Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times

Advertisements

Gay and in Oklahoma! Reminds me of the song from U2 "bullet the blue sky"! Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,226,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

Oklahoma has plenty of gay people, just like everywhere else.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
I think you guys will be fine as long as you are not all up in every ones face with it. Most people in the metropolitan area I know are pretty accepting of most things. If anything you guys could consider yourselves pioneers coming to change everyones preconceived notions imo. I will say the tornadoes are pretty bad here or just the weather in general but as long as you have good insurance yall will be fine. Sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith. God Bless

Bill John
Folks from Oklahoma City seem to be somewhat intolerant, maybe you guys should look at Tulsa? It is a nicer city.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Folks from Oklahoma City seem to be somewhat intolerant, maybe you guys should look at Tulsa? It is a nicer city.
I just think Tulsa is nicer for being in a prettier natural setting with having the Arkansas as a real river and having more noticeable hills and trees. Both cities have acted intolerant toward gays. Didn't gays in Tulsa have to try for several years before they were given their first permit for a parade?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I just think Tulsa is nicer for being in a prettier natural setting with having the Arkansas as a real river and having more noticeable hills and trees. Both cities have acted intolerant toward gays. Didn't gays in Tulsa have to try for several years before they were given their first permit for a parade?
From what I see on the OKC thread it seems there is a lot of folks who are intolerant.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
lol. I'm straight as an arrow, and I welcome the OP to OKC.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
All I was trying to say was the OKC I know is more of a family oriented atmosphere. I'm not all up in everyones face with my heterosexuality.
Oh you aren't?

When I talk to someone new in OKC, within the first minute they ask, "you aren't from around here, are you?" Obviously I have some cues they see that I don't realize I'm doing. My point with that is that you likely do without realizing it. Take my office: I constantly hear about guys talking about their girlfriends, girls talking about their boyfriends or either talking about their spouses. Or when a coworker was getting married and others hounded me daily to contribute money to her wedding gift. Or what about when people feel the need to bring their child's fundraising efforts into work, trying to get me to buy overpriced wrapping paper or snacks? It seems to me if they wanted the child, they should bear the burden of paying for its education. Or at a former job, when I had to help out guys working in women's shoes and they would go to the back and talk about what they saw up the woman's skirt... and were quite prurient about it.

To me, that comes off as flaunting. Do you not see it that way? If someone asks about the OP's home life and he wants to answer honestly and openly, that's no different than a heterosexual doing the same.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
This makes no sense to me. there has been a large gay community in Oklahoma since...forever.

My sister and her partner live in a town in NE Oklahoma, are openly gay and are also incredibly successful members of their community in high-profile positions with tons of friends (both gay and straight) and are very active with their church.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
This makes no sense to me. there has been a large gay community in Oklahoma since...forever.

My sister and her partner live in a town in NE Oklahoma, are openly gay and are also incredibly successful members of their community in high-profile positions with tons of friends (both gay and straight) and are very active with their church.
I wouldn't go so far as to say large. There is a presence here in people and bars/clubs (only that for the most part), but it isn't a very large community. The institute in the link below used to have a better analysis of the GLBT population by metro areas, but has since removed it. I remember the data they used was from the mid-2000s and listed only the 50 largest metro areas, and OKC was second or third from the bottom in actual number, not percentage. Anyway, here's info about same-sex households (obviously excluding singles):
http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...-US-v2.pdf?r=1

The only other thing that suggests the population is small is economics. The scene is more or less restricted to bars and clubs, but in other cities you'll find publications, restaurants, health services, a community center, social organizations, social services, philanthropic organizations, housing/real estate agents, etc. To me that indicates there's no demand for more, otherwise entrepreneurs would jump all over it.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,226,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say large. There is a presence here in people and bars/clubs (only that for the most part), but it isn't a very large community. The institute in the link below used to have a better analysis of the GLBT population by metro areas, but has since removed it. I remember the data they used was from the mid-2000s and listed only the 50 largest metro areas, and OKC was second or third from the bottom in actual number, not percentage. Anyway, here's info about same-sex households (obviously excluding singles):
http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...-US-v2.pdf?r=1

The only other thing that suggests the population is small is economics. The scene is more or less restricted to bars and clubs, but in other cities you'll find publications, restaurants, health services, a community center, social organizations, social services, philanthropic organizations, housing/real estate agents, etc. To me that indicates there's no demand for more, otherwise entrepreneurs would jump all over it.
It makes sense that in a list of the top fifty metros that OKC would be at the bottom in actual numbers, Oklahoma City is the 46th largest metro.

I don't know about Oklahoma City, but Tulsa does have a large LBGT community center downtown, and I think there is a gay newspaper here. At least I have seen one offered in some restaurants.

Oklahomans for Equality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City