Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Ehh . . . I've driven through the Oceanside area once. Its beautiful, but still seems crowded and built up enough to not be THAT big of a change of pace from the OC. If you wanted a southern California coastal town thats quiet and slower paced - I'm more likely to go with Santa Barbara. Or, if one wants to stay close to OC or San Diego, and don't mind being further from the ocean, I'd go with Temecula-Murietta on the other side of the Santa Anas, avocado country. Or Ventura County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
When did this thread become about me and where I choose to live? I didn't ask anyone for their opinion on where I want to live. And I don't care what your opinions are.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
This may sound a bit odd, but I am starting to view California as an old friend who sadly, is terminally ill and is not going to rally and become healthy again. Therefore, I am trying to decide if it is time to bail.
However, I know it is easy to become frustrated and make decisions based on that frustration, so I'm asking for some feedback or good reasons to stay in California.

I am single, live in Lemon Heights, female, great job, some travel so I get away a few times per month on business, good friends, healthy. I make enough to have fun, shop, etc. However, the crowds, traffic and most of all the freaking taxes are killing me.

Talk me off the ledge or push me off!
Aw sorry to hear. I was planning of doing the opposite - moving there. Other than taxes, why don't you want to stay?

(Remember that Seattle has almost 10% sales tax! ) (But no income tax! )

Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 PM

128 posts, read 179,612 times
North County area of San Diego is definitely nice.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Aw sorry to hear. I was planning of doing the opposite - moving there. Other than taxes, why don't you want to stay?

(Remember that Seattle has almost 10% sales tax! ) (But no income tax! )
and property taxes are lower than Omaha, NE.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 PM

274 posts, read 470,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
This may sound a bit odd, but I am starting to view California as an old friend who sadly, is terminally ill and is not going to rally and become healthy again. Therefore, I am trying to decide if it is time to bail.
However, I know it is easy to become frustrated and make decisions based on that frustration, so I'm asking for some feedback or good reasons to stay in California.

I am single, live in Lemon Heights, female, great job, some travel so I get away a few times per month on business, good friends, healthy. I make enough to have fun, shop, etc. However, the crowds, traffic and most of all the freaking taxes are killing me.

Talk me off the ledge or push me off!
Go to Philadelphia or Mississippi, which is where I'm from, your life will be much better. People are nicer, lots to do in short distant in Philly. In Miss., people are so nice and helpful. Taxes are lower, and there's not much traffic. If I were you, head to Philly!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Judging by the fact that 3,5000,000+ people have left California over the past 20 years according to Joel Kotkin, and an accelerating shortage of children caused by that flight is going to lead to devastating consequences for the citizens who remain sooner than you think, it's pretty clear that the exodus has been in higher gear for many years.

Governor Brown's progressive fetish is making a party which isn't middle-class friendly and hasn't been for decades even less so; when pleasing environmentalists and civil service unions is of paramount importance, everybody else gets shafted---look no farther than our prices for gasoline and real estate, as well as Schwarzenegger's ludicrous signing of the Global Warming Solutions Act several years ago, another job-killing monstrosity as if this state needed another one in the first place.

Renting a U-Haul from Huntington beach or LA to Dallas-Ft. Worth is roughly TRIPLE the price of doing the reverse, which is the best evidence there is, although that certainly is an 'under the radar' method of determining supply and demand which millions of folks aren't aware of.

Once the Fed is forced to stop manipulating the housing market by keeping interest rates at rock bottom level as opposed to returning to the market-based level which is much higher when international events make it a must, another crash is inevitable, and could be worse than the last one.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
Go to Philadelphia or Mississippi, which is where I'm from, your life will be much better. People are nicer, lots to do in short distant in Philly. In Miss., people are so nice and helpful. Taxes are lower, and there's not much traffic. If I were you, head to Philly!
Ohhhhhhhhhh-- ALL THAT HUMIDITY.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
luckodeirish~ I'm wondering how old you are? I lived in California for my entire life until last year. I agree the state is in a downward spiral unhealthy situation. However, family and friends who are still there have faith that it will rise again. I knew southern California when it was full of orange groves, lemon groves, two lane roads and fun things to do. It will never be like that again (Lemon Heights actually had lemon groves). And I'm too old to wait for it to recover to anything I would want to live in. So... if you're young, you have time to wait and see. If not, you will probably only get more disheartened by the day. I loved it there, but am so much happier that I'm out of California, Orange County in particular.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
You're clearly not from Philly! That place (Philadelphia) is a scumhole. Not anywhere you would want to live. I grew up in the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County