Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:50 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times

Advertisements

"Shocked," I mean.

What, exactly, is going on in Duncan? This is just the latest in a string of inexplicable, violent incidents down there. Except now, it's making grim international headlines:

Family of shooting victim Chris Lane decries 'senseless' killing

Quote:
The family of shooting victim and Australian baseballer Chris Lane have delivered an emotional tribute to their son, saying they are struggling to deal with his "senseless" killing.

The 22-year-old Melburnian was gunned down on Friday when he left the home of his girlfriend and went for a jog in Duncan, a quiet town in southern Oklahoma with a population of just 25,000.
So how do the people of Duncan feel about all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
"Shocked," I mean.

What, exactly, is going on in Duncan? This is just the latest in a string of inexplicable, violent incidents down there. Except now, it's making grim international headlines:

Family of shooting victim Chris Lane decries 'senseless' killing

So how do the people of Duncan feel about all this?
Utterly ridiculous. Mankind is depraved.

Appears to have been a fine young man. Deeply sorry for the family's loss.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,179 times
I live about one block south of the intersection where Christopher Lane died. I was not in town when the shooting occurred and only heard about it on television when I returned home the next day.

This area of Duncan is considered as perhaps one of the nicest housing additions in town. It is normally quiet and nothing much happens around this area of which I am aware. However, just a couple of blocks west of my home in the same housing addition, another shooting happened last night. This one seems to be an ex-husband, his ex-wife, and her boyfriend triangle type domestic altercation. The victim is expected to live.

I can tell you how most of the people of my area are feeling about these incidents, tablemtn. We are very shocked and surprised about what is happening in our town. We are saddened by the loss of Mr. Lane. There are some rumors going around town about the three teenagers arrested for Mr. Lane's shootings, but until I know for sure, I can't comment on them.

It seems Duncan is changing--and not for the better. I've lived here all my life. (I do plan to move to another city as soon as I can, but not due to the shootings. The move has been planned for quite some time.) I do not like the way this town is changing, and again, I am sorry for the family and girlfriend of Christopher Lane. He didn't deserve to die that way. No one does.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 AM

986 posts, read 2,507,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
I live about one block south of the intersection where Christopher Lane died. I was not in town when the shooting occurred and only heard about it on television when I returned home the next day.

This area of Duncan is considered as perhaps one of the nicest housing additions in town. It is normally quiet and nothing much happens around this area of which I am aware. However, just a couple of blocks west of my home in the same housing addition, another shooting happened last night. This one seems to be an ex-husband, his ex-wife, and her boyfriend triangle type domestic altercation. The victim is expected to live.

I can tell you how most of the people of my area are feeling about these incidents, tablemtn. We are very shocked and surprised about what is happening in our town. We are saddened by the loss of Mr. Lane. There are some rumors going around town about the three teenagers arrested for Mr. Lane's shootings, but until I know for sure, I can't comment on them.

It seems Duncan is changing--and not for the better. I've lived here all my life. (I do plan to move to another city as soon as I can, but not due to the shootings. The move has been planned for quite some time.) I do not like the way this town is changing, and again, I am sorry for the family and girlfriend of Christopher Lane. He didn't deserve to die that way. No one does.
You say the town is "changing" - meaning an influx of non whites? I'm curious to know the race of the shooter and how truly "random" this was. Anyone who respects any sort of gang mentality and music is culpable in my mind.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 AM

415 posts, read 599,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
You say the town is "changing" - meaning an influx of non whites? I'm curious to know the race of the shooter and how truly "random" this was. Anyone who respects any sort of gang mentality and music is culpable in my mind.
I've seen this story all over the internet and it is truly sad. One part that makes it sad is how people want to turn this into a racial issue. Were you interested in knowing the race of the shooter at Columbine and all those gun massacres across the country? Were you surprised they were committed by white guys who didn't have gang mentalities or listen to "gang music"?

The big issue here is our gun laws and how teens can get guns so easily. The U.S. is a laughing stock. We have a military that is capable of sending millions of soldiers from all over the world to the Middle East with proper medical supplies, weapons, technology, transportation, etc. within a week. But we can't control the rampant gun violence. What a joke!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,179 times
ca_north, no I do not mean "Duncan is changing" as in an influx of non-whites. I guess I could look at statistics to ascertain the composition of Duncan's population and if it has changed, but I haven't (and I doubt I will).

I just notice that things here are getting worse than in the past. I've lived here almost sixty years, and crime is on the rise as I see it. I look at the police logs published in the local paper, and they seem to get longer each day. (Even though my father always said that if people knew half the stuff that goes on in this town they'd be in for a big shock; he said that his entire life as he always lived here, too. I'm not sure where he got his information, but I believed him even though it didn't affect me too much back then.) Now with two murders this summer (Allegedly, a young girl was stabbed to death by an ex-boyfriend earlier this summer.) and another shooting allegedly by a local physician....well, I think you can see where I am going with this.

I also taught school for thirty-six years. I've seen first-hand how families have changed and how people are less respectful and friendly. Now, I'm fairly sure this is happening in other places as well, but I'm mainly concerned with where I live. I feel Duncan is becoming less safe than I remember as a child and young adult. (Heck, I even reminded my mother to be more careful and observant when she told me she was going to Wal-Mart at 10:00 a.m. yesterday--to watch out for the people around her.) Has Duncan always had problems? Probably, but those problems seem to have become more acute in recent years. I guess you'd have to be an "old-timer" like I am to realize the not-so-good changes that Duncan has been going through these past years.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,808 times
What is the race of "Chancey Luna"? What is the race of James Edwards? What is the race of Michael Lucas? The getaway car was reported as being black. Chris Lane's picture is up, he's white. Why aren't we being told the race of the alleged perpetrators? I was told by a local TV station in Okla. that two of the suspects were black, and one was white. I was then asked, by her, "what does race have to do with it"? I was also told that I was "bothering her". Will the president go on national tv and say "my son could have looked like the 2 african american suspects, if i had a son"? Will he say that whites often profile blacks in their minds. Will he say anything about blacks killing whites in this country? Will anyone challenge him to do so? HOW MUCH EXACTLY MUST WE SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF A PRESIDENT WHO DOESN'T HAVE A HARD COPY BIRTH CERTIFICATE, WHO MAKES EXCUSES ALL OVER THE PLACE FOR MUSLIM EXTREMISTS, WHO WAS MENTORED BY A FRANK MARSHALL DAVIS, A COMMUNIST, WHOSE FATHER HATED THE BRITISH, WHO HATED WINSTON CHURCHILL, WHO WAS FRIENDS WITH TERRORISTS BILL AYRES AND BERNADINE DOHRN, WHOSE WIFE SAID SHE WAS NEVER PROUD OF BEING AN AMERICAN, AND WHOSE PASTOR FOR 20 YEARS SPEWED ANTI-WHITE/ANTI-AMERICAN HATRED, AND WHO SAID THE POLICE ACTED STUPIDLY IN THE HENRY LOUIS GATES CASE? HOW MUCH DO WE HAVE TO SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF THIS PHONY?????????????????????????? WHEN WILL WHITE PEOPLE GET UP THE COURAGE TO CHALLENGE BLACK PEOPLE ON THEIR HATRED OF WHITES? HOW MUCH BLACK ON WHITE KILLINGS ARE WE DOOMED TO SUFFER? WHEN WILL SOMEONE STAND UP AND SAY "THIS HAS GOT TO END, AND IT IS GOING TO END, WHITE GUILT IS OVER"?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on my knees View Post
What is the race of "Chancey Luna"? What is the race of James Edwards? What is the race of Michael Lucas? The getaway car was reported as being black. Chris Lane's picture is up, he's white. Why aren't we being told the race of the alleged perpetrators? I was told by a local TV station in Okla. that two of the suspects were black, and one was white. I was then asked, by her, "what does race have to do with it"? I was also told that I was "bothering her". Will the president go on national tv and say "my son could have looked like the 2 african american suspects, if i had a son"? Will he say that whites often profile blacks in their minds. Will he say anything about blacks killing whites in this country? Will anyone challenge him to do so? HOW MUCH EXACTLY MUST WE SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF A PRESIDENT WHO DOESN'T HAVE A HARD COPY BIRTH CERTIFICATE, WHO MAKES EXCUSES ALL OVER THE PLACE FOR MUSLIM EXTREMISTS, WHO WAS MENTORED BY A FRANK MARSHALL DAVIS, A COMMUNIST, WHOSE FATHER HATED THE BRITISH, WHO HATED WINSTON CHURCHILL, WHO WAS FRIENDS WITH TERRORISTS BILL AYRES AND BERNADINE DOHRN, WHOSE WIFE SAID SHE WAS NEVER PROUD OF BEING AN AMERICAN, AND WHOSE PASTOR FOR 20 YEARS SPEWED ANTI-WHITE/ANTI-AMERICAN HATRED, AND WHO SAID THE POLICE ACTED STUPIDLY IN THE HENRY LOUIS GATES CASE? HOW MUCH DO WE HAVE TO SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF THIS PHONY?????????????????????????? WHEN WILL WHITE PEOPLE GET UP THE COURAGE TO CHALLENGE BLACK PEOPLE ON THEIR HATRED OF WHITES? HOW MUCH BLACK ON WHITE KILLINGS ARE WE DOOMED TO SUFFER? WHEN WILL SOMEONE STAND UP AND SAY "THIS HAS GOT TO END, AND IT IS GOING TO END, WHITE GUILT IS OVER"?
Ah, a visitor from Stormfront. Is it really proof of Godwin's law to point out that actual Nazis, you know, are Nazis? Or White Power, or whatever flavor Mr "on my knees" prefers.

49% of murder victims in this country are black. That's a and sad huge number. 78% of those murders were at the hands of a back criminal. So are most white murder victims killed by black criminals as well? No, only 15% of white murder victims were killed by black criminals. There is no epidemic of black people murdering whites, in fact the overall murder rate in the US is now at its lowest rate in more than 30 years.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/bvvc.pdf

This is a tragic crime and from all indications that the killers are already in custody and are facing justice. If it is found that they chose the victim due to his race, they should be charged with a hate crime on top of murder. If it was entirely random as is being reported today, they will still be facing the far more serious murder charge.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post

The big issue here is our gun laws !
NO!

The big issue is a culture of violence in a certain community here in the USA. People are afraid to bring this up, out of fear of being branded a racist, but look at the murder statistics and see the reality for yourself.

It is a cultural issue, not a legal one that's at hand.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM

273 posts, read 672,594 times
The main concern is why did these kids have access to guns and how were they educated about guns? Really hate to say this but when I hear this makes me glad New York has strict gun laws and that a large portion of the shooting are done with illegal guns from states with lax gun control laws.

I guess if Sandy Hook won't get Senators and House of Reps to enact stricter gun laws at the federal level (and I mean simple things like at gun shows buyers are registers so a criminal does get a chance to easily unload a hot weapon or someone mentally unstable can circumvent gun laws and buy one from a show) hen I imagine it will take an international incident - say a high level official from another country who is a close ally to get shot by some nutjob to have smart, better gun control laws.

Ok, I am ready for the 2nd Amendment defenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma