Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Anyone dependent upon advice from this forum as to whether or not they should move to Hawaii would have a hard enough time making it out of their padded cell, let alone getting onto a plane and actually making the trip... This has been found to be true at least 95% of the time....

I might move to Hawaii one of these days,,,,, uuuurrrrpppp...............................
BEST post on the thread!

Thanks, Timbo.

edited to add, not that they mean much to most people, but I gained 15 rep points in the two hours since I made that last post, went swimming, and came back home to log in. Hmmmm.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM

960 posts, read 1,219,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarii_HNL View Post
But aren't you one of those who is not here yet also? I was reading your back posts and aren't you on a modified 7 year plan?
Hi, I don't live in Honolulu. I do own property there and spent significant time in Honolulu multiple times every year for many years. Still that is very different than never having been to Oahu at all and trying to tell people they've got a good plan or a bad plan.

My bottom line is Hawaii is a place of dreams for many people. And I believe people should follow their dreams (in terms of a general life philosophy). I also believe most people who strongly feel the desire to move to Hawaii and have some means to do so, will do so regardless of what anyone posts on the board. And that's great for them. When they are old they can tell a great story that begins "when I was in Hawaii ..." and in the end, that's what life is all about.

I just think it's not a bad thing to have the rose colored glasses advice off-set by a bit of on-the-ground reality because life outside the Hilton Hawaiian Village is very different than life inside the Village.

Heck, I was one of those guys who took a vacation to Hawaii, loved my vacation and started thinking about how nice it would be to move there. So I am fully aware of the lure. But I understand I also have financial resources different than many people and I'm in a different stage of life than a lot of other people with the same dream. So i approach it differently. If I were 29 and single and back from a vacation and in a job I dislike, I'd probably give it a try also. But I think whtviper1 gives an important view of reality on the ground in Honolulu and it's good that people get to hear it because it's a forecast that will come true for many people making the move. But I don't think someone should not move just because of a post. They just may have a better idea of what they could face when they arrive. Maybe it even helps them plan a little more & avoid some of the pitfalls.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM

I agree with your post, Waikiki. But I still think that the dead horse beating should have stopped days ago. All of the points the OP needs to read have been made...and made...and made again. She "gets it." Just sayin'.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
By the way - up to post 64 - nobody from Oahu thinking this is a good idea still.
By the way - up to post 64 - 14 of those comments had been posted by whtviper1, for 22% of the total.

And looking at it from a different perspective, the breakdown of positions expressed by the 14 posters who had responded, up to that point, looks like this:

For - 6 - 43%

Against - 4 - 29%

Neutral - 4 - 29%

Calculations courtesy of ISNRSIN, The Institute for the Study of Non-Randomized, Statistically Insignificant Numbers.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM

756 posts, read 715,598 times
Wouldn't move to Cleveland with no job and only ten large in the bank ... let alone Oahu...

Old 07-08-2012, 02:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarii_HNL View Post
But aren't you one of those who is not here yet also? I was reading your back posts and aren't you on a modified 7 year plan? Viper was on a 10 year plan, McFrosty himself is on a 20 year move plan (10+10 according to his posts), there's even someon on a 30 year plan! So obviously your ways of doing things would differ greatly than the OPs. If it works for you all and that is how you roll, then wonderful!! But we're all different and see and do things differently
Excellent point! All any of can do is offer our opinion on the subject. Each person has to take those opinions, along with all the other info they have found while researching and come up with a plan that is right for them.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM

37 posts, read 61,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
I agree with your post, Waikiki. But I still think that the dead horse beating should have stopped days ago. All of the points the OP needs to read have been made...and made...and made again. She "gets it." Just sayin'.

I agree completely and thanks for saying this.,

Waikikiboy, Mc Frosty and others make EXCELLENT posts and comments. We all have varying comfort levels in venturing out, different needs and perspectives. But as you said, the point was made pages and pages ago.

Nobody has changed the OPs mind (or others too for that matter), what may have changed is her willingness to remain on this board in the future and give her perspective whether it be good or bad. And that would be a loss.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM

True that, Manarii. I highly doubt that she will return here to report her success in a few months...why put herself out there for more snarky criticism?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Anyone dependent upon advice from this forum as to whether or not they should move to Hawaii would have a hard enough time making it out of their padded cell, let alone getting onto a plane and actually making the trip... This has been found to be true at least 95% of the time....

I might move to Hawaii one of these days,,,,, uuuurrrrpppp...............................
Okole Maluna, Good Sir! Good to see you again.

I'm always impressed when a C Level Executive such as yourself, with a family, and many other interests in life, can find the time in your busy, busy schedule to occasionally stop by and write even a line or two, to give us the view from way up there. I don't know how you manage it! And that statistic you just shared, it clears up so many mysteries for me! Mahalo nui loa!

I wonder if you'd be willing to tell us, you being the acknowledged Master of Drink that you are, what part you think alcohol plays in obsessional internet posting?

And also, reflecting on the famous New Yorker cartoon of 1993 of a dog on a computer talking to his pal, with the caption "On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog"...

On the Internet, Nobody Knows You're a Dog

... what percentage of the posters giving advice here do you think are hiding behind fictitious identities? I mean, in round numbers. Approximately. As a wild guess, at least.

Oh, I see your glass is empty... let me get you another.

Okole Maluna!

You were saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu