Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinamin46 View Post
Santa Ana is the worst city to live in, as far as Orange County goes. And I am not the only person who says or think this. Just ask the cops in Santa Ana.

I lived in an apartment for 2 1/2 years. Without going into all of the details, it was the most dangerous place I ever lived. Ever! I moved to Orange when I could afford to get out of there. However, I still work in Santa Ana. The only good thing about it (IMHO) is the Mexican food places, they're the bomb!
I've been to Santa Ana countless times (mostly during the day) without incident..

That doesn't mean I recommend it either.. the traffic is my biggest deterrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
One of the things I've noticed since moving to Orange county is that the people here are incredibly sheltered and label Santa Ana and West Anaheim as "ghettos" for no other reason than they can.

I grew up in downtown Las Vegas. The scum of downtown Las Vegas walk around like they own the place. I saw it all as a kid.

Talk to me when Santa Ana's map resembles that of Las Vegas. Then we will talk. Until then I'll take the whinge to be that of sheltered middle class and wealthy people who have nothing but vitriol to level against a city that is more ethnic than their little stretch of paradise in overpriced Newport Beach.

Oh, and here is a crime map of Las Vegas for y'all. Notice its lit up like Christmas.

Santa Ana is ethnic? Sure. Santa Ana has crime? Sure. But really horrible and awful and bad Santa Ana is not.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
One of the things I've noticed since moving to Orange county is that the people here are incredibly sheltered and label Santa Ana and West Anaheim as "ghettos" for no other reason than they can.

Until then I'll take the whinge to be that of sheltered middle class and wealthy people who have nothing but vitriol to level against a city that is more ethnic than their little stretch of paradise in overpriced Newport Beach.
NEWSFLASH: Newport Beach doesn't define OC.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
And yet my wife grew up in a shady area and still sees Santa Ana as a dump.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,064 times
Quote:
Santa Ana is ethnic? Sure. Santa Ana has crime? Sure. But really horrible and awful and bad Santa Ana is not.
Of course there are worse places than Santa Ana, like parts of Africa and Mexico, but we're talking about Orange County. It is the worst there and that does make it horrible and awful and bad relative to everywhere else in Orange County, except Anaheim which gives it a run for its money.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Of course there are worse places than Santa Ana, like parts of Africa and Mexico, but we're talking about Orange County. It is the worst there and that does make it horrible and awful and bad relative to everywhere else in Orange County, except Anaheim which gives it a run for its money.

Another absurd generalization.

Santa Ana is a big city. There are good and bad parts and parts in between. One way to spot the people who have no real knowlege of the City are the ones who engage in grosse generalizations like "The whole place is a dump"

Parts of it are a dump. Parts are beautiful. Parts are in between.

For example, nowhere in much touted Irvine is there a neighborhood as nice as Floral Park in Santa Ana.

Many parts of Santa Ana are as nice or nicer than many parts of Tustin, Orange, Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Fullerton, SJC. Some parts of Santa Ana touch parts of Irvine, some parts touch Costa Mesa, some touch Newport Beach (I think) and there is no way to know whether you cross from one to the other. In those areas they are exactly the same.

Best to ignore the silliness based on nothing. When you start to hear gross generalizations, turn off your ears and find someone with actual knowledge.

When you get an answer "It depends on where you are" you may have found someone who actually knows something about the city.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:44 PM

You need to pick up a Thomas Guide. Santa Ana doesn't touch Newport Beach except for the airport property which is unincorporated but carries a Santa Ana address. Santa Ana has a small border with Irvine but its industrial on both sides so its not like people in $700k houses in Irvine are within spitting distance of the slums of Santa Ana. Even the nicer parts of Santa Ana are still surrounded by the nasty parts. What's the point of paying HB prices to live in a little island surrounded by crap?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,064 times
Santa Ana is only 22 square miles and is the 4th most densely populated city in the USA, with 12,471 people per square mile. They don’t fit these people in sky scrapers and big tenement buildings like New York. Nope, they’re stuffed into single family homes and apartments, also known as clown houses.

Santa Ana averages more than 1 homicide per square mile, annually.

I can imagine the conversations that see-no-evil Santa Ana resident fanboys have with their children after every murder:

Quote:
"Daddy, I heard sirens again today and Johnny at school said another guy got shot and killed. "

"Honey, these things happen in our special Orange County city called Santa Ana. Besides, it's so crowded here that most bullets will hit someone or something else before hitting us. Let's go to the park and swing and enjoy the beauty of our city. Those people in Irvine and Newport Beach don't know what they're missing!"

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You need to pick up a Thomas Guide. Santa Ana doesn't touch Newport Beach except for the airport property which is unincorporated but carries a Santa Ana address.
Pretty much all of ward one borders Irvine and A bit of Tustin. Get out your map. Find ward one. Look to the South and east. That is called Irvine.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pretty much all of ward one borders Irvine and A bit of Tustin.
I'm looking at a Thomas Guide now. The only border between SA and Irvine I see is along the 55 freeway, south of Alton, along Alton, and along Red Hill between Dyer and Alton. Page 829. Basically an industrial area under the approach to John Wayne. There's no neighborhoods in Irvine over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County