Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM

7 posts, read 23,814 times

Advertisements

Moving (from Springfield, MO) with the significant other so she can go to Grad school at OU. Initially, I was thinking only Moore or Norman would really be safe, but based on posts on these forums, it also appears that there are a number of pockets around OKC also regarded as quite safe which might increase affordability--safety is of utmost importance and followed by a reasonable commute to OU (~20 min). I believe that most if not all of her classes will be night classes, so I think this should make the commuting relatively much shorter than for other students if it follows trends of other places I've lived, and we will take this into consideration. The catch is I work for St. John's Mercy in Springfield, and would love to transfer to Mercy OKC, but it's on the NW side, so I'd also be curious what are considered good hospitals in the area or what that commute is like from the Moore area.

If we rent, apartments are probably out due to generally poor experiences (unless someone can convince me otherwise)--would prefer a duplex/townhouse/house ideally w/ a garage due to the fact that I have a weekend/summer car that I don't want left outside. Would like btw 700 and 1100 sqft (wouldn't complain about more, but it isn't necessary), and budget-wise I think we would like sub 800 which seems more than doable from what I've seen even within Norman. We have 2 sub-15 lbs dogs as well, so having pets allowed is a must. I've also considered purchasing a house up to around 75k (based off of ability to make down payment) which may alter some of the advice, but right now we are pretty open--will be headed down to look around for several days over the next couple weeks to really hone in on what we want.

Since you all know these areas better, A) are there landlords that are quality and/or others we should stay away from, B) what areas may meet some or all of the criteria listed, and C) is there any other advice have or questions that will help clarify things. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM

242 posts, read 765,321 times
There are hospitals in Moore, Norman, South OKC, and downtown. Norman Regional Hospital is in a brand new complex on I-35 sort of between Moore and Norman, and also a large location a few miles from the OU campus. Moore and Norman would both easily fit your criteria. There are also areas of far SE OKC that might work. I would think that in Norman you'd find landlords that are happy to have a settled couple rather than the typical college students, and more likely to allow pets for that situation.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
You could also consider working at the OU Med Center. It's near downtown OKC, so even if you lived in Norman, it would be an easy commute for you.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 13,548 times
Welcome to OK State.I knew , you are looking a place that is near your studying area.When I went to the VA Medical Center which near by OU hospital. It is just 20 mins drive.I live in Edmond and my house near by WalMart,WalGreem ,Homeland ,Kohl's ,many international restaurants,Gym and banks.It is on Santa Fe Ave.and Danforth Rd. or Edmond Rd. It is a safety area and convenient. The expenses is more lower then in the Oklahoma City.My house also have room available for rent. It's all furnished and access to High Speed Internet, Cable TV and Launder.Just $450/m included all utilities and every things in 1 bill.
You can access to common area in the house as your home.

My house is a single house 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I'm a single and have 1 roommate ,she is a student of UCO.

You have other choice to look in to....If you want to visit,you can post it here or e-mail me dorathysu@hotmail.com ...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunetra Latimer View Post
Welcome to OK State.I knew , you are looking a place that is near your studying area.When I went to the VA Medical Center which near by OU hospital. It is just 20 mins drive.I live in Edmond and my house near by WalMart,WalGreem ,Homeland ,Kohl's ,many international restaurants,Gym and banks.It is on Santa Fe Ave.and Danforth Rd. or Edmond Rd. It is a safety area and convenient. The expenses is more lower then in the Oklahoma City.My house also have room available for rent. It's all furnished and access to High Speed Internet, Cable TV and Launder.Just $450/m included all utilities and every things in 1 bill.
You can access to common area in the house as your home.

My house is a single house 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I'm a single and have 1 roommate ,she is a student of UCO.

You have other choice to look in to....If you want to visit,you can post it here or e-mail me dorathysu@hotmail.com ...
The OP never said he/she was a student studying at the med center. The OP works in the medical field and is looking for employment. The OP's significant other (partner/spouse, whatever) is going to grad school at OU. That would be in Norman, and no where near your house in Edmond.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 PM

7 posts, read 23,814 times
Thanks for the help thus far. So here are a few more questions. She is also thinking that she would like to continue bar-tending for extra money--right now she is bar-tending and managing a more upscale bar, but can do just fine in a high volume downtown scene as well. Might this change suggestions, or would anyone happen to know some of the top grossing bars that she might be able to get in at come this fall? I'm also curious if people do more pre-leasing or if we should focus more on looking in June/July? When I went to Mizzou we had to sign our lease in March, for the following August, but things don't seem to go that way as much around Norman/Moore/OKC. Thanks again!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 PM

7 posts, read 13,548 times
Default Sorry! Missunderstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
The OP never said he/she was a student studying at the med center. The OP works in the medical field and is looking for employment. The OP's significant other (partner/spouse, whatever) is going to grad school at OU. That would be in Norman, and no where near your house in Edmond.
Thank you for reply to explained to me. Wish for you to get the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City