Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times

Advertisements

Dakicka,

I have lived in Orange County for over 15 years finally deciding to move to AZ. Am I entirely happy here, no, of course not but I certainly realized OC was not a place that I could continue to live in mainly due to financial reasons (cost of housing). I had a decent job and could afford living there on a rent but would not be able to but a house. If you are financially well off then you will make it in OC but more importantly fit in better.

Not everyone in OC is $$ minded but most of those people are from out of state transplants, those who were born and/or raised mainly in OC with a silver spoon will not likely to provide you a satisfying friendship (guys) or relationship (girls). There is culture in OC but not the culture you are used to in the East coast, it is different enough to make you think it has no culture.
LA is a lot more insane place to live in but it offers a bit diversity and culture for sure. Most of OC is built on Hollywood mentality, looks and lifestyle is priority number 1, of course this will make some people go "that is not true" or "oh please" because to those people that is either normal or not something that bothers them enough to do anything about.

I can go for hours and hours but I will cut it short. Here is the odd part, I was comfortable while living in Southern part of OC and most of the things you mentioned either never bothered me or simply I got used to them after 15 years. The area is really nice, the best weather year-round (those who never showeled snow or had their nuts frozen for weeks, months at a time might argue saying it lacks 4-seasons...whatever).

Ok, I have been drinking a bit and my thoughts have become completely incoherent at this point, to wrap this up before I pass out, you can't come from a differnt city, state and concentrate on differences and/or negative sides. This will make you really bitter and cynical and cause you to prematurely misjudge it.
East coast is East Coast and this is Orange County, CA, they are different, each with their good and bad sides. Ultimately, you have to decide what makes you happy, what your priorities in life are but give it some time to see if you can adjust, 6 months is not enough. Don't be too opinionated, it won't bring you happiness or make things OK.
Eventually, you will either adapt or leave but always remember the reasons that made you move here and more importantly (assuming they are different) remember the reasons why you left where you used to live.

I am really buzzed so I am gonna head to bed, good luck to you. May be you will feel a lot better when you find a nice girl or something else to make you feel more welcome.

~TL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 02:54 AM

198 posts, read 931,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
sort of like "free your mind and your ass will follow" ?
I'm sorry, but I love this... I think I'd have more fun if I freed my mind more often. ^_^

Old 09-29-2007, 06:22 PM

111 posts, read 226,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Change your thoughts to be positive and I bet everything else around you will shift as a result

Yep, I'm a big believer in the Law of Attraction
I agree. It sounds like you read all the negative drivel that losers post on these forums, you came to expect it moving to OC, and as a result you got it.

I'm from NJ too and my experience moving to and living in OC has been 110% positive!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:43 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,902 times
Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
I agree. It sounds like you read all the negative drivel that losers post on these forums, you came to expect it moving to OC, and as a result you got it.

I'm from NJ too and my experience moving to and living in OC has been 110% positive!!!

That is very true... one question I have is how come there is so much negativity on the OC forum? Check LA and SD and there is little or no mention of the negativity experiences with people and their personalities/priorities. I'm sure these theories didn't develop out of thin air, somehow the consensus seems to say there is a LOT of snooty, stuck-up, superficial, money-driven/obsessed people.

I also agree with the post above, If I was to meet a decent girl or a couple good friends after a while I'm sure the tides will change for me, right now it sucks b/c I go to work, come home, hit the gym, go out for a beer and go to bed. I have 1 or 2 friends I hang out with on occassion and its pretty much me vs. the world I feel right now since I'm the new guy. Although I have been meeting a lot of golf buddies.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:11 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
I also agree with the post above, If I was to meet a decent girl or a couple good friends after a while I'm sure the tides will change for me, right now it sucks b/c I go to work, come home, hit the gym, go out for a beer and go to bed. I have 1 or 2 friends I hang out with on occassion and its pretty much me vs. the world I feel right now since I'm the new guy. Although I have been meeting a lot of golf buddies.
I was buzzed and perhaps a bit 1-sided but negative comments I made, even though debatable, have some truth in it but more importantly and as you asknowledged as well, when you build your circle of friends and also find a good girl, you will not have the time or intention to care for all this trivial matters that catches your eye left and right because you are alone, bored and possibly not happy. OC may not be for everyone but it truly is a nice place to live if you can afford it and can adapt to its lifestyle.
I have the same dilemma in Phoenix but it shouldn't give me the right to poop on the city just because I am feeling depressed.
you seem like a nice guy, keep working on a 6 pack and not so much on a beer belly and soon enough you will find a hottie and forget all of this nonsense chatter by the time you finish your cookie.

Good Luck to you.

~TL

Old 09-30-2007, 02:15 PM

198 posts, read 931,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I was buzzed and perhaps a bit 1-sided but negative comments I made, even though debatable, have some truth in it but more importantly and as you asknowledged as well, when you build your circle of friends and also find a good girl, you will not have the time or intention to care for all this trivial matters that catches your eye left and right because you are alone, bored and possibly not happy. OC may not be for everyone but it truly is a nice place to live if you can afford it and can adapt to its lifestyle.
I have the same dilemma in Phoenix but it shouldn't give me the right to poop on the city just because I am feeling depressed.
you seem like a nice guy, keep working on a 6 pack and not so much on a beer belly and soon enough you will find a hottie and forget all of this nonsense chatter by the time you finish your cookie.

Good Luck to you.

~TL
...this is probably the reason I run into very few plastic people anymore. I have a great set of friends and pretty much just split all my free time between those good friends and my family, so I don't really notice plastic anymore. I don't have time to.

I met all my good friends in college through a few great student organizations (and a few from high school)... maybe getting involved in adult clubs/organizations or adult sports leagues would help you meet some decent people.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:22 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,231 times
1 and 2 - San Diego is laid back and definitely has less pretentious people that don't size you up to see what you are worth how many people do in the OC. Money is important to many in the OC so I can see how networking is constantly on the mind in building relationships.

3 - Generally speaking, people tend to be ridiculously materialistic and love to live beyond their means just for perceived "status".

4 - OC may lack culture because there is no sharing of thoughts in a society where everyone is for themselves. Neighbors hardly talk to each other...it is a strange place.

5 - I agree there isn't much to do in the OC and the beaches are overrated and way too crowded and dirty. San Diego has around the same population - better beaches and more exciting things to do. OC people have to drive to LA where the fun is and that's just too far of a commute when you consider traffic.

6 - I think some people just play dumb for attention kind of like Jessica Simpson. The rich dumb blonde and surfer is attractive in the OC as long as they have money. Intelligence is secondary for trust fund kids.

7 - Yes, there are lots of snooty people in OC. SD is laid back yet there is plenty to do, cheaper, better beaches and less people.

If you can get a good job in SD, I say go for it. There is no reason to stay here if it's not for family, career, or money that is keeping you in the OC.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 AM

111 posts, read 226,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
That is very true... one question I have is how come there is so much negativity on the OC forum? Check LA and SD and there is little or no mention of the negativity experiences with people and their personalities/priorities. I'm sure these theories didn't develop out of thin air, somehow the consensus seems to say there is a LOT of snooty, stuck-up, superficial, money-driven/obsessed people.
I honestly think it's due to a combination of envy, and the myths about OC that people believe from dumb television shows. I have some friends up in LA who actually believe that we live like the garbage you see on "real housewives" or whatever. You also have to realize that a lot of these posts come from anti-republicans who rag on OC because it's a heavily republican county. Especially elitist snobs from places like NYC or SF who think their political standing makes them better than everyone else. They're the ones posting about "culture."

Having also been to SD quite a bit I find OC to be a lot friendlier. I've encountered a lot of rudeness and pretense in SD, more so than in OC. Also, interestingly, I have an internet business and we ship several hundred orders per week all over the world and for some reason most of our problem customers are from SD, the ones who always try to get something for free and will never be happy no matter what you do for them. It's so bad I've thought about blocking all orders from SD County. I asked some other business owners about this and they all said "Yes, now that you mention it, most of our problem customers are from SD too!!'

Weird, but true....

Old 10-01-2007, 03:23 AM

317 posts, read 1,758,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLQ View Post
1 and 2 - San Diego is laid back and definitely has less pretentious people that don't size you up to see what you are worth how many people do in the OC. Money is important to many in the OC so I can see how networking is constantly on the mind in building relationships.

3 - Generally speaking, people tend to be ridiculously materialistic and love to live beyond their means just for perceived "status".

4 - OC may lack culture because there is no sharing of thoughts in a society where everyone is for themselves. Neighbors hardly talk to each other...it is a strange place.

5 - I agree there isn't much to do in the OC and the beaches are overrated and way too crowded and dirty. San Diego has around the same population - better beaches and more exciting things to do. OC people have to drive to LA where the fun is and that's just too far of a commute when you consider traffic.

6 - I think some people just play dumb for attention kind of like Jessica Simpson. The rich dumb blonde and surfer is attractive in the OC as long as they have money. Intelligence is secondary for trust fund kids.

7 - Yes, there are lots of snooty people in OC. SD is laid back yet there is plenty to do, cheaper, better beaches and less people.

If you can get a good job in SD, I say go for it. There is no reason to stay here if it's not for family, career, or money that is keeping you in the OC.

Just about all you said above I 100% agree with and relate to. All these thoughts have been going through my mind since moving out here. My main objective when moving from NJ was to move somewhere with an ideal climate, slow myself down a bit, play more golf, and enjoy life and have a fun, happening night life, and bustling career. Some of the items on my list have been taken care of in OC (ideal climate, play more golf, bustling career) but the other items I feel I'm missing out on: enjoy life/day to day activities, happening nightlife, and slowing myself down (in fact I feel as fast as nj/nyc was, oc is ridiculously fast paced (mainly on the roads) although people at grocery stores, in line, waitress service, etc. is super slow, but people are fast when it comes to driving like a jerk and cutting someone off or just pretty much moving fast without regard to anyone around you whether it's driving, walking in the mall, etc.

So to bring back to light what CLQ mentioned above.... is San Diego a better place considering the items that tick me off such as what they stated and what I am looking for to make me happy? If SD sounds right, where would be specific areas to live that may suit my ideal life? Again Im in my late 20's, single and mentioned what I like above...

Is SD really THAT much LESS pretentious and status/money oriented then OC? I heard from many people it is just a SO CAL thing? Or is it worst in OC/LA area and maybe less in SD? I hate to keep harping on these thoughts but I haven't gotten much feedback and direct responses to the matter and feelings/questions I have.

If anyone has specific examples or experience, please mention that too. Thank You so much!

PS Point 6 on what CLQ wrote could be no closer to the perceived truth I feel for OC. It seems like dumb, blonde, fake boob, and ditzy people reign supreme out here as well as surfers/punks/skaters as long as they are in a money family. It is quite sickening.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
I'm 26 and moved to SD from TX 3 yrs. ago...I love it here and most people I know feel the same way. I live in pacific beach, which has a fratty college vibe, but there are also a lot of friendly, young 20s-30s people. Didn't know anyone when I moved here...but, have made lots of friends. I've never lived in the OC, but, the laid-back, non-pretentious types really outnumber the fake, materialistic people in my opinion. There are a lot of things to do. Everyone is looking to have a good time...bbqs, beach, golf, bike-riding...sd has it all. On weekend nights I like to go to the Gaslamp, which is only a 10 min. cab ride...there are bars in pb but they're full of fratastic people. The only problem with sd is that good jobs are far and in-between....but, people don't care. Unfortunately for me, I do...my company is re-locating to Irvine, and I'm really worried about everything that I'm reading on the OC forum. I didn't think that your post was negative..it's your opinion and you were honest. I hated living in Dallas for a lot of the same reasons in your post. I want to keep an open mind, but does it just suck being a young, single person in the OC?! Please help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County