Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:55 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times

Advertisements

75 and 169 are toll-free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Excellent post, but there are a couple of things I would add:

Under Museums, the Davis Museum in Claremore houses one of the most comprehensive collection of guns in the world. Also, the Will Rogers Museum is worth a visit.

And while state supported colleges have been absent, in addition to OU and OSU campuses, Northeastern has a campus, now, in Broken Arrow, and Rogers State University (the former Oklahoma Military Academy) is now a full four year school, located in Claremore.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:24 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjeffries View Post
snip.....

...I'm not trying to start an argument about/between the two cities, I'm just explaining why transportation and higher education in and around Tulsa is the way it is.
Yeah, but let's see how long it takes before one gets fired up.

Great information and should almost be stickied, IMO. But it might have to be stickied in the Tulsa forum, depending on how the slugfest metes itself out!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

How did Tulsa get its varied and beautiful architecture (minus that one ugly circular brown building downtown?) I've been looking at some of the city's pics on its forum. Looks like a very green city; it looks a lot like Kentucky, actually.
A recent article on Tulsa deco architecture.
Tulsa's Art Deco architecture recognized - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

OKC has bricktown, which was a brick warehouse area previously but now an area with restaurants/shops, etc... A new auditorium (Ford Center) and minor league baseball field along with other things (convention center, botanical center, water taxi canal) all within the same few miles walking distance.

See the event listings for Ford Center:
Ford Center - Oklahoma City

Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
dsjeffries...WOW! I'm not sure that I have any questions after that post. You gave a very detailed synopsis of each city, their amenities, and their ("prospective perceptive," as I call it) pros and cons.

Yet again, another good impression rendered of Oklahoma and Oklahomans.

You know, Texas was really my top choice before I posted this question. Now I'm leaning more towards...Oklahoma! I can place a request of where I would prefer to be transferred to, but ultimately my employer makes that decision. I'm going to request TX AND OK.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 33,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
75 and 169 are toll-free!
That's true, but neither are interstates and are only 'major highways' in Tulsa. Go north on 75 and when you reach Kansas, it's a two-lane highway. Same with 169.

In addition to the information in my previous post (which I can't seem to edit for some reason), I found this snippet today about Tulsa's and Oklahoma City's housing markets:

Quote:
MSN Real Estate posted a story today that ranked the top 66 cities where buying a home makes sense in the midst of the national housing slump. Both Oklahoma City and Tulsa were ranked in the top 25 metropolitan areas with Tulsa coming in at number 14 and Oklahoma City at number 22. The article estimates how much equity a person can build in their home by 2012 by comparing the difference between 6, 7 and 8 percent loans. You can read the article and see the complete list by clicking here.

jcm, if you want/need any more information, other than the criteria that you listed (and from which I tried not to stray), just ask

Old 07-22-2008, 11:59 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjeffries View Post
That's true, but neither are interstates and are only 'major highways' in Tulsa. Go north on 75 and when you reach Kansas, it's a two-lane highway. Same with 169.

In addition to the information in my previous post (which I can't seem to edit for some reason), I found this snippet today about Tulsa's and Oklahoma City's housing markets:

jcm, if you want/need any more information, other than the criteria that you listed (and from which I tried not to stray), just ask
[/font]
Every road in Kansas is a two lane road! That's why there is a sign as you enter Kansas that reads "Welcome to Kansas, please turn your clocks back 50 years".

Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 PM

20 posts, read 382,260 times
I live in Moore and I think that you'd be very happy in Norman or OKC. That being said I like Tulsa and think that you'd be happy there as well. I could give you a more OKC centric listing of pros and cons but that is not necessary. Just make the most out of whatever decision that you make.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
As it turns out, the potential to relocate to Oklahoma with my current company fell through. I just found out last week. So...while I'm not angry or unhappy, I have decided to look for something else outside of my retailer where I can actually earn a living.

I have narrowed my choices down to four cities in TX and OK, including Oklahoma City, and Tulsa. Obviously, Houston's job growth is phenomenal, so I'm naturally inclined to apply for jobs there. However, I've still found about 20 jobs thus far in Oklahoma for which I qualify and intend to apply for some of those.

So all hope is not lost! Once again, thanks Okies!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
As it turns out, the potential to relocate to Oklahoma with my current company fell through. I just found out last week. So...while I'm not angry or unhappy, I have decided to look for something else outside of my retailer where I can actually earn a living.

I have narrowed my choices down to four cities in TX and OK, including Oklahoma City, and Tulsa. Obviously, Houston's job growth is phenomenal, so I'm naturally inclined to apply for jobs there. However, I've still found about 20 jobs thus far in Oklahoma for which I qualify and intend to apply for some of those.

So all hope is not lost! Once again, thanks Okies!
Good luck in your search. Let us know how you make out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma