Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:04 PM

163 posts, read 269,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Are we being Punk'd??
I wonder if Corky and her family are the ones being Punk'd. I've never been a fan of travel agents, but now I know for sure I will always plan my own vacation!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,309,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Wow, thanks for the tip on locking things in the car. I should know better, as my car was broken into twice right on my driveway.
As for Maui, my travel agent said it's way too commercial there...
I agree with your travel agent, Maui is way too commercial. Even though Maui is less populous than Oahu, Maui gets four times the visitors that Oahu does. In any given month on Maui visitors outnumber resident. CA ought to just annex Maui there are so many Californians there.

Honolulu has the tourist sights, but when you get on the North Shore and Windward, Oahu is much less touristy and commercial than Maui.

If someone wants the remote, tropical experience, North Shore Oahu or Kauai is the way to go, not Maui.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I agree with your travel agent, Maui is way too commercial. Even though Maui is less populous than Oahu, Maui gets four times the visitors that Oahu does.
Are you the travel agent?

Anyway, your statement is not only false regarding visitor arrivals to Maui - it isn't remotely close.

2013:

Oahu Visitors: 5,100,169
Oahu Only: 3,790,373

Maui Visitors: 2,362,629
Maui Only: 1,448,913

Kauai Visitors: 1,113,523
Kauai Only: 594,817

Big Island: 1,450,247
Kona Side: 1,210,856
Hilo Side: 532,238
Big Island Only: 662,698

Visitor Growth was highest on Oahu at 4%, so not only does Oahu get the most visitors, it is growing the most.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,309,332 times
Quote:
Are you the travel agent?

Anyway, your statement is not only false regarding visitor arrivals to Maui - it isn't remotely close.

2013:
I took the stats directly from the state's website. The Maui Highlights spreadsheet.

Visitor Statistics | Oahu & Neighbor Island Highlights

Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I took the stats directly from the state's website. The Maui Highlights spreadsheet.

Visitor Statistics | Oahu & Neighbor Island Highlights
The flaw with "Maui Highlight" is that it represents those who go to Maui - and then on to Oahu.

Please see the official state of Hawaii visitor arrival statistics. It is simply impossible for Maui to have as many visitors as Oahu just by the nature of the number of hotel rooms.

Visitor Statistics | Monthly Visitor Statistics

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM

481 posts, read 1,061,499 times
This is my first time using a travel agent. Usually I plan everything, but for this trip, my planning time is limited and with 5 islands, I didn't know what to do. The agent I'm using lives in LA but goes to Hawaii often. She's stayed at all the places she booked us at.
I guess, as with everything, it's all a matter of preference. Oahu will give us some history, some city life, some nature... it seems that everyone in my family will get a little of what they like. Then we go to the big island to Volcano park (then on to the coast for the remainder of the trip).

Old 06-18-2014, 06:11 PM

163 posts, read 269,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
This is my first time using a travel agent. Usually I plan everything, but for this trip, my planning time is limited and with 5 islands, I didn't know what to do. The agent I'm using lives in LA but goes to Hawaii often. She's stayed at all the places she booked us at.
I guess, as with everything, it's all a matter of preference. Oahu will give us some history, some city life, some nature... it seems that everyone in my family will get a little of what they like. Then we go to the big island to Volcano park (then on to the coast for the remainder of the trip).
Honestly, I planned both of my vacations using one Frommers Hawaii book. I think the best thing it did for me is briefly lay out what I call the character of each island in the span of a few pages (Oahu has both cities and great beaches, Kauai is great for greenery and a much more laid back atmosphere, etc). Reading that helped me pick Oahu the first time and Maui the second time.

Once I picked an island, I went though the dedicated chapter and checked off everything I wanted to do. Frommers has little icons next to each attraction and hotel to denote who may be most interested. For instance, there are icons for kids and teens and as well as couples. Once I checked off the activities, I picked a hotel (the pros and cons of each are in the book), double checked the ratings on Trip Adviser, and booked it. The whole process took me about a week and most of that was carefully combing through the attractions and sites.

Does the agent have kids? What does she like to do? Sometimes how people vacation skews their perception of what makes a good vacation. For instance, I avoid resorts like the plague. I can give adequate advice on small hotels, little shops, shows and festivals that tourists may never hear about, and other things you may miss if you go stay in a tourist trap. But I don't know the first thing about resorts.

I think things will work out for you, but remember there are ways your plan your trip in a fairly short amount of time if you have the correct resources.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Honestly, I planned both of my vacations using one Frommers Hawaii book.
Exactly! People need to get a travel book/website to help plan a trip - Frommers, Fodors, TripAdvisor, etc....

Those sites/books are dedicated to travel and are the best source to plan trips.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
Exactly! People need to get a travel book/website to help plan a trip - Frommers, Fodors, TripAdvisor, etc....

Those sites/books are dedicated to travel and are the best source to plan trips.
Forgive me viper, i mean no stink about saying this. But im trying to understand your logic? If someone is moving to hawaii or vacationing, isnt the airfare the same for example. I understand if we are slammed with people asking questions that we would want to priorities things? But we are far from being slammed. Further just my opinion, alot of people who move to Hawai'i do often end up just being longer staying tourists. So why can't we show aloha and answer a tourism question?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Forgive me viper, i mean no stink about saying this. But im trying to understand your logic? If someone is moving to hawaii or vacationing, isnt the airfare the same for example. I understand if we are slammed with people asking questions that we would want to priorities things? But we are far from being slammed. Further just my opinion, alot of people who move to Hawai'i do often end up just being longer staying tourists. So why can't we show aloha and answer a tourism question?
Huh? If you want to show "aloha" - then direct them to a source where they can actually get the question answered - that is the best thing someone can do for them. Travel sites have dedicated itineraries based on length of stay - off the beaten path areas, entertainment ideas, kid suggestions, ratings and comments from users, tips, restaurant reviews, hotel reviews, suggestions based on budget, deals, when to go, etc.....

You don't go to Car and Driver to find an Italian Restaurant do you? You go to Car and Driver to get a review on an Italian Sports Car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu