Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:59 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
We do that to keep people from Muskogee out! just kidding!

The reason it is that way goes back before statehood. Wayback before the airport was built that used to be a huge stagecoach station. People used to ride out to the Tulsa International Stagecoach Station to pick up folks that would come in from all over, St. Louis, Chicago, Denver... Some of the terminology is still used today, for example when you ride on an airplane you may find yourself ridding in "coach". Back before it was broken out expressway it was known as the broken arrow trail.

Well there was this ornery cuss of an NDN named Chief Goodpastor, he was always stealing the trail signs just because he was so mean! Well Marshall Howest figured out it was just easier to keep the signs down since they would be stollen again anyway. Plus he didn't want to arrest the Cheif because of his bad body odor and the jail didn't have air conditioning back then.

So now you know why we don't have signs in Tulsa.
Okie, that's just as I thought. Tulsa doesn't want Muskogee people up there! That's all right. There is one thing I know and that's how to take a hint. Wild horses couldn't get me to go to Tulsa... Seriously though, I rarely go there anyway. Last time I tried, I ended up in MacAlester. Now I know why. Goodpaster switched signs. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 02:59 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Okie, that's just as I thought. Tulsa doesn't want Muskogee people up there! That's all right. There is one thing I know and that's how to take a hint. Wild horses couldn't get me to go to Tulsa... Seriously though, I rarely go there anyway. Last time I tried, I ended up in MacAlester. Now I know why. Goodpaster switched signs. LOL
OMG! What did you do up in Tulsa that got you in McAlester? Your too pretty for prison!

Old 06-20-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
OMG! What did you do up in Tulsa that got you in McAlester? Your too pretty for prison!
Well, see? This is my story... You said ole Chief Goodpasture stole some signs and because of that I blamed him for putting a fake sign up outside of Muskogee pointing to MacAlester as the way to go to Tulsa, so I never got to Tulsa.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Okie, that's just as I thought. Tulsa doesn't want Muskogee people up there!
Nope, just your money. That's why we have Broken Arrow.

Quote:
That's all right. There is one thing I know and that's how to take a hint. Wild horses couldn't get me to go to Tulsa...
Wild horses won't get you much of anywhere except to a hospital. Only one thing you know? guess Muskogee schools just don't cut it.......

Quote:
......... I ended up in MacAlester.
Now you know why we don't want Muskogeeites in Tulsa...........

Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Nope, just your money. That's why we have Broken Arrow.

Wild horses won't get you much of anywhere except to a hospital. Only one thing you know? guess Muskogee schools just don't cut it.......

Now you know why we don't want Muskogeeites in Tulsa...........
Tractors will get you in the hospital too! LOL

Old 06-22-2015, 07:02 AM

I'll have you know I've never set foot in a Muskogee school. My educashun came from somewheres else.

Okie, speaking of tractors... have all your surgeries been completed? It's time for updating if you would.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'll have you know I've never set foot in a Muskogee school. My educashun came from somewheres else.

Okie, speaking of tractors... have all your surgeries been completed? It's time for updating if you would.
I'm getting better darling, thanks for asking!

When people see pictures of me after my accident, they say "oh my God you look like hell!" But my favorite comeback is to say "you think I look bad, you should see the tractor!" LOL

Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
^And the OKC metro area has a higher household median income, which means it is not economics only. It is likely a perception effect as well as an "already established" effect (e.g., Tulsa has many other stores that are typically found where New Store X locates its places, and hence it makes sense to open in Tulsa).

I am still curious if things will change in the next 10 years or not. Maybe they won't - I don't know. But Tulsa is essentially not growing right now and OKC is. *shrug*
There are many reasons a retainer will choose to locate and one city over another. They look at tons of demographics.

In tulsa's case, it could be because almost all of our wealth is on one side of town. Even our richest suburbs are on the south side of Tulsa. Most of the states highest income ZIP Codes run from Midtown Tulsa to South Tulsa. The new Costco is definitely surrounded by very nice ZIP Codes. And maybe they look at other retailers success, Whole Foods was in Tulsa years before they were in Oklahoma City, and have been very successful here. They just put another store in south Tulsa, in another very rich ZIP Code. The new Trader Joe's is going in Midtown, one of the richest and most beautiful neighborhoods in Oklahoma. There is nothing in Oklahoma that compares to Midtown Tulsa.

I wonder if sometimes Oklahoma City being seen as so conservative has any impact on wear a retainer decides to locate? There is another thread going on right now, where somebody is asking folks to list the 10 most conservative cities in the United States. The one city That comes up every single time is Oklahoma City. Not one person so far has mentioned Tulsa.

And you have to also wonder if the cities appearance has anything to do with it? Tulsa really sits in a nice natural habitat. The hills, trees and streams really make Tulsa pretty. Tulsa has a huge urban Forest, kind of reminds me of a southern city. If one is to travel from downtown all the way to the very southern edge of the metropolitan area you would be hard-pressed to find a bad neighborhood.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Only tractors I like..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D1qxL60z0M

Old 01-31-2016, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
Tulsa is considered to be a good testing market and often the reason it is chosen over OKC. They typically get the initial OK store. It has everything to do with demographics. Tulsa has a higher income earning base then that of OKC in a more dense area. OKC is very spread out and more risky as most consumers focus on price as opposed to selection or quality. Any company putting in a store in OKC almost always locates it in or around Edmond where you see higher incomes and consumers less focused on price as the primary decision maker. Ive worked with several economic development companies and they typically say it boils down to population density, income and incentives offered up by municipalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City