Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:35 AM

5 posts, read 7,202 times

Advertisements

Paseo--Bohemian and hipster, but rather small. I hear property crime can be an issue at times in the area. Schools will be OKC public, which is not a selling point. Good art scene though.

The Village--people may say it is posh, but really only a few streets that border Nichols Hills. The rest is mostly mid-century and needing some repair. Again, I think the public schools will not be very good and you would have to afford private (Casady or Heritage Hall). I would not live there--no real draw factor other than the name.

Nichols Hills--Yes, it is rich, but not Beverly Hills. Not even like University Park or Highland Park in Dallas. Anyway, it was founded in the 1930s, but none of the original homes exist. The rich like to buy a big house and then blow it up and rebuild a new monstrosity. Yes, there is some old oil money there, but mostly snooty new money in my opinion.

Crown Heights/Edgemere Park--I would personally recommend. Outside of the public school situation, the neighborhood is up and coming. Nice older homes with trees and parks. Crown Heights is pricier and nicer in general than Edgemere, but Edgemere has more room for upward growth. Basically, if you were buying 10 years ago, it would have been CH over Edgemere. Both are nice nonetheless.

Mesta Park/Heritage Hills--in the early 1990s most of this was blighted. HH is now in the 500K to million dollar range. Mesta has some nice older homes, but the closer to 23rd St, the more work they might need.

East of Classen and South of 39th--I have no idea what this is called, but the area seems up and coming and has good appeal, but schools would still be OKC Public (I would homeschool or maybe, just maybe, go private over OKC Public). I am sure there are good people in OKC Public, but not a good system. Anyway, just avoid getting too close to OCU or Penn in this area. Its still okay, but the houses don't seem as good.

Carey Place--South of OCU there is Carey Place. It has a quaint feel to it. I think you would like it and the surrounding area. Look it up on Google Maps or Zillow.

Edmond--a suburb. If you like them, it will be great. The old town is more dried up and small town feeling than up and coming. If anything is up and coming in Edmond, it would be a McMansion. Although I like the suburb, there is a tone of disdain from some Edmond residents on the rest of the denizens of OKC metro.

Norman--it sounds like a good fit. There are alot of areas of the older part of town coming up. I-35 can be hellish for Oklahoma (hour drive to downtown OKC in rush hour), but there is always highway 77/sooner rd that will deposit you closer to Tinker than the interstate would. OU adds a more relative cosmopolitan taste to an otherwise small Oklahoma city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 02:45 AM

5 posts, read 7,202 times
Oh, and about shelters. I would get a house with a basement if possible. Failing that, I would get a tub. Basements are rare in Oklahoma. If you have the means, I would invest in an above ground shelter. Anything below ground is liable to get flooded at some point...or have debris or a car on top of it in the worse case. Any shelter you install should be registered with the emergency services so they know to come an get you out. I have mostly lived in apartments, so my unofficial plan is to leave the area when you know the season and the storm is coming (you have a couple of hours typically). When I lived in the City, I have driven as far north as Guthrie and south to Pauls Valley. It is not recommended since if everyone did that it would clog the roads, but I do it since I was in an apartment and my downstairs neighbors were not very neighborly. If I had a house I would get a shelter and stay put.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:46 PM

16 posts, read 8,869 times
"BTW, real atheists don't need a God to not believe in. Nor do they spend so much time and effort to silence those who believe. True atheists are not threatened by religion."

Who did delete original post? Mister democracy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City