Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,832,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan07 View Post
I'm being transferred to Hawaii in march, specifically ill be working at the honolulu international airport. I'm hoping that someone can guide me in the right direction to find a nice apartment complex close bye that's not going to break my bank. I've already got a vehicle lined up so that's not an issue, thank you so much for any help!
You should look in the Salt Lake area. It's very close to the airport and there are tons of apartment complexes in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,092 times
I'll 2nd (3rd, 4th) the Craigslist recommendation, just watch for bogus postings. If it sounds too good to be true... Since you'll be working at the airport, you may want to look into an apartment in Salt Lake. There are plenty of apartments in this area and the commute time (5 min and no traffic!) can't be beat. Hope this helps even a little!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,173 times
ive been searching around craigslist and zillow lately too, and have come across a few scams as well. i really would like to set up something before arriving to oahu, but it really seems like a big risk. i had a couple that seemed very promising, but then asked for the security deposit. the telephone they gave me was for the midwest, just very shady stuff. any one have recomendations for good temporary housing around the honolulu-waikiki area? or a good realtor that deals in short term apartment rentals?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD222 View Post
i really would like to set up something before arriving to oahu, but it really seems like a big risk.
It is a big risk. The consensus here seems to be: DON'T DO IT!

Either use a service like VRBO to book a vacation rental for a couple of weeks or a month, while you physically look for a permanent rental, OR book a cheap hotel for the purpose, which at least is an open ended commitment.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD222 View Post
or a good realtor that deals in short term apartment rentals?
Honolulu isn't like Boston or New York where brokers specialize in rentals. Go to VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner for a vacation and when here look for permanent places on craigslist. Stay away from Zillow.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 PM

168 posts, read 518,919 times
It took me three weeks of constantly contacting people on Craigslist to find a place. We only knew about this unit, because the broker called me to let me know one I inquired about was already taken, but there was an open house at another condo. This was all after three months of my partner searching just on the weekends before I moved here.

If you find a place you like, TAKE IT!!!!! It really is a landlord's market in Oahu.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM

36 posts, read 89,519 times
Try Zillow.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richjsn View Post
Try Zillow.
Avoid Zillow. Too many scams.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
I've glanced at some zillow ads in the past and they are obviously mostly fake - not even so much to scam - but fake.

The craigslist ads are mostly legit and the fake ones easy to flush out.

Oahu especially has a unique rental culture - many potential landlords aren't super responsive - many won't meet you in the evening - many tell you when they will meet you - not when you will meet them. That isn't the case for all landlords - but I get a lot of feedback from contractors we bring over from the mainland on long-term projects - finding a place is a challenge.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 AM

8 posts, read 8,961 times
There are a fair number of scam ads on Craigslist but nowhere near 90%. It may seem like that because it's 90% of what you're replying to, because what the scammers do is copy the text and pictures from another ad, then reduce the rent by 20% or so.

Besides an unusually low rent, the main thing I've noticed that almost guarantees a post is a scam is that the email address to reply to isn't anonymized. Normally CL generates a gibberish address to reply to, but for some reason the scammers invariably show their real address, a throwaway from yahoo or something (they also always reply from a different one if you contact them). I've seen a couple of ads that appear to be legit that didn't anonymize the address, but they were things like "oahurealestate@gmail.com", not "john33904@yahoo.com".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: