Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 AM

37 posts, read 143,756 times

Advertisements

Yes, Medina, Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga Falls, Ashland, Mentor, Solon are nice residential communities but be warned...this area is in a SNOW BELT. It is downwind of lake-effect snow and has been known to get two feet dumped on it. You're going to need a snowblower to clear your driveway.

Southwest of Cleveland is Norwalk. I always thought is was a nice little city. But in June it flooded pretty bad when the Huron River overflowed its banks during heavy rains. Good luck to you and your family and may the Good Lord bless and keep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 02:08 PM

976 posts, read 3,863,598 times
Cuyahoga Falls is an amazing suburb of Akron, and not a far drive from Cleveland. Its right next to the Cuyahoga Nat'l Park. They have waterfalls that run right through the downtown.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM

81 posts, read 398,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Yes, Medina is a great town. Its one of my favorite out there. Not far from Cleveland or Akron metros either.
How many mins away is Medina from Cleveland?
When was the last time a tornado hit Medina?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 PM

35 posts, read 195,697 times
Smile Orrville is a great place to raise kids

Greetings everyone!

I know you're out there. Former Orrvillians who have left and now you want out the rat race. You think back to the good, simpler times you experienced here in Amish country. You miss the small hometown feel, the fall leaves, the farms, the countryside and the clip clop of Amish buggies. Well, come on back home to Orrville.

We are in the midst of a revitalization. Orrville is one of a handful of towns across Ohio that are part of the Ohio Main Street program. We have received grants to revitalize our downtown and improvements are evident everywhere. Our downtown is becoming quite quaint these days. If you are looking to open up a little store, come on back and open one downtown. We have plenty of industry and our own electric company too!

Contrary to some statistics you might come across, Orrville is virtually crime free. It is a very safe town. I am prone to take walks in the middle of the night and have never been accosted in any way. I don't know where they got their statistics from because I'm sure if any serious crime happened it would be the talk of the town. There are no such thing as home invasions here, no carjackings and no murder. I feel completely safe here in Orrville.

We have a beautiful park with a creek running through it that holds concerts in the summer and abound with ballfields. We have great schools, in fact they just built a new school. There is a boys and girls club that caters the youth. Your kids can even go there while they wait for you to get off work. This is a wonderful place to raise children.

You are just 20 minutes away from all the shopping in Wooster and close to Canton, Cleveland and Akron. Orrville is not a mecca for shopping but they like to keep it that way. I can sit on my front porch and watch Amish buggies clipclopping down the street. They come in to go to our grocery stores. A very short drive takes you right into the heart of Amish country and its breathtakingly beautiful.

Nearby Kidron is a mecca for the Amish and there you have Lehmans, the largest old fashioned hardware store in the world. They have been selling hard to get non electric items since the 50s. They started out catering to the Amish's needs. Refer to Lehmans.com to see what I'm talking about.

Kidron also has weekly livestock auctions and an outdoor flea market where Amish and "Englishers" mingle. All around the area you can get locally made Swiss cheese and bulk food stores abound. One of the simplest pleasures around here is to take a country drive and get lost in Amish country. Marvel at the beauty of the well kept farms, see beautiful draft horses and dairy cows in the pasture. You'll see the Amish working teams of horses in the field. Okay now your turn fellow Orrville residents, help me explain why living in here is so great!

PS. See my other posts for great pictures of the Wayne County area

Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,908,227 times
What about Chardon?

City of Chardon, Ohio

Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 PM

25 posts, read 70,258 times
N.E. Ohio is quite a large area, sort of like the piedmonts and foot hills of NC put together. If you are flexable just about any smaller city is great there are issues with some of the mid sioze place like Canton as mentioned this thread and Youngstown and to alesser extent just about anywhere within 20 miles of Cleveland There is much diversity between communities much like between Winston , Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte Good luck! I did the move from O to NC a couple years ago and love it here
OBTW if you don't like snow stay away from the three counties just to the East of Cleveland They are in the "snow belt" and average 60 to 95 inches of white stuff per year

Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM

12 posts, read 43,046 times
Hubbard Ohio is the place to be. Low crime. Downtown has been revitalized. The school system is great. Lots of young families moving there because of the school system and because they are building new schools. Cost of living is low. People are great. Some of my rentals are there and that is an area I think has a lot of future promise.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,885 times
not to mention median just built a new library!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 AM

59 posts, read 228,628 times
We lived in West Akron but our kids played some sports in Medina, so we were there several times a week for years. It is a nice community, but I have to say you are are barely mentioning the worst and most frustrating thing about Medina: TRAFFIC. You have to find all the back streets and back routes to get from one end of town to the other, and even those are getting congested. Medina built up without any regard to traffic planning. Seriously, that is a very big issue there and a DAILY hassle for the folks who live there. Downtown is almost impassable, and then trains come right through downtown which just exacerbates what is already a disaster. It's a very difficult situation and probably getting worse as they just keep building Medina out with new quickly built subdivisions.

Wooster is amazing, I have to agree - very picturesque and no bad areas. And that high school - WOW. That is maybe the biggest, nicest high school I have ever seen. Wooster is beautiful and kind of like a college town (College of Wooster is there, a small LAC). You're probably right in between Columbus and Cleveland and about 20 minutes or so off I-77. Not bad. Weather is probably better too, because it's out of the snow belt.

But read my posts on Akron and all it has to offer. For one smaller city it has almost everything.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:21 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,908,227 times
What about Columbiana, Ohio?

It is a quaint, growing little community. With great schools and low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio