Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post

Moreover, many people in Oklahoma City have been to Texas, namely Dallas, and have shopped at HEB, Whole Foods (a location already exists in Tulsa) and the like. I guarantee that if one of these grocery stores were to set up shop in OKC, they'd make a killing. Right now Wal-Mart is holding us hostage.
Would be interesting to see I suppose. I was in Santa Fe, NM a year or so ago. They have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Wild Oats. That place has a population under 100k people, but I guess the kind of people living there really prefer those types of markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 02:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
houston transplant,

I support wine sales in supermarkets in Oklahoma, however I disagree with your assessment on those models requiring wine and beer sales to offset lower prices on food. These stores have locations in states that do not allow wine sales in grocery stores such as Kansas, Colorado and Utah.

Income in Oklahoma is on the rise, and fast, but median income is a poor way to measure the wealth of the local economy. Per capita personal income is the best way to measure wealth in a city, county and state.

Moreover, many people in Oklahoma City have been to Texas, namely Dallas, and have shopped at HEB, Whole Foods (a location already exists in Tulsa) and the like. I guarantee that if one of these grocery stores were to set up shop in OKC, they'd make a killing. Right now Wal-Mart is holding us hostage.
ok, part of what you say is very true, but I do think the sale of wine and beer if not hard liquor is necessary,especially in stores like Sprouts and trader Joes. I think those of you in OK and us in NWA will have to wait about 3 to 5 years for these stores to imerge. I can't wait!!!!

I also agree the income level in OK is rising, any of these markets would be a bit hit: I can't understand why the executives do not see it the way we do...

Nita

Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,505 times
They sell some VERY potent malt liquir in OKC liquor stores. I've never seen the stuff here in Arkansas.
I stayed in OKC for a week and I really missed having a Wal-mart supercenter on just about every steetcorner. I love OKC though, I might be there after college.
You can't do much better than the super coa Nguyen as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM

120 posts, read 425,033 times
Back around 1994 I had the pleasure of working in Seattle for a bit and fell in love with a grocery store there called "Freds Market".
At least, if memory serves me correctly, that was the name. It was right next to the hotel where I was staying.
They had a beer cooler the entire length of the store. Anything you could ever want. Their candy section wasn't the typical stuff you see in a 7-11. I'd call it more "upscale" and their bread selection was immense too.
What Oklahoma needs is a whole foods market but they don't franchise out or I would personally try to bring one to OKC. In fact, I'd probably put one on the east side of Mustang where it's a BOOM market.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tiv_okie View Post
Back around 1994 I had the pleasure of working in Seattle for a bit and fell in love with a grocery store there called "Freds Market".
At least, if memory serves me correctly, that was the name. It was right next to the hotel where I was staying.
They had a beer cooler the entire length of the store. Anything you could ever want. Their candy section wasn't the typical stuff you see in a 7-11. I'd call it more "upscale" and their bread selection was immense too.
What Oklahoma needs is a whole foods market but they don't franchise out or I would personally try to bring one to OKC. In fact, I'd probably put one on the east side of Mustang where it's a BOOM market.

If you can do that, why not buy an INandOut hamburger franshise as well.??

Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
OK, for you people complaining that there aren't any decent supermarkets in OKC ...... in addition to the Asian one we posted about last week, we also discovered a DISCOUNT supermarket that has the most incredible selection of not only canned ethnic foods, but the most incredible selection of super fresh produce and herbs for a REALLY good price. Today we picked up lemon grass at 89 cents a pound .... 2 big bags of Thai basil for $2 ...... and some other stuff that I can't remember at this time and I am afraid to open the fridge.

GP will tell you where we got it ......

Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I also agree the income level in OK is rising, any of these markets would be a bit hit: I can't understand why the executives do not see it the way we do...

Nita
Perhaps because there are so many ethnic stores who sell the authentic stuff at a much lower price than the "upscale" places do?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Perhaps because there are so many ethnic stores who sell the authentic stuff at a much lower price than the "upscale" places do?

Have you ever been to a Trader Joes or Sprouts? Neither is expensive, in fact they are less expensive than chain grocery stores and have fresher produce and better quality, their wine and in the stores that sell hard stuff is cheaper. No, they are not more expensive. In fact I think they are less expensive than some ethnic stores, but they do not have the enthic selections. I think you are confused as to the role these stores play. They are not meant to replace authentic cultural foods.

Nita

Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have you ever been to a Trader Joes or Sprouts? Neither is expensive, in fact they are less expensive than chain grocery stores and have fresher produce and better quality, their wine and in the stores that sell hard stuff is cheaper. No, they are not more expensive. In fact I think they are less expensive than some ethnic stores, but they do not have the enthic selections. I think you are confused as to the role these stores play. They are not meant to replace authentic cultural foods.

Nita
Oh, I am very familiar with those types of stores.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:47 PM

11 posts, read 51,581 times
Quality of grocery stores in Oklahoma City. This has always been an issue for me.

Every time I travel and visit great stores like Whole Foods or Central Market I get depressed in the reality of the weak choices available at home.

I shop the Buy For Less stores at 36th and MacArthur because I like the ethnic (latino) influence and the other Buy For Less on NW Expressway because I find the selection better. It just depends on my needs at the time.

I quit shopping Crest because that store (NW 23rd and Meridian) just wears me out. And it's not the clientele that bother me, it's the store employees. They are just a little too personal with the customers and can be bit pushy. The store may be cleaner and have a little better selection, but like I said, they wear me out.

Oh yeah, Homeland is a non-starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City