Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have visited Hobart several times to see our son and his family. The town has a charm that we love,and may some day retire there. It seems to be close enough to some larger towns without all the hustle bustle. I know kids may be bored,but believe me they are bored in large cities too,with or without money. The parenrs need to take more interest in the kids and not rely on their friends or the schools. If you keep them busy with constructive events or chores they will learn responsibility and respect for themsevles and others too. Back to Hobart; we love the town and its people they are so friendly and helpful. You could do worse,far worse than live there.

Last edited by omyppoa; 09-11-2009 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: punctuation errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
But how far do you have to go from Hobart when you need advanced medical treatment for heart problems or cancer? My parents were plenty far, an hour's drive away to Oklahoma City and Tulsa when they needed treatment for their heart problems not available in Stillwater.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,811 times
im from altus i was born there and i think you should deffinetly not move there!!!! omg!!! ppl i kno and friends have got shot and killed there there is alot of gang violence there just if you have to move there go to the college do something positive cuz the most you will find there is ex-cons druggies or hoolagans trust me dude!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omyppoa View Post
my wife and i have visited hobart several times to see our son and his family. The town has a charm that we love,and may some day retire there. It seems to be close enough to some larger towns without all the hustle bustle. I know kids may be bored,but believe me they are bored in large cities too,with or without money. The parenrs need to take more interest in the kids and not rely on their friends or the schools. If you keep them busy with constructive events or chores they will learn responsibility and respect for themsevles and others too. Back to hobart; we love the town and its people they are so friendly and helpful. You could do worse,far worse than live there.
um ok if you say so i lived in hobart almost all my life and didnt do crap but get into trouble and watch my family and there relationship go down the tube cuz ppl talk too much ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate hobart!!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM

120 posts, read 425,110 times
From what I've seen of Hobart, I'd never live there BUT, my father-in-law is now the Undersheriff there and has told me the town had suffered from a corrupt Sheriff for a number of years, which includes the deputies. He's trying to change their reputation.
His son, my brother-in-law, grew up there and was glad to leave. He's now in Tulsa but he seems to have liked the schools he attended and the "small town" feel. He never knew anything BUT Hobart until he went to college.
He was offered a position to move back after college but chose Tulsa instead.
Anyway, from what I've seen of the place, it was like any other small town I've ever encountered. Bored children, especially teenagers, as well as high drug and alcohol use and a LOT of GOSSIP!
BTW, Snyder is worse IMO. The only thing I liked in Snyder was the Mexican Food place on the corner.....
Good luck.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
I've lived in Hobart most of my life. Alot of my family is still here. I'm a small town girl so I choose to stay here. It's true there is nothing to do here for the kids and most of them can't wait to leave here when they get out of school and I can't blame them. I have no kids but lots of nieces and nephews,some went to school here and some didn't. The schools are basically the same as any small town. Not enough money,a little behind,too much focus on sports and not enough on education,art music and exercise. It all depends on who you are and how much money you're family has as to how you're accepted in school,sports and jobs. It shouldn't be this way anywhere but sadly it's worse than when I was in school. They don't accept change even if it's best for the kids or for the community. We need jobs here and in this part of the state. This is a retirement town no matter what some say. They cater to them. If they cared about the future of this town like they say they do,they would do ANYTHING to get jobs in here for the working people. Several yrs ago a few restuarant chains wanted to come in but they wouldn't let them because it would take business from the towns people who had businesses. So sad. It would've brought in business,people,jobs,housing. So instead we lost businesses and jobs,people moved away and people don't want to come here because there are NO JOBS AND NO DECENT HOUSING! Either you have money already or you don't. If you do,you can have nice decent housing,if you don't then you're stuck with whatever you can find for a huge price. The rent here is outragious for a town with no good paying jobs. Everything you make goes on rent,bills and food. If you have kids it's so much harder to live. I'll bet 40% of the population drives out of town to work. I know I do. There is alot of drugs and drinking among the kids and adults but I think that's everywhere these days. If you're retired and can drive to go do something,you'll probably like it here. They have built 2 different apt complexes for the disabled and low income seniors but you have to be on disability or 62yrs old. So there are 3 different apt complexes for the elderly here and no apt space and houses for the rest. They are even building an adult living center for seniors to purchas. See what I mean. What abt us that are in our 40's-50's and have low income and have some disabilities and can only work PT? That's the run down as I see it and I've talked to alot of people abt it. Oh,and what was said abt the sheriff being corrupt,it's true. The sheriff and undersheriff we had for abt 20yrs was terrible. That's one reson why the drug situation got so out of hand all those yrs ago. Heck they would warn the drug dealers when OSBI was coming into town. What kind of law is that. Then the stupid people went and voted the corrupt undersheriff as the new sheriff when he retired. Thankfully he only served 1 term and the ones we have now at least appear to care. I know the sheriff worked for them and was very displeased how they ran things and the undersheriff now is a retired highway patrolman.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doriselm View Post
We are roaming around the internet trying to find a nice place to live in OK. Hobart seemed like a nice area. Chickasha did also, but the crime there might be a factor to stay away from that area. As I have read in many threads, people still are yearning for friendly towns and that is encouraging. That is also what we are looking for. It is far out, but need some info to make sure it has cable and internet access and all that good stuff, and necessary stuff. Sounds like we want it all, but it's not the case, just thinking of our kids. Thanks and really appreciate any feedback.
i heard, Hobart is a good place..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinking View Post
i heard, Hobart is a good place..
There's gotta be a better place. People ought to inquire more often about the really good towns in Oklahoma, such as ones that are actually growing, rather than slowing fading away into ghost towns.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,224 times
Frankly, it is not surprising to me that someone from Snyder would "bad mouth" Hobart. Snyder has been angry at Hobart ever since 1907, when Hobart was made the County Seat instead of Snyder. I grew up in Hobart in the fifties and sixties, and I must say that the comment about "there is nothing for the kids to do in Hobart" rang as true then as now. Name me a small town that actually HAS something for kids to do. So far as the Hobart Public Schools are concerned: Hobart is no different than most small towns. I managed to get a decent education in Hobart; better than a lot of kids from much larger places. A person just has to decide that they are going to GET an education, not wait on someone to magically hand it to them. Frankly, I think most of the issues mentioned here are from crybabies who cannot spell or use decent grammar, which, incidentally, I learned from Joe Woodruff when I was attending Hobart High School.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
If you have the option to consider other cities for your needs, look at Durant. Its growing and has pretty good schools. There is a small college there. Its near DFW airport if you need air access. I grew up there so biased likely but give it a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma