Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

So some people have been blown away and killed from hoping their safe rooms would hold down from a F5 tornado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
LOL why do people do this to themselves.
What do you mean?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,586 times
Stay within the i-40. i-235, i-44 ring. The central core of the city is surprisingly very progressive. I'd recommend looking in the Gatewood/Crestwood/Cleveland/Shepherd districts for a rental property.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 PM

28 posts, read 54,009 times
Thanks Centralokcguy! Yeah, in the central core I think is best too. I see about 40 named neighborhoods within the central core, are there any to totally avoid?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
Thanks Centralokcguy! Yeah, in the central core I think is best too. I see about 40 named neighborhoods within the central core, are there any to totally avoid?
I wish you the best here and welcome you to the state.

Unfortunately, one of the main problems I have with OKC in particular is that you can live in a decent-to-nice-to-really affluent neighborhood and still be surrounded by crime-ridden hell holes. You can be in a nice area but be just a very few blocks from real ugliness or a place you do not want to be after dark.

I've never really lived in a city anywhere else (and I've lived in several all around the country) where this was a problem.

Example-- I currently rent my house, but it is in a decent neighborhood. However, talking to the neighbors I've been made aware that a few years ago a big apartment complex went in at the end of the neighborhood where it kind of terminates at a pretty major intersection.

Since that complex was built, crime has skyrocketed in the neighborhood and property values have plummeted even further than what would be reflected by the market troubles and regular fluctuations. My own car has been broken into twice in the past year I've been here sitting right in my driveway.

This kind of thing is prevalent in OKC because of poor planning, lack of any kind of foresight or consideration of how a development in one spot can impact surrounding spots.

Poor planning is also part of the reason why the city continues to spread out further and further all the time. People here seem happy to just abandon neighborhoods--just board them up or turn them into low income/Section 8 districts and empty business districts and move on to new cheap builds on the outskirts.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 AM

13 posts, read 28,081 times
We went down to the gay district the other day by accident. I was looking for a shop that I had read about on the Internet. We ended up over by the Habanna Inn. I wasn't down there 10 minutes before I saw a crowd of gay men in a verbal argument with a Church group. The fight escalated until the police were called. What was weird was how the gay men started hurling insults at the cops. Saying stuff like "you don't belong here. We have a restraining order on the City."

One man was arrested. It was a wild seen. I was just looking for a pottery shop.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judymill View Post
We went down to the gay district the other day by accident. I was looking for a shop that I had read about on the Internet. We ended up over by the Habanna Inn. I wasn't down there 10 minutes before I saw a crowd of gay men in a verbal argument with a Church group. The fight escalated until the police were called. What was weird was how the gay men started hurling insults at the cops. Saying stuff like "you don't belong here. We have a restraining order on the City."

One man was arrested. It was a wild seen. I was just looking for a pottery shop.
I'm not at all surprised church people were not treated friendly. I bet gays are sick and tired for being constantly singled out and targeted for criticism or help, while all the other sinners, like liars, adulterers, thieves, etc., get ignored. But whether gay or straight, we're all sinners. If they're so concerned about their fellow man, I wonder if those church people ever go to jails and prisons?

Old 01-01-2014, 10:36 AM

13 posts, read 28,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'm not at all surprised church people were not treated friendly. I bet gays are sick and tired for being constantly singled out and targeted for criticism or help, while all the other sinners, like liars, adulterers, thieves, etc., get ignored. But whether gay or straight, we're all sinners. If they're so concerned about their fellow man, I wonder if those church people ever go to jails and prisons?
I am not taking sides here, but in this case it appeared that the Church group was in the area on an unrelated matter and the group of gay men singled them out and attacked them unprovoked. One of the Church group women had finger nail scratches on her cheek. I think the man responsible for that was who got arrested.

I also understand this sort of thing is common in the area around 36th and Penn.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

This kind of thing is prevalent in OKC because of poor planning, lack of any kind of foresight or consideration of how a development in one spot can impact surrounding spots.

Poor planning is also part of the reason why the city continues to spread out further and further all the time. People here seem happy to just abandon neighborhoods--just board them up or turn them into low income/Section 8 districts and empty business districts and move on to new cheap builds on the outskirts.
Citizens need to rise up and protest when an apartment complex is proposed in or near their residential neighborhoods. Citizens in Stillwater have done that before, and so several proposed apartment complexes got denied. If the Oklahoma City council isn't listening to citizen objections, then they need voted out.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judymill View Post
I am not taking sides here, but in this case it appeared that the Church group was in the area on an unrelated matter and the group of gay men singled them out and attacked them unprovoked. One of the Church group women had finger nail scratches on her cheek. I think the man responsible for that was who got arrested.

I also understand this sort of thing is common in the area around 36th and Penn.
Probably homeless people and alcoholics begging for money and not taking no for an answer have been a problem in that area. Maybe the church people were trying to administer to them. If so, gay people should have ignored them or welcomed them for trying to help those other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City