Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 10,399 times

Advertisements

Hello

My Husband and i are moving from Australia to Huntington Beach and need help finding a home!
Can any one recommend any nice Apartment communities? Which are the best and which ones should we avoid?
I Keep finding lovely apartments then jump on yelp.com for reviews and they end up being terrible, i feel like im going round in circles Please help

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Apartments suck (lack of parking, lack of insulation, hearing your neighbors fart, etc) so you'll see a lot of complaints. Plus a lot of apartment renters are trash who complain on the Internet when they're expected to pay their rent.

Two areas to avoid:

1) The complex in the northwest corner of Warner Ave and Edwards.

2) The area bounded by Beach Blvd, Gothard St, Warner Ave, and Talbert Ave. That area is known locally as the Slater Slums.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Two areas to avoid:

2) The area bounded by Beach Blvd, Gothard St, Warner Ave, and Talbert Ave. That area is known locally as the Slater Slums.
I would extend that north to Edinger.

Also stay away from the ratholes near Brookhurst and Atlanta.

My recommendation is to stay within 1.5 miles off the beach.

There are numerous apartments in the Downtown Huntington Beach Area. but tenants in these apartments tend to be very transient and some of these complexes seem a bit shady. They get better the further you get away from Main street.

Huntington Harbour is a bit quieter, near the beach also has alot of private apartments. Best way to find them is to walk or bike ride through the area. Our Condo community has a few units for rent, but they tend to be expensive (over $2200)
Harbor Lights is the best one in the area.

The Breakers are near the beach, close to downtown (without the BS).

Expect to pay between 1200 - 1900 for any HB Apartment.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM

6 posts, read 16,862 times
Hey there : D my best friend is from Tasmania<3 I've tried to get her to visit me out here haha...but it's kind of interesting to see a couple from Aus moving over here.

Well from my knowledge from living there for two years HB is a little touristy for my tastes, I much prefer Laguna Beach or Newport coast but sense you'll be moving here I will share with you what I know as I've been looking for a new apartment myself...

Huntington Manor Apartments
19161 Delaware St, Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Timberwalk Apartments
19131 Florida St, Huntington Beach, CA 92648

I've also heard, based on reviews that Huntington Breakers apartments are pretty nice.

There are a few other places that I know are pretty decent/good. And If I could afford them or I didn't have a large dog i'd probably move to them myself, but they are not in HB.

Anyway good luck on finding your future home! hope I could help at least a little : ]

Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM

[quote=Eveliastar;27752264]Hey there : D my best friend is from Tasmania<3 I've tried to get her to visit me out here haha...but it's kind of interesting to see a couple from Aus moving over here.

Oh thankyou for your help!

We are actually from Tasmania as well! haha and knowing tasmania we probably know her, what is her name? She is totally missing out, California is beautiful! Hence why we are moving there haha. we have visited twice now and love it!

Yes Huntington is quite touristy, i think we are leaning more towards Huntington harbor or seal beach it seems a little more relaxed!

Its really hard trying to find a home sitting on the other side of the world.

cheers

Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM

The friendliest towns in America - Yahoo! Homes
Check out number 4.

I love Seal Beach. Very kicked backed, very friendly and unpretentious. Decent night life. restaurants and shops. Close enough to Downtown HB and Belmont Shore (Long Beach).

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The friendliest towns in America - Yahoo! Homes
Check out number 4.

I love Seal Beach. Very kicked backed, very friendly and unpretentious. Decent night life. restaurants and shops. Close enough to Downtown HB and Belmont Shore (Long Beach).

It sounds lovely, All we are after is a nice/safe area close to the beach!
Do you know of any websites that have private rental listings by any chance?

Cheers

Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM

254 posts, read 442,568 times
Seal Beach is absolutely darling! And you'll be very close to Long Beach which has a lot to do and, although technically L.A. County, has been adopted by Orange County. People who rent in SB tend to stick around FOREVER and there's a great community vibe.

I lived in H.B. for several years in the late 90s, but it was a completely different place then. Less commercial, but more racist. Still, I enjoyed it while I was there. The beach life is fantastic.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Sondeera: Seal Beach is in Orange County (unless you were talking about Long Beach)

Ozigrl: There are lots of private rentals. Craigslist is the best place to get your feet wet, but the best way to look is to actually walk through the village and see what is available. The ideal place to look is on the ocean side of PCH. You may want to do a short term lease at Oakwood until you find what you like. Don't discount the Belmont Shore Area of Long Beach, either

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM

Oh cool thanks for all the info it has been great!

Question about Seal Beach..
Are there any areas to avoid? Only reason i ask is because i found a great place at The Gables, However apparently there is this really crazy guy that lives there by the name of John Patrick Rogers?? :z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County