Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,907 times

Advertisements

Jesus Christ on a cracker, Viper, neither OP nor myself were irresponsible.

You seem to have a great lack of reading comprehension.

I am positive that someone with your cowering personality could NEVER handle teaching people to dive. Because you could not handle the responsibility. I'll bet you don't have the energy to work a couple of jobs at the same time either.

Just because you're a wuss doesn't mean that other people can't follow their dreams.

And I'm laughing at you because you missed JJ's sarcasm.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Nice quoting from 1980 Debby - an era older than the op.

Way out of touch.

It is 2012.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 AM

Nice 2:30 a.m. posting that makes no sense, oh cowering one.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM

Bebe83, I'll leave it to you to decide whose lifestyle you would prefer to emulate.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
"I'm decades away from the women in the video, but you can see in their faces that they had great younger lives. I hope to be in a video like that in 2042!"

Debby - You did state for the record you are at least 55 - so decades isn't exactly truthful - perhaps a few years would be a better description.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 AM

You are hilarious!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

For the record, people are shocked that I'm not in my early 40s. I can't tell you how many people tell me to stop admitting to being 55...I reply that I am proud to be 55, retired, youthful and healthy.

Yes, I will look like those women when I'm about 90. Well, maybe 88.

But then, spending my early adulthood enjoying myself has kept me youthful. Sitting in a cubicle during your 20s will drain the life out of you.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 AM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
the op should go for it. keep enough money stashed for a plane ticket home. take as much money as you can to help you get settled. you will have a blast. you may also find that you end up loving hawaii and making it your home for decades. life is what you make it and it sounds like hawaii is the next spot for you. you only regret things you didn't do. good luck

Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the op should go for it. keep enough money stashed for a plane ticket home. take as much money as you can to help you get settled. you will have a blast. you may also find that you end up loving hawaii and making it your home for decades. life is what you make it and it sounds like hawaii is the next spot for you. you only regret things you didn't do. good luck
Brilliant!!! And, I know you know what you're talking about.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 3,312 times
First of all I want to thank everyone for all their positive feedback...well mostly ....viper I can appreciate where you are coming from but you don't really know exactly the kind of person I am...I already have a 401K that I have been putting into through my current job and I am very responsible...I understand many people have the dream to have the career and be able to retire with a bottom dollar and at one point that was what I wanted...yes I have an expensive education underneath me but my journey through college was a personal endeavor for myself and not entirely to make some certain career for myself... in my short time on this earth I have seen far too much death and majority of those people close to me were taken far too soon and it has caused me to look at my life differently...if I don't have some fancy career and a million for retirement I am more than ok with that because life is much to short and tomorrow is not promised to us...you ask what happens when the adventure is over? what happens is I get too look back at my life as a girl who grew up in small town Indiana and lived in Chicago and spent time living in Hawaii...I wanna look back at my life and know I LIVED it...I know that it won't be easy making this transition but I have spent the most of my life working one or two jobs and going to school full time...so working hard doesn't scare me...but why not work hard in a place where I will be happy...something I am lacking in my current situation...I recently heard this quote "life begins when you leave your comfort zone" and that spoke to me because if there was ever a chance in my life to make this decision and do it, now is the time and I don't want to look back and always say I wished I had...sure I may fail, but failure is a part of life and helps you to grow as a person...and I am fortunate as I have friends and family there who can help to guide me...

Again everyone's feedback has been so great and uplifting...yes it's true I may go there and love it and end up staying permanently...and I am not being blind or stupid about this...I am going to travel light and will have upwards of $10,000 to go there with me because I have to be realistic about the challenges I may face...and NEVER EVER for one minute did I ever intend to life off the people of Hawaii...I have and always be a contributing person to society...

Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM

124 posts, read 431,979 times
Bebe83, you have no stated or apparent immediate responsibilities other than to yourself. You have the positive benefit of having family in Hawai'i, although you don't state the nature of your relationship nor the possiblity that relationship is a benefit in advice and/or support in your move. Perhaps they are yet unaware of your thoughts.

One of my college grad daughters moved to Hawai'i from the mainland when twenty-three. She did fine, although she had the benefit of already having friends in Hawai'i and had spent time repeatedly traveling to Hawai'i since very early childhood. She also speaks perfect Japanese which accelerated her employment opportunities and acceptance in Hawai'i. She lived in shared housing and worked several jobs. That was 7+ years ago. Hawai'i is her home and she will likely never leave.

Hawai'i is a small, isolated place. It's small townish and provincial in its outlook and attitudes. It's a melange of
predominately Polynesia and E Asia cultures and to succeed you must be willing to truly embrace its people. All too often people move from the mainland to Hawai'i and soon return because they are simply incapable of interacting with the people and accepting that they have to adapt and change. This is a daily reality one does not often encounter when vacationing
in Hawai'i.

DO NOT take a move lightly. I'd do as much research as possible. I would suggest talking at length with your family in Hawai'i and ask them for their opinions and advice but only after you have done your own research. Travel to Hawai'i once again and study it from the standpoint of living there. Make your decision to move only when you feel you have fulfilled and completed your research.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu