Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,160 times

Advertisements

That title should move this right to the top of a Google search.

The Lordstown GM plant will be adding 1400 new jobs. Many of those positions will be filled by transfers from other plants. We are already seeing more inquiries about housing on this website.

Everybody has different wants and needs. We can hook you up with anything from inner-city slums, to hundreds of acres farm land, and everything in between. We have it all within 30 minutes of Lordstown.

I'm going to ask Cortlandgirl to help me make up a little questionaire for interested parties to fill out. That will help us help you find the house of your dreams. Neither one of us are real estate agents. We are doing this for fun, and are trying to make your move as easy as possible.

Some of the things we need to know are kids ages. Do you prefer City, suburbs, or rural? Price range, size, acreage, commute time, things that are important to you that would make a difference. Those are just a few that I can think of for now. Let's also try to keep this thread for GM transfers only. I want to use it as a central location for traveling.

GM people, this thread is for you........

Lordstown sits on the Mahoning, and Trumbull County border between Route 45, and Bailey Rd. Both counties are as flat as a fritter. Our roads are laid out in a big tic-tac-toe grid. The main roads are 422, 224, 18, 45, 46, 7, and 534. (They all have names too, but I won't confuse you with them.) Our townships are 6 miles wide, and 5 miles North to South. The town centers are located at the intersections of the above named highways.

The rural areas take two townships to make one school district. The congested areas take one township. Examples of congested would be Austintown, Boardman, Canfield, and Poland. Two of those are very good schools. The other two, not so good.

We have lakes for fishing, boating, and camping. There is plenty of hunting land available too. We are 70 miles from Pittsburgh and Cleveland. If you like sports, you can love or hate either team, and you will have friends here on both sides.
We are less than 2 hours from Lake Erie. Our two counties also put on some of the best fairs and festivals in the Country.

We have a lot of things that really suck here too, but if you are transferring it's too late for that. You might as well make the best of it. Welcome to Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Thank you SouthRange for starting this thread! I've been thinking about doing this for several weeks now, but i've just been very busy with work and school at the moment.

As SR mentioned, we are both here for fun and we enjoy trying to answer all of your questions. Like SR said, there are some things that suck about the Mahoning Valley, but i think the good out weighs the bad.

There are plenty of entertainment options w/in an hour's drive and if you can't find it in Youngstown/Akron/Cleveland/Pittsburgh, we are smack dab in the middle of NYC and Chicago.

I think you'll also find that we have great highway access here (80, 76, 11, 82, and so on) and little to no congestion in most areas.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 31,205 times
Just want to thank you for all the help you are offering for all of us coming from other areas! It's so confusing and it's nice to count on people like yourselves! We're wondering if there are any families out there moving with any kids of high school age. Our son is going to be a junior and is having a really hard time with this. He loves his friends and school and is devestated to leave?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,160 times
I'm going to bump this to the top with one of my newest metaphors.

The City of Youngstown is a sewage treatment plant. Austintown, and Boardman are the parking lots where sewage trucks wait to be processed. The rest of the surrounding areas are the lush, green fields of flowers that always spring up around the sewage treatment plant.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 AM

Here's an interesting article offering tax incentives to GM employees:

Quote:
The Cafaro Co. and three local governments are teaming up to encourage new General Motors employees to move to Trumbull County and its two largest cities.

Warren and Niles will be offering a $500 income tax credit to workers who buy homes in the cities. Trumbull County and the Cafaro Co. also will be offering $500 incentives.
Cities to offer $500 tax break to incoming GM workers - Trib Today

Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 AM

Here's an article discussing plans to give $500 to GM transfers that settle in Trumbull County.
Conference details deals for GM shift - Vindy.com News - Local & Regional News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio

Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 AM

Here are some more details: Officials say incentives good for everyone, not just GM workers - Trib Today

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
I haven't been following this thread, but I just wanted to share Shout Youngstown's recent blog article. It's a response to the cash incentives recently being made available to those moving to certain parts of the area:
i will shout youngstown: youngstown homes and long-term value: double the house for half the price

Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks JR_C for that post. I've always loved those older homes and i admire the people that have moved back to the area and bought those gems.

I should mention to anyone moving to the area that some areas of Youngstown and Warren are certainly fine to live in. In Youngstown i wouldn't send my kids to the public schools, but the money you may save by moving there would make it affordable to send your kids to a private school.

As for Warren, most of the Eastside is still very nice and still very well taken care of. The Westside is a different story, but it still has some very nice neighborhoods. I myself live in NE Warren and it's a great area. Lots of charming old homes, the Trumbull Country Club, our two hospitals and beautiful tree-lined streets. The Warren schools do have a bad rep w/the thousands of suburbanites in the area, but i think a small percentage of bad is making the whole school system look bad.

I have friends that live on the Eastside and they send their kids to the new K-8 school on Atlantic St. The kids love it and the only complaint I've heard from my friends is the lack of parental involvement, due to both parents working or single parent homes.

Besides a new K-8 on the NE side, Warren's new high school will be opening this fall (from what I've heard it's amazing!) and two more K-8's are being built.

My last comment on the Warren schools is this, if your kid is smart and wants to get college credit while still in high school, send them to Warren Harding, they offer way more academically than do the suburban schools. Harding also has a pool and a highly competitive athletic program. In fact, over the years their football team has been very competitive, playing all the big schools in Ohio (Cleveland St. Ignatius, St. Ed's, Cinci Elder, Colerain, Canton McKinley, Massillon Washington, Austintown, Boardman, etc.) You may also recognize some of the names that have worn a Warren uniform, Paul Warfield, Korey Stringer, Ross and Joey Browner, Prescott Burgess, Mario Manningham, and Maurice Clarrett (don't hold it against us, he's from Youngstown, ha!).

Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Here is the website for the Warren City Schools, w/info on cirriculum and amenities Warren City Schools - Schools - Warren G. Harding High (http://www.warrenschools.k12.oh.us/schools/harding.html - broken link)

Quote:
A new and improved $44 million high school is opening in 2008! Students and staff can expect some positive changes in the school environment, as well as in classroom structure and curriculum. The school will house approximately 1,700 students in grades 9-12 and offer a broad range of curriculum choices including robotics, digital photography, language arts, music, art and an expanded range of courses in math, science, social studies, foreign languages including Chinese, Advance Placement classes and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program.
Other features: Separate underclass and upperclass campuses; large, state-of-the-art classrooms and instructional labs; computer labs with advanced technology; new natatorium; full-service cafeteria; media center; and Mollenkopf Athletic Complex. Although students will be separated to a certain degree, they will share common areas such as the cafetorium, media center, auditorium, art, music foreign language and consumer science rooms and athletic areas.
I know most of the other schools in the area don't even offer a fraction of what the new Harding will.

Here are new construction photos New High School Photo Archive Menu []

Last edited by CortlandGirl79; 07-14-2008 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio