Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
The term californication didn't come about by accident. You can find my same sentiments in places like Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Texas where Californians have come in and tried to change it to resemble the California they left. Mainly through politics. Telling the locals they are not open minded or suggesting that their laws are oppressive. No one is asking you to abandoned the last 32 years of your life.

HOWEVER, those who walk around with their noses held high waiving their California flag, shouldn't expect the Okies to fall head over heals in love with them. They are the Okies now. I have a really good friend who moved here from Pismo Beach. He made lots of friends. He did it by becoming an Oklahoman - not a Californian living in Oklahoma. That means actually joining the society. Not trying to change it or turn your nose up to it.
When I lived on the West Coast that was true of many of the Oregonians I met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I hate to use up all the oxygen, but I'd like to make a couple of observations about human nature followed by a couple of observations about OKC.

First off, nobody will really like it if someone who has moved from another area is constantly talking about how this or that was sooo much better where they came from and so on. That's just annoying.

Second, a person shouldn't expect to move from one part of the country to another (or sometimes even from one neighborhood in the same town to another) or from a rural to urban area or from a predominantly Southern culture to a West Coast or Northern culture (for examples) and expect things to be the same. Why would you?

"Gee, living in Upper Butt Crack, Nebraska is so different than what I was used to in Philadelphia."

No kidding. What a shocker!

But human nature and interactions and emigration aside, I feel compelled (though many here wish I didn't) to offer some insights about OKC specifically.

I have lived all over the country. I have lived from Minnesota to Texas and from New York State to Oregon and many places in between. But mostly I've lived in Oklahoma, and I've lived in several cities and towns in the state while spending significant time in many others because of family, general traveling around and checking places out, etc.

But in all my travels, in all the places I've lived, the only place I've truly felt "alien" and out of place and not "at home" is right here in Oklahoma City where I've worked before and have now lived for the past 16 months.

Now, I love Oklahoma and have been happy everywhere else I've lived here. I've even come to accept--even like--certain aspects of OKC and certain little areas, but I still cannot wait to get out of this city (which I will be doing in six days.)

I have come to believe that it's not the people of OKC that are the problem as much as the sprawling size of OKC, the general ugliness and, yes, the lack of basic amenities other cities have that OKC lacks, such as public transportation (which is less than a joke here,) nice parks and so on.

There is just something about a metro with 680 square miles and very little character which is not terribly welcoming. Unless you already have a circle of friends, it is not an easy place to get social. Yes, there are some cool districts, some live music, and it's a great town if you are into sports.

But it just is NOT my place. Some of this is because of the kind of person I am and some of it is due to factors particular to OKC. I can name 20 towns right now that I'd rather live in than OKC. I am glad that I will be calling one of them home very, very soon.

All that said, I do love my state and its people for the most part. I feel pretty much anyone should be made to feel welcomed here.
Very true. Excited for you and your family getting to move to an area of Oklahoma that will suit you better.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
BTW, real atheists don't need a God to not believe in. Nor do they spend so much time and effort to silence those who believe. True atheists are not threatened by religion.
Absolutely.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
BTW, real atheists don't need a God to not believe in. Nor do they spend so much time and effort to silence those who believe. True atheists are not threatened by religion.

So it's ok for "true" atheists from California to move to Oklahoma then?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
The only reason anyone lives in Tulsa is because the streets are so confusing and circular around the city that once you get there, you can't get out.

I used to travel quite a bit. Tulsa is the only place in which I have ever gotten lost. Seriously, one drives in circles, going nowhere, 'til the end of time.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM

60 posts, read 105,727 times
Tulsa's streets are laid out similar to OKC's. The major arteries form mile grids. Tulsa is significantly less sprawled though. People who think Tulsa is hard to navigate should try finding their way around Atlanta or the DC area.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:09 AM

374 posts, read 806,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtoDFW2016 View Post
Tulsa's streets are laid out similar to OKC's. The major arteries form mile grids. Tulsa is significantly less sprawled though. People who think Tulsa is hard to navigate should try finding their way around Atlanta or the DC area.
That'l sure lure in the outsiders and change things. Entice them with Tulsa's street layout.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtoDFW2016 View Post

Boston is always the answer when it comes to the worst and most confusing streets. DC is pretty logical, at least inside the city.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM

60 posts, read 105,727 times
Quote:
That'l sure lure in the outsiders and change things. Entice them with Tulsa's street layout.
Why would you care what happens in Tulsa as long as people within the long list of categories you hate stay out of OKC? At least Oklahoma has Tulsa for those who are less hateful and more live and let live in their attitude.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:29 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,683 times
Quote:
Kinda like you hate Oklahoma, the culture of Oklahoma and the people of Oklahoma?

Here's what I am gathering from these discussions. It's not that Californians should move here; it's that Tulsans like you should move to California. You can be around more atheists and better grocery stores.

Tulsa is just fine, my family has been here for over 100 years. Sounds like your issue is with anyone not just like you and has little to do with Oklahoma.

Tulsa's grocery stores are just fine as well. The Grocery store problem is specific to the south end of the Turnpike. Between 15+ Reasors stores, two Whole Foods, a couple of Sprouts, Fresh Market, Green Acres, two Natural Grocers, Petty's Fine Foods, the new downtown grocery store, the local farmers markets and many ethnic markets there is no issue with grocery stores in Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City