so feel free to ask me any questions if you happened to be interested.

Honestly, if you're looking for a mutt, then get a rescue. No point in going for ill-bred dogs. If you would rather a purebred, then go through the steps to find a reputable breeder. (or go through a rescue for that breed)

Last edited by Becca8377; 11-30-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Eventually, some of the mutts become breeds, though. If you breed a yorkiepoo with a yorkiepoo do you get more yorkiepoos? If they bred true, then technically wouldn't it be a new breed? One would hope they'd get a better name, although other than Swiffur I dunno what it would be.

What's the difference between a reputable breeder and a backyard breeder? Other than one has purebreds and one has mutts? Maybe a reputable breeders dogs don't end up at the pound or rescue?

I have a gr-gr-grandson of my first dog and he's a replacement for that dog. Same name and everything and the personality is very similar. Kimo the First was a bit more pig-headed when he thought he was right but other than that, Kimo Too is almost a carbon copy. Kimo Too is a touch happier and less determined but very similar to Kimo the First. They were/are purebred though, so perhaps the breed traits remain the same and create similar dogs.

Poodles have been crossed with all sorts of dogs to get similar hybrids with bizarre names such as cockapoos, labradoodles, etc. Dunno why it's the poodle that always seems to be crossed. Maybe because of the silly names? There are some hybrid crosses which are made on purpose. Frequently border collies will be crossed with Australian heelers for a certain type of working dog. They generally go back to crossing border collies with the heelers, though, when they want more of the same dogs. They don't seem to breed the hybrids to each other.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
The poodles get cross bred because they don't shed - they don't have the coat of a regular dog, it is more like hair.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Eventually, some of the mutts become breeds, though. If you breed a yorkiepoo with a yorkiepoo do you get more yorkiepoos? If they bred true, then technically wouldn't it be a new breed? One would hope they'd get a better name, although other than Swiffur I dunno what it would be.

What's the difference between a reputable breeder and a backyard breeder? Other than one has purebreds and one has mutts? Maybe a reputable breeders dogs don't end up at the pound or rescue?

I have a gr-gr-grandson of my first dog and he's a replacement for that dog. Same name and everything and the personality is very similar. Kimo the First was a bit more pig-headed when he thought he was right but other than that, Kimo Too is almost a carbon copy. Kimo Too is a touch happier and less determined but very similar to Kimo the First. They were/are purebred though, so perhaps the breed traits remain the same and create similar dogs.

Poodles have been crossed with all sorts of dogs to get similar hybrids with bizarre names such as cockapoos, labradoodles, etc. Dunno why it's the poodle that always seems to be crossed. Maybe because of the silly names? There are some hybrid crosses which are made on purpose. Frequently border collies will be crossed with Australian heelers for a certain type of working dog. They generally go back to crossing border collies with the heelers, though, when they want more of the same dogs. They don't seem to breed the hybrids to each other.
There is a heck of alot more to creating a new breed than letting a few mutts get together. It takes years and years of researching genetics, phenotypes, etc. Here's a nice long read that may help educate you - Creating A New Breed · by Dr. Carmen Battaglia (http://www.caninechronicle.com/Features/Battaglia_07/battaglia_207.html - broken link)

Backyard breeders don't only breed mutts - there are BYBs in the purebred dog world. BYBs don't care for breed standards and rarely health test their dogs. Reputable breeders typically show their dogs, often to championship which basically shows that they are a good representation of the standard of the breed. They will then breed to continue those lines and good genetics. I don't typically like to reference Wikipedia, but this one pretty much hit the nail on the head with a general overview - Backyard breeder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the terms "hybrid" or "designer dogs" are what breeders use to sound fancy rather than saying "my dog is a mutt"

Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,021 times
I really dislike all of these designer dogs....and I really don't approve of all these backyard breeders but on Kauai at least, that's all you seem to get (except if you go to the Humane Society). That being said, I'm not here to judge so maybe you can try looking at yahoo pets? Or put something on Craigslist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu