Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Okay, who stole summer? When I left last week, it was 105 F. in the shade and when I returned it is 75 F.!! And forecast is for low 80's this week.

What the ...?! Talk about a drastic change!
This used to happen in NJ a lot. You would be sweltering in early August, and by mid August, it was all over. A few hot days in mid September, but otherwise, bye, bye summer.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Okay, who stole summer? When I left last week, it was 105 F. in the shade and when I returned it is 75 F.!! And forecast is for low 80's this week.

What the ...?! Talk about a drastic change!
So THAT'S what happened!! It was the loss of your warm, sunny personality! Next time you decide to leave for a week or so, you should give us notice!!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
All week long we had to put up with those "poor" Denverites lamenting their hot weather in the 90's. Waa. It was 90 plus 15 days in a row and boy, was that ever the hot topic!

Oh my goodness!

Then the day we left, it was 50 F around 9 AM.

We got out just in time. Denver is about to host the Democratic National Convention - Denver 2008 Convention Host Committee.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Now that the weather is nice and cool at night, I keep all the windows and doors open. Around 2 am on my way to the bathroom (at my age that is SOP several times a night) I saw Pete the cat staring intently at something beneath the book case in my office. At first I thought it was a mouse, but when it moved and I saw the markings I realized it was a snake.

I screamed which woke up GP and the 2 Jack Russells (I have never seen the big guy move so fast). By this time the snake had left my office and the hunt was on.

It turned up in the livingroom behind the recliner in front of the book shelves. Before the big guy could pick it up with a stick to put back outside, Tick (the 4 yo JR) had already killed it while Twyla (the 6 mo old JR) supervised from underneath the bed and I watched from a safe distance.

The picture is a bit fuzzy ...... understandably under the circumstances ........

Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
My god! How did that thing get in?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
She doesn't leave the doors open any more.............go figure, eh?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
She doesn't leave the doors open any more.............go figure, eh?
I've been considering something like that - leaving things open, now that it's cooler, I mean - but since the sellers took all the screens with them among other things, and there are major quanities of wasp nests over my bedroom in the eaves, I haven't quite bothered yet. They tend to wake up before I do, and they aren't nice house pets.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Now that the weather is nice and cool at night, I keep all the windows and doors open. Around 2 am on my way to the bathroom (at my age that is SOP several times a night)
You're not alone in that.

Quote:
I saw Pete the cat staring intently at something beneath the book case in my office. At first I thought it was a mouse, but when it moved and I saw the markings I realized it was a snake.
Bet that woke you up better than the morning coffee.

Quote:
I screamed
Really? knowing you as I do, I'm kinda surprised to hear that,
but I admire your honesty.

Quote:
which woke up GP and the 2 Jack Russells (I have never seen the big guy move so fast).
Sort of like a train coming huh?
Do you have video?

Quote:
By this time the snake had left my office and the hunt was on.
The only thing worse than seeing a snake in your house
would be knowing it was there, but not exactly where it was...
I'd never sleep again until it was found and removed.

Quote:
It turned up in the livingroom behind the recliner in front of the book shelves. Before the big guy could pick it up with a stick to put back outside, Tick (the 4 yo JR) had already killed it while
GOOD BOY TICK!

Quote:
Twyla (the 6 mo old JR) supervised from underneath the bed and
SMART GIRL TWYLA!

Quote:
I watched from a safe distance.
SMART GIRL DUTCHIE!

Quote:
The picture is a bit fuzzy ...... understandably under the circumstances ........
I'm pretty sure your forum mates will forgive you.

BTW...
What kind of snake was it?
Looks like the copperhead I saw on a NatGeo documentary.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
I think I screamed because GP was home. When I am home alone I am a lot braver because I know I HAVE to. When Greg is here I can allow myself to be the damsel in distress but when I am alone I have no choice but to be the pioneer woman I am at eart. I don't know if that makes sense.

It was a rat snake .... their coloring and pattern look a lot like a poisonous snake but you can tell the difference by their head.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
a black rat snake. It has a really dark diamond pattern on it's back that is nearly invisible. against it's black back. Copperheads, though, in this part of the country tend to be a coppery color almost the color of oak leaves on the ground in the fall.

A characteristic of most snakes is that they will try to get away when approached. Most, however, will give a warning of some kind if they are cornered. Even the rat snake will vibrate it's tail. Copperheads, on the other hand, tend to strike PRIOR to any kind of warning. Apparently they use a minor bite/strike as the warning. They do not put much venom into the initial bite, but it can cause pain and loss of use of the part of the body bitten. Secondary infection is always a problem.

When dealing with copperheads, the best bet is to just leave them alone. If you have to get close or get rid of them, do so with a long stick or something you can use from a distance. Shotguns work good if you aren't inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma