Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 AM

189 posts, read 261,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In my opinion, Hawaii taxes, especially property taxes, are far to low and should be raised. If my house was in California I'd pay well over $20,000 year. Here, just a fraction of that.
So i guess your house is valued above 1.5m...you did well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
I'll assume you mean, the average person who lives in Hawaii gets by. Only about 10% of the population is "Hawaiian".

Median income is generally a good indicator of "average". Most people by far live on Oahu.

The median income for a single person on the island of Oahu according to HUD is $67,100. That income is sufficient for a small 1 bedroom on the more desirable parts of the island or some fight traffic and get more space in less desirable areas such as the West Side of the island. Others get roommates, girlfriend/boyfriend, or have a dual income by marriage.

That isn't remotely true. "Most" people do not have 2 jobs nor live in multigenerational houses. If you said some immigrant families do that generally because of poor language skills or lack of job skills you'd be more on the right track.

7% of Hawaiian households have assets excluding houses of over $1,000,000 - among the top 3 in the United States.

On this I highly disagree. In my opinion, the standard of living on Oahu is much higher due to much increased wages - the only thing cheaper on lets say the Big Island is housing - but everything else is more expensive - electric, groceries, etc. You see this reflected by nicer and newer cars on the road, higher end retail stores, etc.

Median income for a single person on Oahu is $67,100 versus $46,500 in Hawaii County according to HUD in 2014, a very substantial difference.

A very large percent of the population has two jobs and has mulit-generations living together. It is much more common than you seem to believe, though I have no statistics to back that up. You once said if someone doesn't have $100 to blow they shouldn't be living in Hawaii. Bad news, that a huge portion of the residents here. From college students living all together, to you minimum wage workers who live with tutus, mom and dad, and they kids and THEIR kids. If those people left...... we would have no more service industry.... and we are mostly a service industry.

I know lots of rich people, but I know even more poor people. Visit the pupu streets in Waipahu, heck, MOST places in Waiphau; Kalihi, Waimanalo, Aiea, Pearl City, Waianae and beyond, a lot in Kaneohe.....

While I agree with you on a lot of things, it seems your stay in Hawaii, no matter how long, has been limited.

The staff I depended on to make my livable wage, thought I was the best boss EVER when I bought them a loaf of bread, luncheon meat and soda. I kid you not. No condiments, no vegetables.... just what I wrote. It was good when I bought them a can of tuna. These were various men and women from a pool of 15 laborers, sometimes aged 50 something. Hard labor. Obviously I had no control over their wages, I believe in investment in good employees.

It blew my mind how poor some are. "Poor" is a concept to most, and reality to many. Due to lack of educations, support and a comfort in what they know, they are content with this lifestyle, which is fine, if they are happy.

But do not make the mistake of thinking this population is small in Hawaii.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-18-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A very large percent of the population has two jobs and has mulit-generations living together. It is much more common than you seem to believe, though I have no statistics to back that up. You once said if someone doesn't have $100 to blow they shouldn't be living in Hawaii. Bad news, that a huge portion of the residents here. From college students living all together, to you minimum wage workers who live with tutus, mom and dad, and they kids and THEIR kids. If those people left...... we would have no more service industry.... and we are mostly a service industry.

I know lots of rich people, but I know even more poor people. Visit the pupu streets in Waipahu, heck, MOST places in Waiphau; Kalihi, Waimanalo, Aiea, Pearl City, Waianae and beyond, a lot in Kaneohe.....

While I agree with you on a lot of things, it seems your stay in Hawaii, no matter how long, has been limited.

The staff I depended on to make my livable wage, thought I was the best boss EVER when I bought them a loaf of bread, luncheon meat and soda. I kid you not. No condiments, no vegetables.... just what I wrote. It was good when I bought them a can of tuna. These were various men and women from a pool of 15 laborers, sometimes aged 50 something. Hard labor. Obviously I had no control over their wages, I believe in investment in good employees.

It blew my mind how poor some are. "Poor" is a concept to most, and reality to many. Due to lack of educations, support and a comfort in what they know, they are content with this lifestyle, which is fine, if they are happy.

But do not make the mistake of thinking this population is small in Hawaii.
Can I honestly say to you sistah, mahalo you brought tears to my eyes. Mahalo for saying what I've been trying to say in my heart and finnally speaking a truth.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
A very large percent of the population has two jobs and has mulit-generations living together. It is much more common than you seem to believe, though I have no statistics to back that up.
I admire that you hang out with the less fortunate. Really.

I know you said you can't offer stats. I did. I can repeat all the links if you wish.

7% of all households who claim Hawaii residence (1 in 15) have assets excluding the primary residence and retirement funds above $1,000,000.

11% of households are multigenerational-mostly immigrant families. According to US Census.

$70,000 is about the median income of a full-time worker on Oahu according to HUD.

Oahu has one of lowest poverty rates in the US.

Oahu has less than 5,000 homeless. A lower rate than places like Portland or San Francisco.

Hawaii homeowship by Hawaii residents is at an all time high in its history.

Broke people make a lot of noise but I don't buy into we live in some broke slum.

You yourself said Hawaii has one of the rates of people making minimum wage. Average housekeeper wage is over $30,000 for an unskilled position and no high school diploma needed.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:

I know you said you can't offer stats. I did. I can repeat all the links if you wish.

7% of all households who claim Hawaii residence (1 in 15) have assets excluding the primary residence and retirement funds above $1,000,000.

11% of households are multigenerational-mostly immigrant families. According to US Census.

$70,000 is about the median income of a full-time worker on Oahu according to HUD.

Broke people make a lot of noise but I don't buy into we live in some broke slum.

You yourself said Hawaii has one of the rates of people making minimum wage. Average housekeeper wage is over $30,000 for an unskilled position and no high school diploma needed.
Come on bruddah level wit us you work for the Hawaii Tourism Authority right whtviper?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Oahu has less than 5,000 homeless. A lower rate than places like Portland or San Francisco.

I won't argue any of it. Was that a back-handed compliment I see? /lol

I will point out before I head out the door, a lot of the poor will not respond to census data, they are adamantly against it. If I needed more data, working data, I'd call up my GF who is a Policy Analyst for the government and she specializes in homelessness and medical. While her and I disagree on some stuff, she is one smart chick.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:42 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:

I will point out before I head out the door, a lot of the poor will not respond to census data, they are adamantly against it.
This.

That's when living here your entire life among all classes and all age groups, like I have myself, gives more credibility than malahini touting govt statistics.

When someone says every other working person on the island is making AT LEAST $70K/annually, you know they haven't been here that long or haven't spent time with lower and middle class folks.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
This.

That's when living here your entire life among all classes and all age groups, like I have myself, gives more credibility than malahini touting govt statistics.

When someone says every other working person on the island is making AT LEAST $70K/annually, you know they haven't been here that long or haven't spent time with lower and middle class folks.
+1 exactly. Does anyone know if the rep system is broken? It wont let me rep like a ton of people here on cdf hawaii.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:

I will point out before I head out the door, a lot of the poor will not respond to census data, they are adamantly against it. If I needed more data, working data, I'd call up my GF who is a Policy Analyst for the government and she specializes in homelessness and medical.
Great, lets see her data - all the official government reports I see online show homelessness below 5,000 on Oahu. I'll take real data anytime over "gut feel" from a single individual. Quite frankly, I find the median income for a full-time worker at $70,000 to be on the low end.

You claim the poor don't want to answer census data - it is just as easy to counter a wealthy person doesn't want to do the same to avoid scrutiny. At least I offer data and not some wild guess.

I find it interesting on this forum when people love census data when it benefits their view - but dismiss it out of hand when it doesn't benefit their position

Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Great, lets see her data - all the official government reports I see online show homelessness below 5,000 on Oahu. I'll take real data anytime over "gut feel" from a single individual. Quite frankly, I find the median income for a full-time worker at $70,000 to be on the low end.

You claim the poor don't want to answer census data - it is just as easy to counter a wealthy person doesn't want to do the same to avoid scrutiny. At least I offer data and not some wild guess.

I find it interesting on this forum when people love census data when it benefits their view - but dismiss it out of hand when it doesn't benefit their position

I'm merely pointing out a factor that affects the data. Reports are only as good as the data they contain. It's a consideration that government agencies and non-profits take into account, so I just wanted to put it out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu