Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM

35 posts, read 87,040 times

Advertisements

hah i dont think you ranting or bitched at all i was looking for opinions and insight and thats what i got so thank you. i finally got my official acceptance letter yesterday so now its between uhm and georgia tech. ive really been studying the curriculum to get the best idea i can of what the program is like. my political values are a real democracy, unfortunately something we havent had in a looong time, i guess you could call me an in between guy im not an exteremist or anything of the such. but i do get the point that to a certain extent values are going to differ. the only concern i have left practicing on the east coast from a program which is moderately concentrated on pacific elements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,741 times
Congrats on getting accepted. Good luck with your decision. Grad school is awesome! (Being a prof, well...)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,078 times
newUHprof -- When I read that article I was really disappointed :/ do you think if I could find UHM Communication Sciences & Disorders grad students (like on facebook), they'd have more info on the department's crisis? I'd hate to email faculty about this. The thing is, I really want to concentrate on speech/language disorders focused on the Asian population so I'd hate to sit in some MidWest state where there is zero multiculturalism. It doesn't seem like the department is getting any healthier though, but I have a year to wait and see what happens.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:03 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleA View Post
newUHprof -- When I read that article I was really disappointed :/ do you think if I could find UHM Communication Sciences & Disorders grad students (like on facebook), they'd have more info on the department's crisis? I'd hate to email faculty about this. The thing is, I really want to concentrate on speech/language disorders focused on the Asian population so I'd hate to sit in some MidWest state where there is zero multiculturalism. It doesn't seem like the department is getting any healthier though, but I have a year to wait and see what happens.
It's strange that they (Architecture, too) don't list grad students anywhere on their web page. Most science departments have a link to grad student pages (or at least to those who TA). The best way to find some of the grad students would probably be to email someone (go to this page UH Speech Pathology and Audiology - Faculty & Staff Profile (http://www.hawaii.edu/spauh/faculty.htm - broken link) and either email the "student recruitment" person or the chair). Tell them that you're a prospective student, and ask if they can provide you with email addresses of a couple of current students who would be willing to answer some questions. It's a pretty reasonable request, but then you avoid asking them anything about the funding situation.

But just to be really clear: the grad students aren't going to know what's going on, really. For example, the whole university is doing a "prioritization" where each department basically has to justify its existence and each of its programs in writing. Then deans and the chancellor and some board read all of this and make recommendations: increased emphasis (and money), remain the same, or decreased emphasis (and money). It may even mean cutting programs. Grad students probably don't even know that this is going on, much less what the outcome is likely to be for their department. But a program with cut DoE funding and recent loss of accreditation (though it has since be reinstated) may be on the chopping block... or it may be something UH sees as valuable and puts in money to try and rescue it. Grad students won't know which it is, so you may not get the whole story.

One option would be: apply to the program. If you get accepted, contact the chair of the grad program, and express your concerns, ask about what's going on and what they can guarantee you. It's a bit weird to ask the questions up front of faculty, but perfectly reasonable after you've been accepted to the program and they are trying to convince you to come.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
I have been reading this with some interest. Possibly I may be able to add some clarification. Regarding the use of technology. The School of Architecture at U.H. has a number of large plotters (4), large feed scanners (2), laser cutters (one 12x24 and one 24x36), an ABS 3-D Printer, and a 4'x8' CNC machine. Much of the equipment is new and use of of the 3-D printer and CNC machine is minimal. Yes, there is a cost for materials. The ABS is charged at cost, as are plots, etc.

Regarding comments about a metal stud being a "metal stud" everywhere. Yes, materials are materials, but availability, weatherability, construction methods, shipping cost, labor costs, and responding to the local site conditions is what makes architecture different than "construction". Hawaii is a very intersting place to learn about architecture. The land and seascapes are invaluable resources which have not necessarily been preserved well when humans have interacted with them. Therefore, the SoA in Hawaii is meant to focus very much on the natural landscape and know how to design WITH it. This understanding may also be found in schools of architecture in such places as Montana, New Mexico and other universities where the natural environment is so precious. Additionally, there is a host culture which is important to the islands. Understanding indigineous cultures are important throughout the world. Additionally, the mix of cultures which now live in Hawaii certainly reflects much of our current "global condition". The School has adopted an Asia and Pacific focus for many reasons. Philosophically and theoretically, there are some major differences between "traditional" eastern and western philosophies. Within the built envirnoment, this is often manifested through one's understanding of how nature relates to what is built. Historically, western thought has often been "constructed" and "dominant" of nature. Symmetry, boulevards, and bulldozers have historically demonstrated that belief. In contrast,non-western (including Native American and others) have demonstrated a commitment to work "with" nature...thus reflecting a commitment to sustainability. Because of globalization, however, one can now find irresponsible building throughout the world. However, I do believe the School of Architecture at the University of Hawaii is likely to be the only accredited school in the United States fully committed to teach predominently non-western traditions. If there are others, I would like to know who they might be.

Regarding graduate students. Since we have a Professional School, our students are not ever "offically" graduate students. Though graduate fees are charged by the University when they surpass senior status, they remain in the Professional School (like Law and Medicine). Therefore, I dot believe (but I could be wrong) do not find a strong separation between the "undergraduate" and "graduate" level student in knowing about the School of Architecture. I do agree that you should ask questions. You seem not be afraid to do it in this forum and I would expect the level of inquiry would be valued in direct discussions.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 AM

246 posts, read 650,654 times
With complete respect Mr. Dean, please do not pimp the program. The metal stud quote unquote was a cheap shot brotha.....you don't need help to get on the soapbox, it isn't that high.

I wanted to let the potential student to understand that while the SoA @ UHM has an Asian influence, largely due to geographic proximity, that his education here won't be a negative impact to his future career in the mainland. Duh!!?!?!

I mean, I'm just a grunt in the back office, no need to crush my soul to make emrollment quota.....this is why forums are made, for objective perspectives....................

Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 PM

well thanks archdean for clearing up the information about machines and other tools for use. after reviewing the curriculum on the website i noticed there are only a few classes which concentrate on digital fabrication or other means of digital imaging. i have never had a chance to experiment a lot with the 3d printer but i know the output is great; as for the laser cutters i have used them all throughout undergrad and they are amazing. i understand how studying at hawai'i would have a special relationship with the landscape; it truly is amazing how those forms come to be. unfortunately i would have to say the school really didnt do a great job at getting back to me or answering most of my questions; but i really appreciate everyones help on the forum hopefully this could give future students valuable information on the program. i think my final decision will end up being georgia tech and it kinda breaks my heart in a way because i know it would be a great place to study architecture. if i wouldve found a job i probably would be on my way down asap. oh well theres always a chance to get a masters in engineering too ha. ill save the sunshine for the good guys and gals

Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 PM

out of curiosity archdean, what is your affiliation with the university? if you are in fact the dean then im really sorry for such a stupid question but i would like to talk to you further about this. i was hoping to get some information on current students who are in their third to last year or even closer to graduating. it would be nice to talk to a student who has graduate UHM with a D.Arch and is practicing on the mainland, preferrably near the east coast. as far as the 3d printer and cnc machine are concerned, why are they not used as much? is it because there is a limit of classes that actually teach how to use the technology or is it simply for the fact that the machines are new? or maybe because NURBS modeling is not really taught that much. the pdf on UHM's website lists what 3d modeling and architectural programs are used but how much are they really used? is 3d modeling in 3ds Max, Maya, Rhino, etc. used extensively? i ask this because for the doctorate project requirements i would want to find a way to focus it along the realm of 3d modeling, visualization, and digital fabrication. sorry for all the questions but seeing how many people have viewed it so far, maybe it can be a tool for more future students. as much as i want to say i have my mind set on gatech i cant say it with honesty. im just hoping someone can answering these questions for me before i really need to have a final decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu