Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtreesandoceanbreeze View Post
I have thoughts of moving to Oahu soon. All the things that IslandDreamin described are the reasons I want to go to Oahu. I understand that living costs are one of the highest in the entire country, gas is $4, parking is expensive, there is racism against "haoles" aka white people, and once in awhile people can get "rock fever" but hawaii is calling to me.... I cant stand it I just need to be there asap.
But you'll have to leave in a short amount of time to get a decent job back on the mainland unless you want to amass debt and be poor the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennebediah View Post
Gasoline is a lot more than $4 a gallon... I just read they hit a new record over $5.50 a gallon. You should probably do a little more research.
Try looking at gasbuddy.com

Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 AM

52 posts, read 108,975 times
Wow. I understand that people are just trying to warn the mainlanders that think Hawai'i is their paradise and answer to all their life problems. But wow, is everyone on this board so incredibly negative all the time?

Yeah, so Hawai'i isn't perfect for everyone. People are going to come here and fail at life the way they're failing at it on the mainland. If people are seeking a place to answer their problems, perhaps they should look within themselves before spending the thousands to move here and then the thousands to move back.

Sometimes though, you know, you've found a temporary respite. As a wandering, restless spirit who craves adventure and beauty and a place with a soul Hawai'i can be home. At least for me because I had no idea where my home was supposed to be until I left it and I felt homesick for the first time in my life.

I doubt Hawai'i will really eventually accept me and that is why I cannot stay here forever. I will move on to something else, that is just the way I am. Hopefully that place will be beautiful, because it has some big shoes to fill.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDreamin View Post
Wow. I understand that people are just trying to warn the mainlanders that think Hawai'i is their paradise and answer to all their life problems. But wow, is everyone on this board so incredibly negative all the time?

Yeah, so Hawai'i isn't perfect for everyone. People are going to come here and fail at life the way they're failing at it on the mainland. If people are seeking a place to answer their problems, perhaps they should look within themselves before spending the thousands to move here and then the thousands to move back.

Sometimes though, you know, you've found a temporary respite. As a wandering, restless spirit who craves adventure and beauty and a place with a soul Hawai'i can be home. At least for me because I had no idea where my home was supposed to be until I left it and I felt homesick for the first time in my life.

I doubt Hawai'i will really eventually accept me and that is why I cannot stay here forever. I will move on to something else, that is just the way I am. Hopefully that place will be beautiful, because it has some big shoes to fill.
I don't think everyone is being negative.

I think people are trying to be realistic.

The people who have $10K in the bank - no degree - dreaming (my favorite)- never been here - I'll be frugal (even though they haven't been before since they have only $10K) - no backup plan - have 4 kids and no job prospect - missing a lung or heart issues - ultimately should be challenged with - what the heck are you thinking!

For most - this isn't a matter of trying it out - having an adventure and craving beauty. I see first hand every month how that sense of adventure and craving of beauty has cost them not only their life savings but put them in such a financial hole they may never recover in their entire lifetime - all for a 1-2 year stint in Hawaii. When people leave my company to move back to the mainland - often on borrowed funds - they rarely say it was worth it - they are broke, depressed, and hadn't realized what it really takes - and they pay for it the rest of their lives.

Most people can't realistically come to Hawaii for 2 years for a test drive - it wipes them out long term.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't think everyone is being negative.

I think people are trying to be realistic.

The people who have $10K in the bank - no degree - dreaming (my favorite)- never been here - I'll be frugal (even though they haven't been before since they have only $10K) - no backup plan - have 4 kids and no job prospect - missing a lung or heart issues - ultimately should be challenged with - what the heck are you thinking!

For most - this isn't a matter of trying it out - having an adventure and craving beauty. I see first hand every month how that sense of adventure and craving of beauty has cost them not only their life savings but put them in such a financial hole they may never recover in their entire lifetime - all for a 1-2 year stint in Hawaii. When people leave my company to move back to the mainland - often on borrowed funds - they rarely say it was worth it - they are broke, depressed, and hadn't realized what it really takes - and they pay for it the rest of their lives.

Most people can't realistically come to Hawaii for 2 years for a test drive - it wipes them out long term.
Maybe your company should pay more

Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 AM

52 posts, read 108,975 times
Well, I just think there an overwhelming amount of negativity here.

Yeah, I agree, there are people who should not come here.
However, there are people who should!

Not everyone mismanages their finances, but I understand there is a large percentage of people who dream too big and learn the hard way.

I learned a hard lesson when I moved from here to follow a dream in the PNW. Didn't work out for me. People in the forums warned me, yes they did, But I shut them out and said, "I'll be different! I won't be that one who messes up with a decision!" I just missed the warmth and sunshine too much.

I guess what I'm saying is that people are going to do what they're going to do whether or not people on city data forum try and tell them otherwise. There is already an overwhelming amount of information warning curious people who are thinking about moving here. It is the determined sort of person who is going to come over and learn for themselves.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Maybe your company should pay more
Ha ha - the answer to all your problems Wink - pay them more. I'll leave it at, more than 98% of our 200 employees make much more than your publicly stated $36K per year.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
I learned a hard lesson when I moved from here to follow a dream in the PNW. Didn't work out for me. People in the forums warned me, yes they did, But I shut them out and said, "I'll be different! I won't be that one who messes up with a decision!" I just missed the warmth and sunshine too much.

I guess what I'm saying is that people are going to do what they're going to do whether or not people on city data forum try and tell them otherwise. There is already an overwhelming amount of information warning curious people who are thinking about moving here. It is the determined sort of person who is going to come over and learn for themselves.
We are in agreement - despite what people say in this forum people are going to do what they want anyway. I post my views, not all "negative" so people are at least informed. I doubt many people change their minds - but who knows - maybe.

But, people ask questions - I answer as best I can. Whether they like the answer or not - and yes, I know they usually don't since they want affirmation of their plan.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:

Actually that's fairly typical of most desireable cities. I guess they call them transient places. Places like Arizona, Florida, etc....or larger cities like Washington DC, etc.

Many people 'try it out' for a couple years, and realize they'd rather be 'half backs' i.e. not in the sun, but somewhere warmer than where they began, but not as warm as where they went. Most with career ambitions to ambitious cities like DC or NYC, generally find that a few years later, they want something a bit slower, etc. People who go to Hawaii, later realize they wish they were closer to home, etc.

True, part of 'going out there', is learning more about yourself.

Generally this is a great thing for individuals who can easily make sudden life-changing moves. Not so good for those types who tend to buy large houses, try to find schools for all their kids, and locate freight companies to move a lifetime of accumulated 'stuff'.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,979 times
Quote:

To the OP's point, I agree that it is a great place for ones well being. Warm stable climate, great beaches, warm water, good food, generally friendly and accepting culture... can't complain about any of that!

I always thought that moving to Hawaii for a while is like going to college, there are lots of way to do it, lots of ways to pay for it, and it is a growing experience that will teach you a lot about yourself.

Bear with me, I'm gonna generalize a bit but I do have a point with this college analogy. I should know a little about it since I spent 9 years in college (part-time while working for a lot of it) .

Some folks go to to a private college, out of state, and get a degree in something that they are "passionate" about because they crave the experience. They have a blast and don't worry about the future much... In bad cases, they take out $100k in loans so that they can spend 6 years avoiding graduation while getting a humanities degree that will get them a job that pays $30k/yr if they are lucky... then they end up on CNN complaining that they are being crushed by their loan debt and it isn't fair that they should have to pay it.

Other folks spend their first 2 years at community college while working on the side, then transfer to a good state school and leave with little (if any) debt and an in demand degree like Computer Science degree that they are not "passionate" about but know that it will pay them $60k/yr and let them pretty much pick where they want to live... but they miss out on a lot of the "college experience" that others enjoy so much. These guys get annoyed when they see the first group on TV protesting and say stuff like "well if you hadn't taken out so much loans and actually gotten a degree in something useful you wouldn't be in that mess".

Of course there are tons of "in between" folks out there that make up the bulk of us. I am probably mostly group 2 with a bit of dreamer in me, which is why I loved Hawaii in my 20's and couldn't wait to get out after I got married, finished my masters, and approached 30.

But Hawaii, more than anyplace I have been, seems to attract transplants from group #1. There is nothing wrong with those folks, it is just a particular outlook on life, and part of the fun of moving out there for a lot of folks is the wild eyed optimism that comes from moving to "paradise" and just immersing yourself in the experience. Unfortunately, their "pie in the sky" dreams with little planning often leave them in a tough spot after a year or two in Hawaii because it is hard to make it out there by yourself and eventually the bills catch up with you, the isolation gets to you, or you end up missing home (often all of the above).

It seems like most of the regulars on this forum are closer to group #2, and that is probably why they actually made it and are still there , but it is also why they can seem like downers sometimes. They look at the risk/reward scenarios and make calculated decisions about the upsides and downsides of any choice. The "calculus" that they do to decide if a decision is good or bad is much different than group #1 because they likely value "the experience" of it somewhat less than a more impulsive person would and value the long term stability/career prospects etc... greater than a more impulsive person would. After all, even with good planning you can easily end up just scraping by out there, and they want to save people from that fate.

So overall I think the forum does a good job of tempering the dreamers with a dose of reality. Hawaii is great in part because of the youthful optimism than many of the residents have, but it also doesn't need any more homeless living under an overpass because they got stuck and couldn't pay rent.

Anyone who asks me about moving there I just tell them to have an exit plan and understand that it will set your career back unless they are able to find work in their field or plan on attending college.

Unless they are older and have a kids, at which point I tell them "DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU ARE GONNA BE MAKING AT LEAST $120k/yr!!!!" haha

Last edited by UHgrad; 04-19-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: