Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM

389 posts, read 916,989 times

Advertisements

Pacific2, I would guess that about 1/3 (maybe 1/2) of the communities have association pools. That is not most in my mind. Yes, a city pool is nice to have, but how many families have an adult who is home with the children during the day to really get much use out of it? Another option for someone who is interested in physical fitness would be to look into a Renaissance membership which would also allow access to their pool area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM

75 posts, read 195,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanove View Post
Would if you rented first and then spent a lot of time getting a feel for the areas? That way wouldn't have to rush in buying or over-spending. Just a thought
We are wondering about doing this but our kids changing schools is of concern. The Charter we are in now only went through 6th so this year my 7th grader went to the public middle. This move means a new school for 8th grade :-/

Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
Pacific2, I would guess that about 1/3 (maybe 1/2) of the communities have association pools. That is not most in my mind.
I'm curious, what do you base that low estimate on? My hunch was based upon the fact that every place I looked at when I was in the market to buy, had one. Also, most of the people I know who live in Aliso have a community pool. I don't think they are uncommon. A pool is no big deal.

I don't stand corrected 'cause I want to see some data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
Yes, a city pool is nice to have, but how many families have an adult who is home with the children during the day to really get much use out of it? Another option for someone who is interested in physical fitness would be to look into a Renaissance membership which would also allow access to their pool area.
My understanding is that people seem to make good use of the city pool. BTW, it's not just for use by parents and their children. Singles and unmarried couples also use it.

I agree that Renaissance membership is definitely an option for swimming, and they get a lot of local business, but it's more expensive than using the city pool when it's open. I know it's more convenient.

Last edited by pacific2; 11-05-2013 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Also, it would seem to me that since there are five people in the OP's family, and she has expressed concerns about spending money, it would make more sense to recommend the city pool as a backup if her prospective community lacks a pool, instead of Renaissance ClubSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara910 View Post
the financial OUCH has not worn off yet...
it is highly likely my husbands carer will change slightly and he will be taking a job in Aliso Viejo, only on the same salary (with better bennies and a better bonus potential though) and OUCH! in FL we have no state income tax. Our HOA is $100 a year then out CDD is $2000 a year (rolled into out mortgage) we are looking at getting $500,000 for our home (3 years old, gated neighborhood, 1/2 acre lot, heated pool in the lanai and 3400 sq feet also in a school district that runs 8's and 9's).

Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM

389 posts, read 916,989 times
OP, have you checked the attendance boundaries for the Capistrano district? I sympathize with your child having to make another move to a new school (my children unfortunately have to do the same thing). But with high school starting in grade 9, I would suggest focusing on what high school district you would want to live in -- they are very broad. You can then make every effort to find a home to rent in that area, learning about the area and being aware of homes for sale.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 PM

I definitely stress the importance of the schools from the top down but really don't want ANY mediocre schools as my youngest hasn't started elementary yet either. This may not pan out as the cost is just so much higher than Tampa and then add in State income tax, Mello Roos (possibly), and other changes. Time will tell thank you so much to everyone for helping!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I definitely stress the importance of the schools from the top down but really don't want ANY mediocre schools as my youngest hasn't started elementary yet either. This may not pan out as the cost is just so much higher than Tampa and then add in State income tax, Mello Roos (possibly), and other changes. Time will tell thank you so much to everyone for helping!
OP, it sounds like you have signed off, but if not, and you are still considering the area, then you might want to look at this 3 story 2635 sq ft /3bd/2.5 bth AV townhouse.

It's a live/work setup with about 400 sq ft of commercial space (could be a home office) on the first floor and 2235 sq ft of living space on the second and third floors. A loft is said to be "optional." It's on the market with an asking price of $691,240.

This picture doesn't do that area justice because it actually looks really nice over there. Both the unit and maybe others on this particular block may still be under construction since the site lists a 2014 building date.

The area is located on a hill right above Town Center. There is a community pool. BTW, AV schools are good.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo.../home/52278028

Last edited by pacific2; 11-07-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
OP, it sounds like you have signed off, but if not, and you are still considering the area, then you might want to look at this 3 story 2635 sq ft /3bd/2.5 bth AV townhouse.

Thank you! I'm still here and hubby and I still trying to figure out how to afford this move nd whether we can sell this house

Is there a way to search for homes in a school district?

Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I'm still here and hubby and I still trying to figure out how to afford this move nd whether we can sell this house

Is there a way to search for homes in a school district?
Go to Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin and check the "schools" option during your search (Sometimes, there are bugs and the Redfin site doesn't show the schools). Then, go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to check the school ratings.

Maybe there is a way to check it at the great schools site. Look all over South County to see if you can find something suitable.

BTW, just an aside, don't panic over HOA fees and Mello-Roos. Redfin will list the HOA fees for a home. Then, use the address or tax parcel number and check Mello-Roos fees (if any) at the OC Tax Assessor site:
County of Orange - Treasurer-Tax Collector

Of course, townhouses/condominiums usually have higher HOA fees than SFR's. A home may, or may not, have Mello-Roos. Also, check to see if there are other bond charges, even if there are no Mello-Roos fees listed.

Last edited by pacific2; 11-08-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 01:14 PM

It could pay off to be flexible about the age of the home. For example, this $610,000 5b/2 bth/2139 sq. ft. home in Mission Viejo was constructed in 1973 (Ignore the "decor" ):

26511 VIA CUERVO, Mission Viejo, CA 92691 | MLS# OC13170766 | Redfin

There are no HOA or Mello-Roos charges. According to the tax bill, additional assessments, like vector control only add up to a little over $100/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County