Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,209 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to Ohau for the first time, for six days (with husband and two teens). We're supposed to spend six days there before we head to the big island. I'm concerned about Oahu since a friend of mine, who honeymooned there, just told me that six days is way too much and we'll be bored. Is this true, or was she just not aware of places to go and things to see? Or should we cut Ohau short and go to Maui?
I appreciate anyone who can shed light since this is a once in a life time trip for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 05:14 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
It really depends on what your interests are but I'd say unless you're really picky about what you want to do, six days will be fine. There are enough things to see and do to keep you busy for six days. I believe I read that the average length of stay for American tourists to Hawaii is about a week, so 6 days seems perfectly normal. If you're thinking about doing 3 islands (Oahu, Maui, Big Island) I think that's a bit too much for a single vacation, but then again everyone's different. Not sure how much research you've done but I find Tripadvisor to be an excellent website to get an idea of what you'd want to do at any particular destination.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 PM

We are just doing Ohau and the big island, six days in Ohau, then two nights (one day) in volcano park, and six days on the Kohala coast (I think that's the name). It's costing us $4000 to fly out there, so we made it two weeks, to make it worth our while. My friend said three days tops I Ohau, so now I'm nervous the family will be unhappy.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
There is a larger variety of things to do on Oahu than the other islands in my opinion. If you get bored on Oahu, either it's just not your cup of tea or you've not prepared.

Research some of the things that interest you and plan to go do them. Some of my usual suggestions for Oahu (other than swimming and playing at the beach) are, in no particular order: Visit the Iolani Palace, you'll be glad you did. Walk around China Town. Visit the Bishop Museum or visit Shangri La (the Doris Duke estate).

The Teens will like these: Hike Diamond Head. Take a Shark Tour off the North Shore. Visit the Polynesian Cultural Center and stay for the Luau and the night show after the Luau call "Ha, the Breath of Life". You could also consider taking the teens to Wet N Wild (water park) for the day.

Research your trip and you'll find Oahu to be full of things to keep you busy far longer the just 6 days. But depends on what type of vacation you are hoping to have.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
There is a larger variety of things to do on Oahu than the other islands in my opinion. If you get bored on Oahu, either it's just not your cup of tea or you've not prepared.

Research some of the things that interest you and plan to go do them. Some of my usual suggestions for Oahu (other than swimming and playing at the beach) are, in no particular order: Visit the Iolani Palace, you'll be glad you did. Walk around China Town. Visit the Bishop Museum or visit Shangri La (the Doris Duke estate).

The Teens will like these: Hike Diamond Head. Take a Shark Tour off the North Shore. Visit the Polynesian Cultural Center and stay for the Luau and the night show after the Luau call "Ha, the Breath of Life". You could also consider taking the teens to Wet N Wild (water park) for the day.

Research your trip and you'll find Oahu to be full of things to keep you busy far longer the just 6 days. But depends on what type of vacation you are hoping to have.
Thanks, WaikikiBoy! That's just what I need!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:56 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
Oh, one other thing that I normally enjoy (although it's become quite crowded over the years) is to go to the Farmers Market Saturday morning a Kapiolani Community College. It's a large market and is really crowded any more. But I think it's a fun morning none the less. I think it opens at 7:00am and runs to 10:00 or 11:00.

And there's always snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.

Depending on your budget, there are also submarine tours off Waikiki Beach (search for it and you'll find it).

There is also a Pirate Ship tour (I"ve never been on it so I'm not endorsing it) but the Teens might like it. I think the website is Hawaiipirateship.com

Plenty of free (or low cost) things to do also. There is a free history tour of the Moana Surfrider Hotel. Lots of interesting history behind that hotel. Of course, rent a paddle board for Stand Up Paddle ... it's pretty inexpensive.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,775 times
Kaimuki is only a few miles away. Have you checked out 101 things to do in Kaimuki?

Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
The pirate ship had a Groupon special one time which leads me to think you may find more specials on there for other things. There are a couple of things that you'll never find anywhere else like Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Culture Center.
We lived there a year and plan to visit again. One thing we did that was wonderful was to camp at Bellows Beach Park. You can reserve your spot in advance (you have to) and it's very affordable. Sleeping with the ocean waves singing to you is amazing. I slept out in the open on a cot. One guy we saw slung a hammock between trees. (I'd test your hammock skills before trying that) Waking up to the sunrise over the ocean...wow. (picture) I think it would be worth packing a nylon tent if you intend to do that, or grab a cheapie at Walmart. The locals are thick there with family gatherings, which is cool. It's well patrolled with a military base adjacent. I wouldn't recommend camping at any other place. If you could use the base facilities that would be even better but still, it's one of the kindest beaches we experienced. I wouldn't spend a lot on paddleboarding or surfing. You can pick up a couple of cheap boogie boards at walmart and have a blast. If you want to rent something KAYAK. That's so much fun and if you see a shark you're less likely to freak out.

IF IT RAINS the beach is still fun, it will be warm that time of year. Don't let the weather get you. "The sun is always shining in Waianae!" became our mantra. Besides Bellows, our favorite beaches were up the Leeward side, if you follow H1 all the way up Farrington to the very end, a lot of college kids are there. There's a cave you can walk in on the drive up. The scenery is THE BEST of the coast and the hills. Unless you plan to spend the night with the college kids DO NOT be in that area after dark. That side of the island isn't safe after dark and is best on the weekend when loads of families are out in force.

We were dying to get into those gorgeous hills and FINALLY we found a way to do it. Manana Trail. Read up on it and heed advice but it's gorgeous. Diamond head is awesome, so is the lighthouse trail but IT IS HOT. Read up on your history, research your hiking trails and see what you think. You can always have a hike up your sleeve as a possible but it won't be a huge thing if you miss it. The ocean view is what's the most amazing on Oahu so, if you want to do the hike thing, the Lighthouse is a good one for that. Teenagers? Think they're tough? KOKOHEAD. They can be proud of that! I passed but my guy and his teen went. That's right near the Hanauma Bay, WaikikiBoy spoke of. There's another hike at H.Bay but it's either that or the Lighthouse. Remember no restrooms or water on these hikes so be prepared.

Don't forget sunscreen & sunglasses! I personally like the sunglasses that are sold in the safety glasses isle at Home Depot. Cheap, sturdy and no biggee if I lose them.

What else? Local fare includes 2 scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. Don't expect to be wowed. Our favorite was Tanioki's Poke if you're a sushi lover this will make your day. Or Tamara's is okay, too (depends which one. Get a few containers of poke (with sea asparagus if possible), your favorite beverage (Longboard is good) and hit the beach.

The north shore is classic but the traffic can be HORRIBLE during certain times. Traffic can be horrible all over Oahu but you might be able to plan your schedule to avoid the worst times. Don't be scared to throw a shaka out there to your fellow drivers. It's expected when they are courteous to you.

Okay, that's my favorite of Oahu in a rather large nutshell. Sorry for the novel.
Attached Thumbnails
Going to Oahu in July for Vacation-sunrisebellows.jpg  

Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 AM

Thanks, Huntersest, it sounds awesome. We are booked in a rather expensive resort, so we won't be sleeping out on a beach, lol. I do want to look into some hiking trails, but the easy kind, since we're not used to heavy duty hiking. I like the idea of seeing a cave, I'll have to look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu