Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 PM

145 posts, read 155,298 times

Advertisements

Quick question: we are considering a move to Hickam Air Force Base (likely living on the base). How long is the commute from there to Honolulu during rush hour? Google claims less than 20 minutes but I highly doubt that it is accurate with traffic.

Also has anyone tried this as a bicycle commute? Pros and cons of cycling along this route?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilly31415 View Post
Quick question: we are considering a move to Hickam Air Force Base (likely living on the base). How long is the commute from there to Honolulu during rush hour? Google claims less than 20 minutes but I highly doubt that it is accurate with traffic.

Also has anyone tried this as a bicycle commute? Pros and cons of cycling along this route?
Where in Honolulu? Downtown? Waikiki? UH? Hawaii Kai?

Lets assume downtown - it will be highly variable depending on when you leave/accidents/UH in or out of session. 20 to 30 minutes seems reasonable to me. You have 3 major options to get downtown from the airport - you'll want to use Waze or something to monitor which route.

Pros of biking - lets assume downtown. I guess if you like to bike and it is low cost. It'll probably take at least 45 minutes.

Cons - your sanity. There isn't really decent room for a bike on Nimitz or Dillingham or King Street. Rain - it might be sunny where you are at - it might be pouring rain 15 minutes into your ride (likewise, it might be nice in the morning - and pouring in the late afternoon/early evening). You'll need to find a place for your bike which is few and far between downtown - you'll arrive a sweaty mess - so, you'll need to shower somewhere.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:18 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
You'll take your bike up to your office with you, assuming they're cool with that. People in the elevator might not be happy about it every morning.

If you leave it on the street, you better lock up anything removable, otherwise you might come back after work to find your bike sitting on blocks (figuratively). Best case scenario, you'll have to ride home without a seat.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:59 PM

ok, one more...another possible commute could be Hickam/Camp Smith area to University of Hawaii-Manoa (HSFL) . Too long (in traffic)? Maybe live someplace in between?

Last edited by tigerlilly31415; 06-24-2017 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 07:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Add up to another 30 minutes - really depends on time of day and accidents

Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
ok, one more...another possible commute could be Hickam/Camp Smith area to University of Hawaii-Manoa (HSFL) . Too long (in traffic)? Maybe live someplace in between?
there's google maps for time estimates. that's doubling the distance. And again, your bike will likely be on blocks unless you run a chain through anything that may be stripped off of it. Its sad that things are the way they are on oahu, but that is the truth.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks, much appreciated.

I'm aware of google maps, but it doesn't give good traffic estimates--it claimed a suspiciously short commute time, so I figured I'd ask someone who lived nearby for a more accurate guess!

Old 06-25-2017, 01:01 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
You'll take your bike up to your office with you, assuming they're cool with that. People in the elevator might not be happy about it every morning.

If you leave it on the street, you better lock up anything removable, otherwise you might come back after work to find your bike sitting on blocks (figuratively). Best case scenario, you'll have to ride home without a seat.
The rule is: All bikes weigh 50 pounds.

If you have a 20-pound bike, you need a 30-pound lock.

If you have a 30-pound bike, you need a 20-pound lock.

If you have a 50-pound bike, you don't need a lock.

All bikes weigh 50 pounds.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:02 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
That's too long for a bike commute for sure.

I'd count on 30-45 minutes for a car commute to either location from Hickam.

Bike commuting in that area was reasonable for me only because my timing put me a bit ahead of the rush hour peak and my job had a locker room where I could keep a weeks worth of clothing (brought in on Sunday) and freshen up with an alcohol sponge bath.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:52 PM

unless you're ironman/tinman training daily (and I do know of people like that), commuting by bike in general doesn't make sense unless you're commuting within the urban core, and your riding speed can is equal or faster than rush hour traffic. I know someone that rides a bike from hawaii kai to downtown every day, but his focus is more on training/fitness than it is on commuting. For instance, riding from makiki to downtown or nuuanu to downtown or ward to moiliili or moiliili to waikiki would be decent commutes.

Also, commuting from Hickam - depends on where you are in hickam, but even riding to the gates of hickam will take a while as-is. Hickam is a large base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: