Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I don't understand what you mean. What do you think will take the place of supermarkets?

I also remember going with my aunt every saturday for her to get her "order." She would go around this small neighborhood grocery store, getting what she wanted and they they would pack it all in boxes, and they would drive her and her groceries home. They billed her once a month, too. The would always let me "sample" some things like loose candy and cookies. Yes, those days are gone.
Talking about sampling, we would stop in at one of our little local markets and go back to the bakery kitchen where the baker would let us lick frosting papers (he didn't even use a pastry cloth, just paper he could throw away) he also could have cream puffs and enclares or whatever that he didn't think were nice enough to sell. Can you imagine that today? Once a week my mom would pick me up from school and we would go the the Grand Central market in downtown Los Angeles (I doubt it is still there) they sold fresh breads, bakery products and some other things, but mostly it was a produce market. Mom had one particular stand she liked. She would make a list of what they had she wanted, then give them the list. We could go to the lunch counter and have a coke, By the time we were finished our order would be ready and usually by then dad would be getting off work (he worked only a few blocks away) We would all carry the produce to the car, then it was off to the meat store where daddy had called in his order earlier. After we picked up our meat we headed home, I think we were about 1/2 from downtown. It was fun to unpack all the fresh groceries and decide what to have for dinner that night.

I mention this, for 2 reasons, one because it is fun to remember those years and 2-I see a return to this is a way. It is like going backward is a forward way. No, we will not return to what was the norm in the 40s and 50s, but think how many of us are shop today. Many buy some of their produce at the farmers markets, which accept WINK and food stamps in many cases: we buy in bulk at Cosco and Sams and the middle class, prefer shopping in places like Sprouts and Trader Joes. Of course then we have Wal-Mart and Target as well, and our small neighborhood grocery stores often featuring weekly specials lower than prices at Wal-Mart and Target. Our 3 children, all living in upward mobile communities are seeing super markets close in some cases. This is not to say, they do not frequent super markets, of course they do, but I do believe there is a reason super markets as we remember them 10, 20 or 30 years ago will be replaced.

Just one gals opinion!!!
NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 02:23 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,754 times
Okay, guys, we need to park the theory that no quality grocery stores in Oklahoma City is the result of wine not being allowed to be sold in grocery stores in Oklahoma.

Whole Foods Market has locations in several states that do not allow the sale of wine in grocery stores, such as Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Minnesota, New Jersey, Connecticut, Kentucky and Pennsylvania, and in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Costco also has locations in states that do not allow the sale of wine in grocery stores, including Kansas, Utah, Colorado and Minnesota.

So it looks like we will need to contact these companies and find the REAL reason why they don't open up Oklahoma City locations. Because if they are telling us it is because they cannot sell wine, they are lying to our face.

Personally, I think they are just snubbing Oklahoma City. Honestly, no other indication has been given.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM

23 posts, read 92,801 times
In Texas and Colorado we had Krogers and King Soopers that were great. Wonder why they don't come to Oklahoma?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,247 times
I have to think it's just a matter of time before one of these chains makes the move, and then the floodgates will open and everyone will be opening stores there. There have been lots of favorable new articles about Okla City recently, and it's starting to appear on the nation's radar screen.

However, the fact that nothing has gotten there yet does make me question the quality of the research that's being done for large supermarket chains, on which markets they should be expanding to.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I have to think it's just a matter of time before one of these chains makes the move, and then the floodgates will open and everyone will be opening stores there. There have been lots of favorable new articles about Okla City recently, and it's starting to appear on the nation's radar screen.

However, the fact that nothing has gotten there yet does make me question the quality of the research that's being done for large supermarket chains, on which markets they should be expanding to.
Tim, I still think there is more to this grocery store issue than just research. Many cities and towns 1/5th the size of OKC have major chain stores. Living in Albuquerque for 7 years we watched several chain stores leave or get bought out by other chains.

Here in NWA we depend on Wal Mart, Sams, Cosco and small mom and pop types. Of course we are also the headquarters for Wal Mart, but NM was no the the headquarters. As I mentioned earlier, our daughter lives in an upscale area nowest of Dallas, they have several large super markets, but have watched a few sink as well. Again, people depend on the super markets more just to run in and out.

Nita

Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tim, I still think there is more to this grocery store issue than just research....
You could well be right, Nita. Btw, we lived in Albuq too, and had several Smith's & Albertsons close to home, as well as a Whole Foods 10 minutes down Academy. When you compare that to living in OKC's midtown or downtown areas, there's really nothing close by, save the Homeland near 18th & Classen.

I wonder if the city is doing enough to attract supermarkets, or if they perhaps discourage some of the larger multi-state corporations?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Tim, I still think there is more to this grocery store issue than just research. Many cities and towns 1/5th the size of OKC have major chain stores. Living in Albuquerque for 7 years we watched several chain stores leave or get bought out by other chains.

Here in NWA we depend on Wal Mart, Sams, Cosco and small mom and pop types. Of course we are also the headquarters for Wal Mart, but NM was no the the headquarters. As I mentioned earlier, our daughter lives in an upscale area nowest of Dallas, they have several large super markets, but have watched a few sink as well. Again, people depend on the super markets more just to run in and out.

Nita
It might be a region of the country type thing. In NJ, new supermarkets were opening up and older ones were "upscaling." No lack of buisness for them either. However, most of the Walmarts in NJ don't carry a full supermarket, so that may be the thing. I MUCH prefer a supermarket over Walmart/Target type places. I would LOVE to see an olive bar or gourmet cheese section somewhere.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
It might be a region of the country type thing. In NJ, new supermarkets were opening up and older ones were "upscaling." No lack of buisness for them either. However, most of the Walmarts in NJ don't carry a full supermarket, so that may be the thing. I MUCH prefer a supermarket over Walmart/Target type places. I would LOVE to see an olive bar or gourmet cheese section somewhere.
Colleen, this was the case in NO Texas as well, but that was until about 3 or 4 years ago. That seemed to be when the super markets stopped opening on every corner, there are very few places in the country growing like the burbs in NO Texas and Austin, not only are they growing but they attract upward mobile families. You still do not see the super markets springing up, but you do see Strouts, as well as WalMarts and Target super centers. This is new to these areas. Mentioning things like gourmet cheeses, these are the types of things often carried by Sprouts, whole foods and Trader Joes or the little mom and dad markets, olive bar, that must be a thing on the east coast. We have lived or visited in most of the mid west, west and south west in the past 5 years, no olive bars....I think what you would like to see and what you will see might be two different things.

Nita

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Colleen, this was the case in NO Texas as well, but that was until about 3 or 4 years ago. That seemed to be when the super markets stopped opening on every corner, there are very few places in the country growing like the burbs in NO Texas and Austin, not only are they growing but they attract upward mobile families. You still do not see the super markets springing up, but you do see Strouts, as well as WalMarts and Target super centers. This is new to these areas. Mentioning things like gourmet cheeses, these are the types of things often carried by Sprouts, whole foods and Trader Joes or the little mom and dad markets, olive bar, that must be a thing on the east coast. We have lived or visited in most of the mid west, west and south west in the past 5 years, no olive bars....I think what you would like to see and what you will see might be two different things.

Nita
There has always been a strong Italian influence in New Jersey, which is why I assume the olive bars are popular. You can get sun dried tomatoes, olives, pickled mushrooms, and fresh mozzarella cheese at these bars. They are a section in the supermarket. Also, all types of gourmet cheeses and fresh pasta are available as well. Maybe somewhere in OKC there might be a small shop that carries this stuff. I'll have to investigate.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Reasor's in Tulsa, as well as Petty's in Utica Square in Tulsa carry all that sort of thing. As far as Italian products, give Lovera's in Krebs ( Lovera's Italian Meat Market and Grocery §§ )a call to see if they have an outlet or reseller in OKC. I can get their stuff from several locations in Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City