Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 AM

287 posts, read 503,393 times

Advertisements

I will give you a little background. I am in my 40s, and single. I currently livein Colorado, and want to relocate for purposes of more affordable housing, and more greenery, trees and rivers. I like mid-sized cities. I am researching Dayton, Toledo, and Akron. If you could provide me witha thumbnail sketch of these towns, it would help a lot. I drive a truckin Colorado, and I suppose I will try and do the same in Ohio. I work fora Fed-Ex type company. I want to be in the cornbelt (flat to gently rolling hills), yet have lotsof deciduous trees around me. Thanks for your help.One last thing, my earning potential is about 30K a year so I want a town that has newer housing, but priced low. (125K, for example). .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM

23 posts, read 109,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
I will give you a little background. I am in my 40s, and single. I currently livein Colorado, and want to relocate for purposes of more affordable housing, and more greenery, trees and rivers. I like mid-sized cities. I am researching Dayton, Toledo, and Akron. If you could provide me witha thumbnail sketch of these towns, it would help a lot. I drive a truckin Colorado, and I suppose I will try and do the same in Ohio. I work fora Fed-Ex type company. I want to be in the cornbelt (flat to gently rolling hills), yet have lotsof deciduous trees around me. Thanks for your help.One last thing, my earning potential is about 30K a year so I want a town that has newer housing, but priced low. (125K, for example). .
Honestly, if you have a set job, Toledo fits your corn-belt description the best. Although Dayton and Akron both work well.

Toledo seems to be dying a slow death, but those who are here seem to enjoy it. I get tired of the local people not supporting the local restaurants, and instead going to applebee's or other national chains, when they're the same people who always talk about supporting union labor.

Akron has a lot going on. That's about all I know. A nice university too.

Dayton has a lot of new, great shopping and restaurants coming up. Problem here is that you go South towards Cincy and around Middleton it turns into steep hills. There is corn towards there, but not nearly as much as Northwest or Central Ohio. Northwest ohio especially.

Findlay, Lima, or Delaware ohio fit your needs well. Especially Findlay and Delaware.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks, I am looking for a city that is growing, and has new construction projects happening. I really like the vibrant feeling of living in a growing, happening city.I think Lima and Findlay are too small for my tastes. I need to learn as much as I can about Dayton and Akron, the differences between them, the essence about them. Are both cities industrial? I assume, yes. Do both cities have prideful citizens?Do both cities have beautiful areas? Does one city have an advantage over theother in terms of job growth, housing, recreation? Thanks!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 40,121 times
well I lived most of my life in Dayton and went to grad school in Toledo and I actually like both places. In terms of job growth Dayton is in a better position because of Wright Patterson Air Force Base ( the largest air force base is a consistent supplier of jobs). Dayton and Toledo are lower COL than akron and I think Toledo has a slightly lower COL than Dayton. I don't think either city can be classified as happening cities however Dayton has much more new developments in recreation and housing than Toledo. Dayton area is more sprawled out if you live in the northern suburbs in will take you almost an hour to get to the southern suburbs ( I had the pleasure to make that trip everyday for HS lived on the northern side and went to a private school on the southern side) However Toledo has a much better downtown ( some great bars, and the docks). I am not at all familar with akron, so I won't speak on that. I think between the two I would pick Dayton b/c of the new things going on there plus the proximity to "happening cities ( Cincy and Columbus). The places to check out in Dayton are Beavercreek, Kettering, Centerville, Miamisburg, Huber Heights, and Clayton. In Toledo, Maumee, an area call Old Orchard,Ottwa Hills, Perrysburg, Sylvania, and there are some nice apts downtown if you are into downtown living. Have you looked into Columbus? that might be a better fit for you.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:55 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times
Akron has a lot going on as far as projects downtown, University of Akron has a modern campus downtown. Akron has a pretty low unemployment rate, offers good shopping, food, and good entertainment. Also, you are close to the Cleveland Metro Park system which extends into the northern Akron Metro area, for instance, suburbs like Cuyahoga Falls where the Cuyahoga River runs right through the middle of town with waterfalls against the out-door decks of some of the restaurants. Cleveland is not a far drive, so if you want an even bigger city scene Cleveland is at your doorstep, and the beaches of Lake Erie are close by too.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 PM

I guess the use of the "happening" might be misleading. I don't care much about bars and nightlife. Just like to be in a place that's building new things, and expanding. I plan on buying a motorcycle when I move to OHIO, and want to explore the countryside. I personally think OHIO has some of the prettiest countryside in the country.Someone mentioned that Dayton has less snow than Akron, and is generally warmer in the winter. I think it would be cool to be near Cincinnati or Indianapolis, but can'tthink of any good reason to go to either place. I am fairly content in a midsized city.I have lived in Aurora, CO for 5 years, and have never had the desire to go into Denver. Really it's ALL about the countryside, the job growth, theinfrastructre, the new construction of a place that I'm most interested in. I want a place that's building new houses. I want a place where old neighborhoods are beinggentrified. Please continue to offer your suggestions, I am very interested in learning all I can. I grew up in Northern Illinois so I am a midwesterner at heart. I miss rivers most of all, and of course cornfields, and trees. Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times
Southern Ohio sounds like the place for you then. Outside of Dayton are some really nice suburbs, and just about an hour or twos drive to the east you will come upon Hocking Hills State Park. This place is amazing.

Overall, if I were you, go with Southern Ohio.

Official Friends of Hocking Hills State Park Travel Guide

Pictures:

http://www.1800hocking.com/pub/photo..._Falls_OMC.jpg

http://madisoncabin.com/old-mans-cave.jpg (broken link)

http://www.michaelkapper.com/i/cedarfalls.jpg

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterf...cavefalls4.jpg

Old 04-13-2008, 03:24 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
Dayton will always sit near and dear to my heart since its where I grew up. Specifically Beavercreek, which continues to grow. If you want to be near the countryside and live in a reasonablly priced town near Dayton, I'd recommend Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Centerville, Kettering, or Miamisburg. There are also some good northern suburbs that are growing in Huber Heights, Tipp City, Vandalia, and Clayton. As an earlier poster said, Dayton is much more sprawled out then say Toledo. I don't know much about Akron other then what you probably already know. The few times I've been in Toledo it seems smaller and older then Dayton but areas like Perrysburg and Maumee are seeing some new construction.

Again, Dayton would probably better in the job department because of the air force base. There are some distribution centers around the area for Elder-Beerman, GM, and some base work.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM

30 posts, read 136,428 times
Dayton: you'd be on I-75 basically, a huge trucking route, with I-70 also nearby. It's growing (to meet Cincinnati), and will offer more seasonal weather for the bike. I might also recommend Wilmington as there are a few distros along I-71 there, not to mention DHL's airline.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM

422 posts, read 758,808 times
Toledo might be your best bet, especially since Fed Ex and UPS have major operations there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio