Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:07 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Look at the houses in older neighborhoods. They are designed for the climate of Hawaii and look very different from mainland houses.

Yes, single walled, jalousied windows are sooooo comfortable to live in. Damned that double walled, insulated, climate controlled houses.

Away with them!!!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM

430 posts, read 640,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, single walled, jalousied windows are sooooo comfortable to live in. Damned that double walled, insulated, climate controlled houses.

Away with them!!!!!!
The problem is not that the houses are double walled, insulated, and climate controlled. It's that they have sliding windows and short overhangs that provide no shade.

And then often those houses don't HAVE climate control, or they do but it's not used because of the cost of electricity (3x the mainland).

They should have tilting windows to give the same open area as louvres, light colored roofs, and big overhangs.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 36,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
One topic HBH.

Californians moving to Hawaii?

Specifically, why do S. Californians move to Hawaii per post 1.

Nor do we have an IKEA or Trader Joes by the way.
Who is HBH? Can I suggest you read the thread before commenting? You will notice Mikala43 responding to a post from pj737 asking to bring Trader Joe's and Ikea here. Of course we don't have either here on Oahu. But I guess life would be great and full of aloha if we got both was basically what I was originally saying. You know there is something wrong when your on a tropical island with gorgeous weather, gorgeous gals and the defining moment of happiness and contentment is the waiting for the next big box store to move into the area! Wisdom in the words "be happy you live Hawai'i" because what we take for granted everyday here may be gone when one wakes up. I don't know u but Aloha to you anyway whtviper1.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahulife View Post
Who is HBH? Can I suggest you read the thread before commenting? You will notice Mikala43 responding to a post from pj737 asking to bring Trader Joe's and Ikea here. Of course we don't have either here on Oahu. But I guess life would be great and full of aloha if we got both was basically what I was originally saying. You know there is something wrong when your on a tropical island with gorgeous weather, gorgeous gals and the defining moment of happiness and contentment is the waiting for the next big box store to move into the area! Wisdom in the words "be happy you live Hawai'i" because what we take for granted everyday here may be gone when one wakes up. I don't know u but Aloha to you anyway whtviper1.
Oahu does lack good grocery stores though. From Pearl City it's a 20 minute drive to a good grocery. Foodland is garbage. Times is garbage. And the furniture stores are overpriced.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The problem is not that the houses are double walled, insulated, and climate controlled. It's that they have sliding windows and short overhangs that provide no shade.

And then often those houses don't HAVE climate control, or they do but it's not used because of the cost of electricity (3x the mainland).

They should have tilting windows to give the same open area as louvres, light colored roofs, and big overhangs.
I get what your saying. It's as simple as this. There is the Hawai'i way of doing things and the mainland way. Sometimes people have to get past looking at things in a convenience or profit first mindset because somethings about our home is not based on these ideals or logic. I just wanted to share with you that I understood what your saying.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Oahu does lack good grocery stores though. From Pearl City it's a 20 minute drive to a good grocery. Foodland is garbage. Times is garbage. And the furniture stores are overpriced.
Yeah it must be a drag driving from Pearl City to Aiea to shop at Safeway for some good groceries? In my opinion everything is overpriced not just furniture stores lol.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahulife View Post
Yeah it must be a drag driving from Pearl City to Aiea to shop at Safeway for some good groceries? In my opinion everything is overpriced not just furniture stores lol.
That's not the good store, the selection is pretty bad. The nice Safeway is the one in Mililani

Old 02-03-2016, 12:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
That's not the good store, the selection is pretty bad. The nice Safeway is the one in Mililani
Or try the one at Beretania and Piikoi in town.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah but it still beats Wal-Mart, times and foodlands grocery in Pearl City lol. We should pm each other. Don't want to be rude guest on this thread. Sorry OP and mod.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:

I had one of those houses, lots of overhang, single walled, joulisies replaced by the security windows that are like 3 big joulasies (keep spelling it different...), and it was miserably hot.

Now I have double walls, solar, PV and central air. I'm good. Sliding windows have greater air flow.... so I don't get this.

Where do you live?

And what does this all have to do with Californians moving here and bringing there big old bad Californian homes. And what does that mean?!!!! Northern A frame? San Diego style? Bel Air? (hahah)

It is such a weird tangent, all for overhangs and sliding windows.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: