Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm not bashing whtviper's advice, not at all. I think it is good, sound advice from one particular viewpoint. And I think everyone can benefit from considering what he has to say.

It is not, however, the only way to look at the question the OP asked.
And that's a point that a few people seem to be missing.

Quote:
Your experience is valid for you. Winkosmosis' experience is valid for him. Whtviper's is valid for him. But it may well be that none of those experiences have anything at all to do with what the OP's experience might be, because she is a completely different person. There IS NO RIGHT ANSWER. There is no ONE SIZE FITS ALL.
YES! Exactly. There are many, many, many people for whom Bebe's plan would be a disaster. Although probably a smaller population, there are also many people who would follow her plan and do just fine.

Quote:
And my most recent point is, now that the OP has made her own decision, I think it's clearly time to back off from the criticism and second guessing. The ballots are all in, the election has been decided, and the OP's heart has won.
Puh-leeze! Dogpiling Ms. Bebe will change nothing. If anything, I'm betting that continued negativity is making her even more determined to prove y'all wrong.

Quote:
I may be alone in this, but personally, I wish her all the best.
You are not alone.

And, I hope she comes back in a few months to tell us how it's going for her.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Month 1: You got a smoking deal. You found a roommate share for $1,000 month and includes all utilities like cable, electric, and internet. So, $1,000 security deposit. $1,000 first month rent. $500 Walmart miscellaneous moving expenses (get a bed, sheets, towels, Hawaii clothing), $50 cell phone, $60 bus pass, $250 food, $100 medical (pay COBRA premiums), $250 other stuff - could be anything like makeup, cleaning supplies, miscellaneous and the very rare activity or go out. $6,790 remaining.

Month 2: $1,000 rent including utilities. $50 cell phone, $60 bus pass, $250 food, $100 medical (pay COBRA premiums), $250 other stuff - could be anything like makeup, cleaning supplies, miscellaneous. $5,080 remaining.

Month 3: $1,000 rent including utilities. $50 cell phone, $60 bus pass, $250 food, $100 medical (pay COBRA premiums), $250 other stuff - could be anything like makeup, cleaning supplies, miscellaneous. $3,370 remaining

Month 4: $1,000 rent including utilities. $50 cell phone, $60 bus pass, $250 food, $100 medical (pay COBRA premiums), $250 other general living stuff - could be anything like makeup, cleaning supplies, miscellaneous. $1,660 remaining

Uh oh - can't make another month. I'll spend my remaining $1,660 getting myself back to the mainland and hope I'm not sued for the remaining rent after leaving my roommate high and dry.

Maybe the op got a part time job and this dragged on a little longer - maybe the op gets really lucky and gets a full-time job and it drags out even further - my point is you should have more than 4 months of Hawaii savings before Oahu adventuring because you are going to need the stars to align to get employment and if you can't find suitable employment you will be in a world of hurt.

Wish I could give you another rep!

For me, I would want to give myself a MUCH better chance of success in Hawaii than $10K can provide. I would also want to have WAY more than $1,660 to get back to the mainland and get re-established. But then I am just an old boy scout and still believe in always being prepared.
However, I do wish the OP the very best of luck.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 PM

960 posts, read 1,218,928 times
In Honolulu, there are a lot of people getting by on low wages. That's obvious because there are a lot of very low paying jobs and people are working them. But you don't have to spend much time outside the Tourist zones to see how they are getting by. And it's multiple people in a tiny apartment in a very old 3-story dirty cinder-block building that makes a Motel 6 look like a 5-star hotel. Maybe even a set of washer-driers outside the building if you're lucky. In reality, that's how most people working the low wage jobs are living the dream and making it work in Honolulu.

The people who have vacationed once, hate their jobs and want a fresh start also want a nicer apartment in a secure building, enjoy a few meals out (somewhere other than the Ala Moana Mall Food Court), want to occasionally shop Kalakaua and enjoy weekend cocktails after surfing for the day. Unless they come with significant savings or a very good paying job by Honolulu standards, they will either quickly run out of money or they will need to adjust their dream and start living in the type of place I described above.

Unless you have actually lived in Honolulu or spent significant time in Honolulu, you can't really have any idea what to expect in terms of expenses, job market, salaries, or what the actual quality of life is like for the people who are actually "making it long-term" on a low wage in Honolulu.

I find it funny when people give advice about moving and living in Honolulu and what is a good plan that will work, when they've actually never been to the City or the State. Pretty funny really.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:06 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe83 View Post
I want to know what would it take for someone like me to pick up and move to Oahu...I am currently just looking at this as a 2-3 year adventure and then re-evaluate...I have an extensive administrative background with experience in the service industry as well and I am willing to work 2 jobs if I need to...I don't require much more than basic needs...while I understand groceries and bills and rent are more expensive in Chicago...I am willing to make whatever compromises are necessary...I also will be selling my car as I am used to public transit and can make do without it and could use the extra cash for my start up funds... I also am not opposed to finding roommates as that is how I have lived my entire time in Chicago...am I completely crazy to think this is possible? or would I be struggling so much that it wouldn't be worth it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
In Honolulu, there are a lot of people getting by on low wages. That's obvious because there are a lot of very low paying jobs and people are working them. But you don't have to spend much time outside the Tourist zones to see how they are getting by. And it's multiple people in a tiny apartment in a very old 3-story dirty cinder-block building that makes a Motel 6 look like a 5-star hotel. Maybe even a set of washer-driers outside the building if you're lucky. In reality, that's how most people working the low wage jobs are living the dream and making it work in Honolulu.

The people who have vacationed once, hate their jobs and want a fresh start also want a nicer apartment in a secure building, enjoy a few meals out (somewhere other than the Ala Moana Mall Food Court), want to occasionally shop Kalakaua and enjoy weekend cocktails after surfing for the day. Unless they come with significant savings or a very good paying job by Honolulu standards, they will either quickly run out of money or they will need to adjust their dream and start living in the type of place I described above.
The OP original post seems to have a willingness to live as you realistically describe for a low payed worker. I suppose the question that the OP needs to answer is her own question, "would I be struggling so much that it wouldn't be worth it". Her move is "doable", but only she can evaluate if she would truly be happy living the lower-income life.

Of course, there is always the possibility that she'll land a well paying job, and then she will have a much gentler adjustment.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Of course, there is always the possibility that she'll land a well paying job, and then she will have a much gentler adjustment.
Such as? Op was invited several times to share any special skill. In her 3 posts, how does she get ahead of the line of all the people already in Oahu looking for work? We do have people out of work here. As an Oahu person that hires people - admin skills (which the op was looking for) aren't in high demand for newcomers. Newcomers are in the back of the line. Especially just arrived.

We learned a few things from the gang of three.

They are uniquely qualified regarding this move despite 1 not living in Hawaii or 2 of them not living in Oahu. I've actually made this move. To Oahu.

Even on a anonymous message board - on the most populated island - nobody on Oahu chimed in this is a good idea.

We were dazzled about adventures. We learned you will regret this rest of your life if you don't do this move right now. Right now! Waiting is a bad idea when you have more savings. You know, I've lived in Europe, Asia, and Australia - and while it was great - I'd have no regrets if one of those places didn't pan out.

Budgets and math don't matter. We were mystified by Helen Keller quotes - who knew she could play a role on both sides of the issue.

She made her mind up - so further discussion isn't required - actually discouraged. Let us hope the gang of three don't come across someone jumping off a building - and they actually say "I'm jumping" - since the mind is made up apparently.

Even in the face of overwhelming numbers one must adventure as hope must be a strategy.

What I feel bad about the gang of three is they don't realize every week in Oahu this is common occurance. For all the exit interviews I do - for people making far more than admin salaries - they don't think it was worth it. They are worried about what they do next. The only people I found that said it was worth it was those who planned and with adequate savings.

But that is ok, being retired and sitting on the ivory tower in the glass houses on the Big Island makes it all ok.

By the way - up to post 64 - nobody from Oahu thinking this is a good idea still.

Last edited by whtviper1; 07-08-2012 at 04:41 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 AM

37 posts, read 61,728 times
Back from Dukes Viper? Yeah, we know. No happy hour... so you say.. You really do purposely taunt people. It's very apparent. I don't like the idea of putting people on ignore on this board because it's an advice board and I think it's important to counter act anything you may say that someone has an opposite opinion about. Nobody has ever said your advice is bad or 100% wrong, but everybody goes through life with different ideas and ways of doing things, and at some point, you have to realize somebody elses life is not your life to live. You're not the Hawaii gatekeeper.

To me it says a lot that you seem to continually give exit interviews to 'well paid' workers who somehow suddenly decide to leave the island. Me thinks they're leaving you for better positions and are just being kind. That's what Hawaii people do.

i dont' know why anybody would want to take up your offer (or game) of a position when it seems to some of us that you are simply taunting and we know how you must look down upon someone making an entry level admin salary. Why would someone want to put up with that?

" By the way - up to post 64 - nobody from Oahu thinking this is a good idea still."
More taunting from you. People aren't running on the bandwagon because she's made her mind up and has the info she needs. She does not need to run anything by 'the board" to gain entry into Hawaii. She's not said anything that has given any impression she is stupid or doesn't have a handle on HER LIFE. Also, many probably find it tiring always getting multiple rebuttals from you, timelines on how someone is going to live their life, scenarios in triplicate. Again, she nor anybody else needs our or your permission to come to Hawaii and try it.

I'm sure my comment will resurrect the gate of criticism about me from you now
(and before we go further, for the 100th time, I don't live in a roach infested place and starve lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
....advice about moving and living in Honolulu and what is a good plan that will work, when they've actually never been to the City or the State. Pretty funny really.
But aren't you one of those who is not here yet also? I was reading your back posts and aren't you on a modified 7 year plan? Viper was on a 10 year plan, McFrosty himself is on a 20 year move plan (10+10 according to his posts), there's even someon on a 30 year plan! So obviously your ways of doing things would differ greatly than the OPs. If it works for you all and that is how you roll, then wonderful!! But we're all different and see and do things differently

I guess I'm not sure why this poster has become the poster child of the month for not moving to Hawaii. She's a young person, knows what she wants to do and is not afraid of going after it. There are simply just people in this world who are like that and some who aren't.

I'm sure she's done research on various housing alternatives. Research on jobs and pay. There's a huge mortgage boom and many of the banks and companies are hiring temp help to help out. It's no secret pay is lower here. Heck I ve seen $11 jobs listed that I have found are going for $14 in Des Moines Iowa!! (and the cost of living there is half of that in Honolulu) But I've known several people who have been hired permanently thru temp jobs. Just walk around Waikiki and see all the (and pardon me for saying this) haole faces working in every conceivable type of position from shops, restaurants, tour busses etc.. There's even a black guy and a few white guys working at Marukame Udon! (and they'll even say Mushi mushi lol) School starts soon and maybe some of those day jobs held by summer break workers will open up more too. There are no guarantees either way, but every body has the right to pick up and move where they want and suffer any repurcussions in doing so. I'm sure she has a plan if things don't work out, but I honestly do not think she will starve.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarii_HNL View Post
You really do purposely taunt people. It's very apparent. I don't like the idea of putting people on ignore on this board because it's an advice board and I think it's important to counter act anything you may say that someone has an opposite opinion about. Nobody has ever said your advice is bad or 100% wrong, but everybody goes through life with different ideas and ways of doing things, and at some point, you have to realize somebody elses life is not your life to live. You're not the Hawaii gatekeeper.

Many people noticed that two trolling threads suddenly vanished.

Quote:
i dont' know why anybody would want to take up your offer (or game) of a position when it seems to some of us that you are simply taunting and we know how you must look down upon someone making an entry level admin salary. Why would someone want to put up with that?
And, we don't even know who he is. Lots of pretenders on internet forums. We have no reason to believe he is who he claims to be.

Quote:
" By the way - up to post 64 - nobody from Oahu thinking this is a good idea still."
Almost nobody from Oahu posts anywhere on this forum, period! Maybe they are too busy working their three jobs.
Quote:
More taunting from you. People aren't running on the bandwagon because she's made her mind up and has the info she needs. She does not need to run anything by 'the board" to gain entry into Hawaii. She's not said anything that has given any impression she is stupid or doesn't have a handle on HER LIFE. Also, many probably find it tiring always getting multiple rebuttals from you, timelines on how someone is going to live their life, scenarios in triplicate. Again, she nor anybody else needs our or your permission to come to Hawaii and try it.
I wonder how he has time to live on this board waiting to pounce on newcomers and beat dead horses over and over and over if he's so busy processing exit interviews. There is such an obsession with telling people don't come, you're going to fail. Oh and what about that fake "statistic" that 95% of people return to the mainland within two years? When pressed for the source of that information...it turned out to be a totally made up "fact". At best, it could have been based on the experience in his company, but there were no sources cited that gave that information for Oahu or HI as a whole. Maybe he just works for a company that nobody wants to stay with?

Quote:
I guess I'm not sure why this poster has become the poster child of the month for not moving to Hawaii. She's a young person, knows what she wants to do and is not afraid of going after it. There are simply just people in this world who are like that and some who aren't.
Well, here's the current theory. Someone on this board just CAN'T ever be wrong. If our OP comes to Hawai'i and is successful, then he would be proven wrong. So, he's praying she won't come because if she's successful, it's a fail for him. Notice how he is positively obsessed with this, he just can't let it go. I said it before...my bet is that all the negativity is just making her more bound and determined to go to Hawai'i to prove that it can be done, and done well.

You know what? She might fail. None of us dispute that point. But to keep beating her over the head about it smacks of obsession. It stopped being helpful days ago.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,910 times
manarii, I cant rep you again, wish I could. You have hit the nail on the head and drove it in deep.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Anyone dependent upon advice from this forum as to whether or not they should move to Hawaii would have a hard enough time making it out of their padded cell, let alone getting onto a plane and actually making the trip... This has been found to be true at least 95% of the time....

I might move to Hawaii one of these days,,,,, uuuurrrrpppp...............................

Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,910 times
Debby, cant rep you again either. I live on Oahu and try to keep my posts to a minimum to try and do my part to keep all this bashing and negitivity down. There are a couple of folks on here who think if you dont make a million plus a year you are doomed to fail here in Hawaii, and it is simply not true. I feel for people who have this attitude. Some cant see the forest for the trees but life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu