Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
It makes sense that in a list of the top fifty metros that OKC would be at the bottom in actual numbers, Oklahoma City is the 46th largest metro.

I don't know about Oklahoma City, but Tulsa does have a large LBGT community center downtown, and I think there is a gay newspaper here. At least I have seen one offered in some restaurants.

Oklahomans for Equality
Not necessarily...

I do remember that Detroit wasn't much above OKC in GLBT population, though its metro area ranks 14th in general population. San Francisco was in the top 5 in GLBT numbers, but it doesn't crack the top 10 largest metro areas in overall population. I don't remember where Portland ranked, but I recall it being disproportionately high. Anyway, city size doesn't necessarily mean how large a GLBT population is. For the most part, GLBT people are more urbanized compared to other groups and that has in part to do with where they move to and where they move from. Some of that will have to do with perceived acceptance, which does make a number of GLBT people move away from Oklahoma or choose not to move here. You should've heard comments people made to me before I had to move here, and they aren't very flattering. That's how Oklahoma is perceived.

OKC does not have a community center. By publications I meant more community-oriented. The newspaper here focuses on GLBT news across the nation. Other cities will report that, but also focus on what's happening in people's backyards. Here are some examples:

DC: Washington Blade - America's Leading Gay News Source - the gay community's news source : Washington Blade – America's Leading Gay News Source
Portland: Source of LGBTQ and Gay Events, Resources, News in Portland Oregon
Atlanta: Fenuxe Magazine | Gay Atlanta | Atlanta's Gay Magazine
Phoenix: Welcome To Echo Magazine - EchoMag.com
Minneapolis: Lavender Magazine | Minnesota's GLBT Magazine – Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender News – Minneapolis / Saint Paul

The list goes on. I don't buy that "those cities are bigger" argument either. There are a surprising number of smaller cities with sizable or more "developed" GLBT populations, including Ithaca, NY and Provincetown, MA. It would take a lot of hard work and cooperation, but any town in Oklahoma could make itself more inviting to GLBT residents and visitors. I figure that if they haven't tried, they don't really care to do so. Just look to the south: Texas doesn't exactly have GLBT-friendly laws at the state level, though some of its larger cities have been able to attract and/or retain residents and visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judymill View Post
We went down to the gay district the other day by accident. I was looking for a shop that I had read about on the Internet. We ended up over by the Habanna Inn. I wasn't down there 10 minutes before I saw a crowd of gay men in a verbal argument with a Church group. The fight escalated until the police were called. What was weird was how the gay men started hurling insults at the cops. Saying stuff like "you don't belong here. We have a restraining order on the City."

One man was arrested. It was a wild seen. I was just looking for a pottery shop.
Now I understand why Pittsburgh is a gay friendly city.

Nothing like that ever happens in my city. I'm a bit shocked it happens anywhere.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Now I understand why Pittsburgh is a gay friendly city.

Nothing like that ever happens in my city. I'm a bit shocked it happens anywhere.
I would take that story with a grain of salt, because it doesn't add up. There isn't really much in that immediate area except for bars... and this person claims to have been looking for a business in a small area (one small, side street) for up to 10 minutes? And is claiming to have sat and watched this altercation for that long? Look it up on Google Maps' satellite and street views. Assuming that part of the story is true, what business would a church group have in a nightlife district that just happens to attract clientele they aren't renowned for accepting? I've actually seen Christians go out of their way to protest Pride events, and even bars.

I think that story is pretty fishy and full of plot holes, and isn't doing anything but villainizing GLBT people/victimizing Christians. If this whole story is true, then there's still one question: why would a church group be in an area they have no business being in?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I would take that story with a grain of salt, because it doesn't add up. There isn't really much in that immediate area except for bars... and this person claims to have been looking for a business in a small area (one small, side street) for up to 10 minutes? And is claiming to have sat and watched this altercation for that long? Look it up on Google Maps' satellite and street views. Assuming that part of the story is true, what business would a church group have in a nightlife district that just happens to attract clientele they aren't renowned for accepting? I've actually seen Christians go out of their way to protest Pride events, and even bars.

I think that story is pretty fishy and full of plot holes, and isn't doing anything but villainizing GLBT people/victimizing Christians. If this whole story is true, then there's still one question: why would a church group be in an area they have no business being in?
I understand that's a possibility too, but a Pittsburgher wouldn't even make up a story like that.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
Haven't thought about the Habana Inn for years. Interesting to see it listed as a gay resort on the internet. I wonder when that happened? In one website about the Habana Inn, it says OKC is a major gay capital in this part of the country. Amazing. I am behind the times probably in more ways than that.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 AM

43 posts, read 70,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Oh you aren't?

When I talk to someone new in OKC, within the first minute they ask, "you aren't from around here, are you?" Obviously I have some cues they see that I don't realize I'm doing. My point with that is that you likely do without realizing it. Take my office: I constantly hear about guys talking about their girlfriends, girls talking about their boyfriends or either talking about their spouses. Or when a coworker was getting married and others hounded me daily to contribute money to her wedding gift. Or what about when people feel the need to bring their child's fundraising efforts into work, trying to get me to buy overpriced wrapping paper or snacks? It seems to me if they wanted the child, they should bear the burden of paying for its education. Or at a former job, when I had to help out guys working in women's shoes and they would go to the back and talk about what they saw up the woman's skirt... and were quite prurient about it.

To me, that comes off as flaunting. Do you not see it that way? If someone asks about the OP's home life and he wants to answer honestly and openly, that's no different than a heterosexual doing the same.
Lets face it the bulk of people are off put by homo public displays of affection. I dont write the rules just play by them. I have no problem with gay people living around me just keep it in your pants for Christs sake.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
Lets face it the bulk of people are off put by homo public displays of affection. I dont write the rules just play by them. I have no problem with gay people living around me just keep it in your pants for Christs sake.
If you play by them it means you have an issue with it. There are plenty of heterosexuals who don't care. You didn't deny doing those things I listed, so I'm going to assume you do "flaunt your heterosexuality" while expecting gays to keep quiet. If you ever were to work with me, then I'd say to have the courtesy to not talk about your girlfriend or wife because I really don't care to hear about it, do your fair share of work and not take off if your child is sick or in trouble, stop showing pictures of your kids because I really don't care to see them and they aren't anything special, etc. That last sentence reminds me of a Lewis Black bit called Gay Banditos.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I understand that's a possibility too, but a Pittsburgher wouldn't even make up a story like that.
It's a very real possibility. You'll see a lot of Okies describe the state as "live and let live" but they're awfully interested in what others do with their lives, and you can see a number of them reveal the fine print to that slogan: come as you are, but if part of you is something we take exception to you just might have to change it or keep it hidden.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Haven't thought about the Habana Inn for years. Interesting to see it listed as a gay resort on the internet. I wonder when that happened? In one website about the Habana Inn, it says OKC is a major gay capital in this part of the country. Amazing. I am behind the times probably in more ways than that.
It happened around 1987 when the owners of the Habana Inn decided they better try going all gay to become profitable. It was getting a lot of competition from recently built new hotels in the area, and the slow economy caused from the collapse in oil prices wasn't helping things. Quite some time ago, the Gazette did a background story about it.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:17 PM

28 posts, read 54,040 times
dvxhd, you are incredible! Are you in OKC? If so, I would love it if you showed us around town sometime when we move down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City